Page 47 of 60 FirstFirst ... 373839404142434445464748495051525354555657 ... LastLast

Thread: power add-on for manual chair

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    I implore other CareCure members to exercise "thread discipline" with respect to that last post. This thread has existed for years and it is the best example of an "on topic" thread I've seen. It would be a shame to see it derailed.
    SCI_OTR if not for your guidance I would have leapt on that last post, boy is there something to say. Grinding teeth, holding breath. And .. exhale.

Then the Admin can delete it, you do not want my opinion.

Add-ons cost more in total than most of the very basic Power rehab Chairs. They do not perform as well, it is simply more crap. Now that is MY opinion it is as good as anyone elses, but if you wish you can delete it!

As a PS I buy my own chair, I don't ask any one else to supply it for me. I first bought and still have a manual chair it is junk. I cannot propel it, I am also a 74 year old man who worked everyday of this painful existence until I retired.

Y'all just want an opinion you can agree with. So be it.
    Last edited by Bob Sullivan; 06-07-2013 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Made myself clear.

It's not the opinion that we don't agree with Bob; it's that you condem something I'm sure you have never tried.

I can use my 25 pound chair, add the ZX-1 and power anywhere I wish to go, detach it and be, once again, in my 25 pound chair.
    I'll take that over your 350lb. behemouth. I'm 65 and 40 years in.

How much do you pay for your powerchairs. THe ZX was 5 grand with my TR2 bought at wholesale price of 2100.00.

Out of respect for SCI, that's all I have to say.

Returning to the original topic, is the new version any narrower than the old one? Is there a minimum chair width it can handle? Also, are there any plans for a lithium battery?

If I had a power chair, I'd be trapped in the house or where I can reach within the mile limits of the chair and only in good weather. With a manual chair I can load my chair myself and off I go. I wouldn't trade that independence for anything. Now that I have it I want more with power ad on, but if I was limited to only a power chair I'd be trapped in the limits.

Why would anyone with a disability, that causes limits, want to further limit themselves or anyone else? Get the tools that best work for YOU and be happy they're available. Don't begrudge the tools available to those who have different needs and desires than your own. And that's my opinion, which I feel is still on topic.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Manual chair user for 28yrs ... break down my chair for the car. Looking at Smart Drive since it weighs substantially less ... but a powerchair would mean new vehicle, new chair in the tens of thousands, etc.

I love the idea of these new add-ons.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    If I had a power chair, I'd be trapped in the house or where I can reach within the mile limits of the chair and only in good weather. With a manual chair I can load my chair myself and off I go. I wouldn't trade that independence for anything. Now that I have it I want more with power ad on, but if I was limited to only a power chair I'd be trapped in the limits.

Why would anyone with a disability, that causes limits, want to further limit themselves or anyone else? Get the tools that best work for YOU and be happy they're available. Don't begrudge the tools available to those who have different needs and desires than your own. And that's my opinion, which I feel is still on topic.
    Now that we're going OT anyway .. I agree totally with Lin, she took the words out of my mouth. I'll take anything that gives me an advantage, more mobility, gives me something back of what I used to have. Closing in on 18 years in a chair. If the ZX-1 or SmartDrive or anything else helps, I want it. I had 13 years in a powerchair, I earned every right to love the freedom of a manual chair and want the help of a power-assist. None of this is fun (or cheap) but I will do what I can to make it better and won't begrudge anyone else doing the same.

Back to the topic, Spinergy called me today and they offered to ship me a new anti tip something - I was half asleep so I can't remember what it was. They offered me a overnight shipping which was very impressive but I told them that Monday is fine Since I don't want the UPS guy waking me up in the morning
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Quote Originally Posted by Mac85 View Post
    Back to the topic, Spinergy called me today and they offered to ship me a new anti tip something - I was half asleep so I can't remember what it was. They offered me a overnight shipping which was very impressive but I told them that Monday is fine Since I don't want the UPS guy waking me up in the morning
    That's great. It's what I'd expect from Spinergy. Let us know how it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Manual chair user for 28yrs ... break down my chair for the car. Looking at Smart Drive since it weighs substantially less ... but a powerchair would mean new vehicle, new chair in the tens of thousands, etc.

I love the idea of these new add-ons.
    You could get a small hitch lift like this Power Tote: http://www.spinlife.com/Pride-Power-...9#.UbJezxbWbnk

I've made special platforms for it just to fit the ZX1. I think the whole thing weighs just 45 lbs.
    I personally use a small custom cargo carrier that I built that manually tilts down and I drive the ZX1 on it.
    I'll post pics of them both tomorrow.
    Last edited by pattherat; 06-07-2013 at 06:50 PM.