View Poll Results: Which do you prefer voicemail or text?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • T3xting all day

19 22.89%
  • Please leave a message

35 42.17%
  • Doesn't matter

18 21.69%
  • I don't even own a cell phone

7 8.43%
  • Why bother when you have Facebook?

4 4.82%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Don't bother leaving a message" - Texting vs. Voicemail

"Don't bother leaving a message" - Texting vs. Voicemail

Recently a friend of mine sent out an e-mail blast advising her friends not to leave her voice messages when calling her cell phone because she will delete them without listening. She stated her preferred means of receiving messages was via text--no exception. I thought that was a bit over the top, but then 8 other people replied and expressed the same sentiment--"don't leave voicemail on my phone because I will not listen to it."

Is this the beginning of the end of verbal telecommunication as we know it? Are we to become a nation of button pushers who don't know how to properly express themselves because pushing buttons makes communicating all to easy?

I notice that some people I know send me e-mail just as if they were texting--with crazy symbols and grammatic abbreviations. Probably a bad habit that needs some breaking.

So CC people what about you?

"Do u h8t3 VM 2?"

I don't like when ppl leave me voicemail cause it costs me money to check it. Usually if I see a missed call, I'll call them back without listening to the voicemail.

In China, leaving a voice message is insulting, particularly if you are doing it to a person of a social rank above you. Most Chinese prefer text messaging. Also, texting in Chinese is much more space-efficient that in western alphabet because each character is a word. What you do is type in the sound of the word (using a system called pin ying, which means to match sounds) and the cell phone will automatically come up with the characters.

Interestingly, voice mail has the same deficits as emails. In China, they prefer live exchanges and texting has more of a live quality than emails. Interactive bulletin board, conference calls, and voice-to-voice exchanges are okay. But, there is no substitute for face-to-face. In the end, if there is something that is important to communicate, it is best done face-to-face and preferably over a meal and alcohol.

http://www.gonomad.com/readuponit/20...-in-china.html

Wise.

VM is a hassle..txt me plz =)
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

I want a voice mail. Not some text that my cellular service will charge me for. Nor to I particularly appreciated the destruction of the spoken sentence into characters and weird abbreviations.

I prefer getting voicemails. They're forwarded to my email address in transcribed form, along with an embedded player to listen to the them.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Texting is still the most informal method of communicating, IMO. I prefer email or VM.

Wise - interesting re: China. Huh.

I'm the opposite, i delete any text messages people send me without reading, i don't do the texting stuff. they can leave me a voicemail or call back, but usually i always answer my cellphone

I prefer email, but tell people to call if urgent
    Last edited by brucec; 05-31-2009 at 08:15 PM. Reason: added
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Texting amongst friends/family. Email or Voicemail otherwise.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I hate voicemails. I know someone has called and I would rather just call them back as to have to listen to a voicemail.

I prefer texting.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown