Page 55 of 60 FirstFirst ... 545464748495051525354555657585960 LastLast

Thread: power add-on for manual chair

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    We are getting a ZX-1 power add-on and a Firefly power handbike in the next couple of weeks. In August we will be taking an international flight from Europe to the US, and then a domestic flight in the US.

I need to book the flights soon, and will need to give information about our equipment requirements. We will be in cities (NYC/Chicago) where the ZX1 would be best for half the trip, and in a wilderness area where I think the Firefly will be best the other half of the trip.

I'm trying to decide if we should take only the ZX-1 or Firefly, or if we could possibly take both. We would need to check the ZX-1 and/or Firefly, but I'm not sure if we would be allowed that much equipment.

Whatever we gate check, I'm thinking of covering with bubble wrap, pallet wrap, or at minimum, cling wrap.

Any idea's, tips, etc?
    Could you put the ZX-1 back in the box it came in?
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by amyk View Post
    but it might be better to send air travel discussions to a new thread - returning this one to the zx1. Although I would like to know if there are plans to evolve the zx1 to dry cell technology...
    x2 on both points

Anyone else receive their ZX-1?

Any surprises out of the box or was it all good?

I agree Amyk. I see now that I should have put it under Recreation, Sports, Travel, & Hobbies. I'll start a new thread there.

[Edit: see Flying with a ZX-1 and/or Firefly]

Quote Originally Posted by amyk View Post
    I... but it might be better to send air travel discussions to a new thread - returning this one to the zx1.
    Last edited by elarson; 06-13-2013 at 01:26 PM. Reason: added new thread
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

My first community trip in ZX!

Yesterday started out with my new, fully charged zx1 for a trip to two museums. They are across the street from each other but some uphills to entrances that I have never done in my manual chair.
    Parked at the 2nd museum we would visit, and headed out across the street to the other one in my zx1. Had no problem, but I'm still getting used to the minor "rocking" effect when going from flat surface to uphill.

My husband has adjusted the anti-tip rollers twice and we may want to do it again. They are pretty tight up against the vertical posts of my TiLite Aero Z. When I "get into" the zx1 I feel I'm slightly pushed forward at my backrest. Since my balance is poor I am using a simple brown seat belt, the kind with stretchable material and a plastic, click-in buckle. (From Cabella's, used with waders). I note, that my traditional use of a backpack is being re-evaluated as I must lift it a bit when attaching to zx1 otherwise the bottom of the material gets compressed. May need to tighten straps on it so it sits higher.

Back to the trip: Inside the museum #1 I must have "clicked" the joystick a hundred times while positioning myself in a huge room exhibiting Civil War memorabilia, including a large cannon. Each display required moving a bit to see display cases, etc. so I was constantly moving. The zx1 responded beautifully. In the tiny gift shop, I maneuvered around ok but found my movements a bit "jerky" at times. Even on slowest speed I was extra careful not to hit anything in the tight quarters.
    Within that museum I had it on 3 dot speed. It was down 1 dot on the battery indicator at end of visit there, of about one hour.

Done there, we proceeded across the street to museum #2 where we had parked our full-sized van. (There are no seats in the back of it as we are a two wheelchair couple).
    We toured that entire museum in one hour and a half, making our usual stops, and traversing 3 interior ramps that usually result in me huffing my way up, one requiring rest stops. The zx1 zipped up easily. By the time we left I was down the 3 green dots on the battery indicator. Again, plenty of manipulating the joy stick to get a view of exhibits.

When we left the 2nd museum I announced I felt great and was not taking a nap at home. Hubby said "......Well, I AM!"
    I am SO grateful for this device. I need to state, however, that I'm a fairly new power chair user, having practiced this past year occasionally on an older, used, power chair. I find that each day I use the zx1 my skills are getting better. My unit is plenty fast at the top speed and, for now, I'm not worried about that.
    When we got home we set it up on the charger. Per the instruction manual we will not let it get down in power too low.

Part Two ZX1 museum visit

Just wanted to note that the zx1 was so much easier to maneuver within our van, than a full size power chair. However I find it's easier for me to use my short transfer board to get into the driver's or passenger seat. Before zx1, I was in the habit of placing one hand on the braked wheel to do a slide transfer, and with the zx1 it's very awkward to do that with the armrests there - didn't want to take them off, but it would be easy to temporarily swing them out of the way.

On the Braun van lift when entering lift from outside, I'm still awkward at backing onto it without me wiggling a lot. (safety says to back on lift when entering from outside, with back to inside of van).
    Once when rollling forward off lift in down position, I got the rear wheel caught in the space between those two flaps at the end of the lift that keep you from rolling off when you're on the lift. My husband reached over and held one flap down and I got off ok. Tried again and this time I sped up a bit (when down position those flaps are up a tad), and I flew off ok.

I'd be interested comments/suggestions from any others who use zx1 in a full sized van with wheelchair lift.

Thanks for your report on your community trips with the ZX-1. It's great to hear some real world experiences. Hope you sort out the van with wheelchair lift.
    Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    My husband has adjusted the anti-tip rollers twice and we may want to do it again. They are pretty tight up against the vertical posts of my TiLite Aero Z.
    Any chance for a photo? I would also be curious to hear how much higher your TiLite Aero Z rides when you are in the ZX-1.
    Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    Before zx1, I was in the habit of placing one hand on the braked wheel to do a slide transfer, and with the zx1 it's very awkward to do that with the armrests there - didn't want to take them off, but it would be easy to temporarily swing them out of the way.
    We just have a normal car, and I think it would probably be easier for my husband to keep the ZX1 on while transferring to the passenger side (controls on right). When you mention that it would be easy to temporarily swing the armrests out of the way, does that mean fully backward, like you can do with swing-aways on most chairs?
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Surprised that I still can't see much about the ZX-1 on the web. Only this on the Spinergy site: Introducing the new ZX-1 Power Addon! (May 28, 2013) and what is on FaceBook: ZX-1 Photos.

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    Thanks for your report on your community trips with the ZX-1. It's great to hear some real world experiences. Hope you sort out the van with wheelchair lift.

Any chance for a photo? I would also be curious to hear how much higher your TiLite Aero Z rides when you are in the ZX-1.
    We just have a normal car, and I think it would probably be easier for my husband to keep the ZX1 on while transferring to the passenger side (controls on right). When you mention that it would be easy to temporarily swing the armrests out of the way, does that mean fully backward, like you can do with swing-aways on most chairs?
    Photos forthcoming, pls. stand by.
    Chair height on zx1 is negligible, IMO. Perhaps 1/4".
    Yes, the armrests are the same ones I got with my chair (but didn't use); they swing to the side and all the way back. They are, of course, removable like standard arm rests. I may totally remove the left one.
    FYI, I'm learning here as I'm only a short time joystick user, and I find I must carefully move joystick when maneuvering slowly as it can be a bit "jerky" if I don't do so.
    Have you "searched" internet for the owner's manual?

Very excited, the ZX-1 is suppose to arrive on Friday. It could not come at a better time after a recent accident that makes it hard for my husband to get around.