Page 50 of 60 FirstFirst ... 4041424344454647484950515253545556575859 ... LastLast

Thread: power add-on for manual chair

I like how fast Spinergy wanted to send you the part to have it fixed.

Do you have someone that can swap it out for you?

Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    We received our Zx-1 tonight. My wife uses an Aero Z and had anti tip receivers and recepticals for rotating armrests, we had to remove both. The anti tip receivers brushed against the drive wheels, the armrests in the recepticals made contact with the rear of the 24" wheels. Once removed, my wife could back up to the clamshell and the clamshell grabbed the camber bar firmly as advertised. Our rear anti tip wheel just misses the motors - not by much. The Zx-1 seems way faster than 3.2 mph. It pivots in a very small footrprint. We backed up onto our Braun Trifold Lift on our full sized Ford van - plenty of room for the Zx-1. We tried to jump the 2" apron at the front of our garage, the front casters smacked the apron and stopped, we felt that we had not mastered the learning curve, my better half refused to approach at full speed - next step we clamped on Freewheel and the Zx-1 went right on into garage with no problem. I think the Freewheel plus Zx-1 makes a very versatile combination, per Patrick Madsen.

We think Pat the Rat is a genius, we trialed the SmartDrive which is amazing but the Zx-1 is a great accomodation for my wife, a post polio para/quad for about 64 years with failing shoulders. We will continue to review our experience.

I have one of the original ZX-1's that Pat made, my gps says i'm doing 5mph in top speed.

I ride with only the fourth light on the controller. Plenty fast for me. Sure is fun riding it.

Mac, the first tack weld from the end of where the square tubing is welded on, that tack weld isn't cracked, is it? It may just be how it looks in this photo.

If it was damaged by UPS in a drop, it would've had to have been a big drop. Look for damage like that.

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    x2. I've had some hard hits on casters on my chairs and have never bent a stem.

If it was UPS, the box would've been damaged pretty significantly to do that. Was it?
    Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    It looked bent last night. Those are half inch shafts. There could be more damage. You were wise to document this way.
    At some point Froglegs switched to a hollow shaft which is what that is and is fine under normal use but could have easily been bent if it was dropped from a height with 75lbs behind it. Spinergy needs to have another look at their packaging and/or consider changing to another fork stem or even fork since they decided to replace the polymer with a solid piece of aluminum anyway.

When we 1st reported my wife had a hard time getting up the 2" apron at our garage entrance. Since then we read the manual (always helpful) and adjusted the anti tip arms that extend above the ZX-1 shroud and press against the backrest tubes. We moved the 2 screws (on each side) and moved them further back on the plate by one position. Now she approaches the apron, pushes head and shoulders against backrest while moving forward - the front casters pop over the apron. The front casters were too front loaded to jump obstacles in the original position as shipped, the manual has a table which advises which holes to pick based on chair COG. A lot of forethought went into the ZX-1.

A big concern of mine with those hitches behind the vehicle, is what happens if someone rear ends you and ruins your expensive powerchair/zx1? Also, what about weather? Raining or snowing?
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by larry1975 View Post
    I have one of the original ZX-1's that Pat made, my gps says i'm doing 5mph in top speed.
    I don't think a smartphone gps app is very accurate at measuring such a slow speed for short distances.

The actual theoretical speed is:

Tire circumference = 10 * 3.14 = 31.4 inches
    or 2.62 feet
    Motors turn 4600 RPM gear ratio is 21
    So RPMs at axle is 219
    Axle RPM * Wheel Circumference = Feet per minute
    So 219 * 2.62 = 573.78 fpm
    573.78 * 60 = 34426.8 fph
    34426.8 / 5280 = 6.52 mph

I think if you account for user weight road drag and air resistance it would still be closer to 6 than 5.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthQuad View Post
    Mac, the first tack weld from the end of where the square tubing is welded on, that tack weld isn't cracked, is it? It may just be how it looks in this photo.

If it was damaged by UPS in a drop, it would've had to have been a big drop. Look for damage like that.

There is no crack just bend
    I'm positive UPS dropped the box that's why there is a slight bend on the support that holds the Wheel, I just noticed a big gap on the box in my garage that I never noticed before. I might not only be disabled but I am blind, But somebody else took the packaging off so that's why I didn't notice. Here is a picture of the box.

C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

I wonder when that sticker was applied, before or after dropping the box... Any bets?
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.