Page 58 of 60 FirstFirst ... 848495051525354555657585960 LastLast

Thread: power add-on for manual chair

Thanks Pat, also got my anti-tips. Wonderful machine and really gllad I bought it when I did.

I've swapped (with help) the controller to the left side now. It was simple. Instructions on how to swap the controller to either side is in the manual. Straight forward procedure.

I've also taken the anti-tippers off of my chair. I scratched marks into the tube and mounts of my chair to assure the correct camber position when reinstalling the tube. While doing so, I found that my chair has had its tube positioned more than 1/4" off center since factory built. Really nice. I always felt as if it was off but hadn't measured until now.

Without sitting in my ZRa, I backed it onto the ZX-1. Perfect fit. It looks so good. I like how it's difficult to notice that it's even there. Especially with my white colored spoke Spinergy LX wheels. But yeah, backed it on, closed the clamp, picked the wheels a half inch off the floor and just like that, power add-on.

So tomorrow I'll put the backrest on my wheelchair and give the ZX-1 a test drive.

We got the ZX-1

We received the ZX-1 yesterday. I unpackaged it last night, and am going to put it together now.

Overall, everything look like it made it through international shipping without too much damage. We ordered an extra set of batteries, and it looks like one of them leaked a little (see picture). Are they still safe to use after a small leak?

We did not receive the CD-ROM. Can anyone tell us what is on it?

The last picture is of the XZ-1 and the FireFly. I better get moving on putting this all together. More photo's to come....

Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    We did not receive the CD-ROM. Can anyone tell us what is on it?
    Its a manual on a CD, you should get a paper copy
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

My ZX1 has been sitting here idle since I got it, at first it was a bent frog leg [changed it]. Then spinergy rush shipped me a wider aluminum tube that holds the 2 anti tip wheels together. Got that changed but the anti tip wheels still didn't touch my vertical posts even after moving the whole anti tip assembly forward.
    I still have my emotion M15s on, spinergy told me to swap out the M15s w/ my new LX wheels. I can't go up or down the ramp because the zx1 wheels keep spinning so I'm going to swap the wheels tomorrow and see if it makes a difference.
    Also my zx1 doesn't raise my M15s off the ground maybe because the chair + me in it + M15s (50 lbs) is too heavy.
    Another thing I noticed is that my zx1 rocks forward and back when I push forward on joystick and stop - That is caused because my anti tip wheels are not touching the vertical post.
    Spinergy told me that they'll send someone to the chicago abilities expo to correct my problem, they have been really helpful in trying to correct my problem so far.
    We'll see tomorrow after I swap my wheels and if that doesn't work then expo it is
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

I'm glad the ZX-1 arrived, elarson! I hope it goes together well for you with no issues!

Pity about the battery with the leak. I'm sure the battery would perform as is but I'm not sure if I'd trust it. It may continue to leak or fail.

The CD is the same manual as the paper copy.

Mac85, that's a real downer that you haven't been able to use your ZX-1. I hope you get it sorted quickly.

I'd be using mine right now but someone tossed the bolts for my seat back. I'm not even going to get into it. But I am going to be doing some drilling to accommodate different bolts. grrr...

We are so unbelievably excited any happy with the ZX-1. It's a work of art. I got it together okay I think, and only needed to modify the position for the center of gravity. I do not think the anti-tip wheel height needs any adjustments.

Everything is an incredibly tight fit on a 16" wide chair with user-friendly anti-tips, swing-away arm rests, and D's Lock's. I think the stars have aligned for us because there are a few millimeter's of space around all of them and the ZX-1, but they can all be kept on. I was especially surprised about the arm rests, and really happy that we can keep them, because my husband really needs them for transfers when not using the ZX-1.

A few friends came by to see it and think it's really cool. I think they just thought I was crazy talking about the ZX-1 the last year. They were really impressed. We all agree that the engineering is great, and the design is perfect. Only what is needed is there, and there are no un-needed parts. I'm really looking forward to understanding it better (I'm not a motor person) and know mechanical things much better.

I'll get some pictures tomorrow with Rob using it. We both can't wait. Especially with his leg in a long cast, it's really going to make life easier. I think it will also be a quality of life changer for him getting out and around more. Thank you Pat for you wonderful invention!

Here are the initial pictures.

When I first powered it on it would not move. Then I realized that it was in Free Wheel Mode. Once I found the levers it worked fine. They should probably show a picture of the levers. They are on the left and right around the suspension.

I'm confused about a large metal piece and a sort of plastic sstand with clamps and screws that came with the ZX-1. I see no mention of them in the documentation, and don't see them in any of the pictures. Here is what I'm talking about:

When I plugged the charger in I had quite a shock. I did not realize that it was on and there was a bang and then the smell of burning plastic. I turned it off and back on and it appears to be okay, and the ZX-1 is charging.

We ordered a spare set of batteries. Does anyone know if there is a sort of holder or anything for charging them off the ZX-1? I'd like to make sure I keep them charged for when needed.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

You will want to replace the leaky battery. Battery acid eats most things it touches.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Thanks NorthQuad. We are cheering you on with your's too. Bummer about your seat back bolts. My guess is that it was someone trying to help, but not realizing that loosing a screw or two can seriously screw up your mobility.

I won't bother asking for the CD-ROM, because I already have the PDF also. Overall, good documentation. I do want to learn more about it though, i.e., suspension, etc. I think that will come with time.

Sorry for the delays for you Mac85. I hope you can get it sorted too.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthQuad View Post
    I'm glad the ZX-1 arrived, elarson! I hope it goes together well for you with no issues!

I "think" the batteries are charging. When I tested the ZX-1 again it seems to be much faster now. I don't see any of the LED lights working on the charger though. I did check the fuse and it looks okay. Any idea's?

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    When I plugged the charger in I had quite a shock. I did not realize that it was on and there was a bang and then the smell of burning plastic. I turned it off and back on and it appears to be okay, and the ZX-1 is charging.