View Poll Results: Which do you prefer voicemail or text?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • T3xting all day

19 22.89%
  • Please leave a message

35 42.17%
  • Doesn't matter

18 21.69%
  • I don't even own a cell phone

7 8.43%
  • Why bother when you have Facebook?

4 4.82%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Don't bother leaving a message" - Texting vs. Voicemail

I pretty much keep in touch with everyone i know though texting. dont even have a voice mail. and phone calls are pretty much limited to grandparents, business, or really important stuff.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

T12/L2 Complete - Nov. 12, 2007

I hate texting mainly because I'm a quad and I'm not fast at it. I dated a guy who would text me all day after about the 10th message, my fingers got tired and I had to make excuses that I had to go, we did talk but only when he got off work or during a break. Voicemail works for me but I also won't check a voicemail if I don't recognize the number since spammers can now call your cell phone.

texting = wasted energy...

Wait a minute...isn't this the reason why we have the damn phone to begin with? So we don't have to send letters?????

I simply don't get "texting"...call me and tell me what you want...otherwise, leave a message..

I AM NOT A TEXTER, but it has its place in technology, and there are times i prefer a text than a call or voice mail.
    one thing about text, it is faster to get the info , this can be important if your in nyc in and out of a subway , on the way to meet someone.
    if they call , it may go to vm , now you have to stay above ground nad try and listen to the vm, there is no reception in the subways.
    a text works much btter in this position, i m 15 minutes lates, i can read that and still catch the next train, if it was a vm i may miss the next train, and i may ne 30 minutes late at that time.
    so for that tech stuff ut works great, also text messaging will receive and send in many areas that the voice reception id cutting out.
    the big rip off with the phone companies, txt is free , it is using free not billed space, they are making a killing on this text craze, we are getting really ripped off
    cauda equina

Texting is also a heck of a lot cheaper than phoning long distance ... it's handy for my new male friend as he's all over the northeastern states at any given time hauling produce.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

This discussion is interesting.

I am surprised that some people seem almost insulted by a text message. To me, a voice call or message that takes several minutes to call and listen to is not only inconvenient but inefficient. Text messaging is far more efficient. All I have to do is glance at a text message and I would get the required information. When I am driving to pick somebody at an airport, for example, I would much prefer a text message saying that somebody has "arrived Terminal B" than having to stop at the road side to talk to the person or trying to listen to voice mails. I can always call if I need to.

I find it fascinating that some people are citing price as the reason why they don't want to text and would prefer voice. It is hard to imagine why people would think that receiving a text message is more expensive than voice. Even if you have no plan, most service providers charge only 20 cents per message. AT&T offers three plans for text messaging: $20/month for unlimited messages, $15/month for 1500 messages, and $5/month for 200 messages. The $5/month for 200 messages is only 2.5 cents per message. T-mobile, which I use, charges even less, i.e. $5 for 400 messages or $10 for 1000 message per month, i.e. about 1.25 to 1 cent per message.

For overseas communications, there is no question that texting is much much cheaper than voice. For T-mobile, for example, if you send a text message from the U.S. to overseas, it costs 20 cents/message. If you are overseas and receive a message from the U.S, it costs 20 cents per message. If you are overseas and you want to send a text message back to the U.S., it costs 35 cents/message. I pay $15/month for unlimited digital and don't pay anything additional for text messages in the U.S. or overseas.

In contrast, overseas voice costs $1/minute in well-connected countries such as Hong Kong. In China and other less well-connected countries, it costs $2/minute or more to connect by voice. I often rack up $100+ a month just from spurious voice calls and voice messages when I am overseas. Calling voice mail from overseas requires me to dial a separate number and I am charged $1-2 per minute. So, listening to several voice messages may take 5-10 minutes and cost $5-$20 each time. This is 5-20 times more expensive than text messaging. I much prefer that people text me first before they call me on my cell phone. Generally, I will not answer a cell phone call or listen to voice mail overseas unless I recognize the number or receive a text message first.

I think that much also depends on the cell phone that you have. I have a blackberry, which makes it incredibly easy to send and receive text messages. When I receive a text message on the blackberry, it rings a special soft tone and the text messaging application automatically comes to the front. I don't have to do anything but look at the screen. If need be, I can send a short text message (like "ok") back without even looking at the blackberry keyboard or screen. I can't imagine sending text messages on a regular cell phone or even an iphone because you must look at the screen or keyboard to do so.

Finally, you don't have to use all the abbreviations and so on that other people use. If somebody is using such abbrevations with me, I respond in kind. However, most of the time, I just use regular English words. I always sign my text messages because I hate it when people write text messages to me and all I have is a phone number and don't know who it is from. In my opinion, 160 characters is more than enough to express anything but the most complicated situations. It is in fact much longer than what we were use to when telegrams were being used for communications and some very important messages were sent by telegram in the old days.

Wise.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 06-01-2009 at 02:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post

I think that much also depends on the cell phone that you have. I have a blackberry, which makes it incredibly easy to send and receive text messages.
    Wise.
    Definite agreement on the blackberry usage--especially if using the blackberry messenger service in addition to SMS text. I actually keep mine mounted on the windshield while driving so I always see what's coming in. Voicemail or text doesn't really matter to me, though for some family members I REALLY prefer a text because they talk way too much on their messages and I need them to be concise.

In regard to those crazy symbols, being a bit of an English scholar, I am not exactly sure when "3" and "0" became letters. I think one would use the same amount of joules of energy to type either. I'm just sayin'......

oh it's great for short messages (thus "SMS") & I use it often, albeit not daily. However, LOTS of people seem to like to carry on full conversations over texts, which annoys me.

Quote Originally Posted by ChipS View Post
    Wait a minute...isn't this the reason why we have the damn phone to begin with? So we don't have to send letters?????

I simply don't get "texting"...call me and tell me what you want...otherwise, leave a message..
    Agreed, It's a teen and 20 something phenomonon. Adults use it to screw off during meetings etc thus beating the rap of having cell phones go off at work. Many states are passing legislation to make it illegal while driving. Twice,I've had texters veer over into my lane while texting. Both were young women during rush hr as I drove to work. It's childish and dangerous while driving.