Page 32 of 60 FirstFirst ... 222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: power add-on for manual chair

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    About my question:

Situation: Hemipelgic (paralysis on one side of the body) who needs an armrest or something similarly strong to transfer with one arm/one leg. We would like flip back or swing away arm rests on a ZRA.

History: We have a TiLite chair with removable armrests, and they are impossible to remove with one arm.

Problem:
    The ZX1 is not usable with flip back or swing away arm rests. One of the major features of the ZX1 is independence in connecting unassisted, but if assistance is needed for removable armrests, also when the ZX1 is not in use, this will cause problems.

Possible resolutions: (looking for input from the community and Pat)

-- Can anyone offer suggestions for a chair configuration without armrests that still provides a way to transfer using one arm? For example, would carbon fiber fendered side guards be strong enough for transfers?

-- Is there a possibility for a flip back armrest to be locked vertically (we don't currently have them, so I don't know)?

-- If a flip back armrest can be locked vertically, is it possible to use the ZX1 with them?

-- Would it not be possible to have the ZX1 arm rests lay over the armrests, assuming the height is adjustable on the armrests for the ZX1?

Sorry for all the questions, but this is a good example of why we all need as much information as can be provided at this time for spec'ing a new chair.

Elarson, the wait will be well worth it. It has literally changed my life for the better and I'm an athletic, strong individual.

God Bless you for your continual inquires and ensuring your special other is well cared for.

Patrick,

It really helps to hear you say I'm not crazy for wanting to pursue the ZX1, because I also think this could be a life changer for my husband, and I am glad it has been for you.

It's also really sweet that you understand my "continual inquires". I hope you are all okay with it and not too tired by all of my posts recently. We are in decision time, but realistically, it will still take some time and probably more questions. Please bear with me, because you are all a tremendous help.

[I've moved some of this post to the Caregiving forum Partner being involved with equipment needs]

Thanks for listening, and lets hope the ZX1 gets out there soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Elarson, the wait will be well worth it. It has literally changed my life for the better and I'm an athletic, strong individual.

God Bless you for your continual inquires and ensuring your special other is well cared for.
    Last edited by elarson; 10-03-2012 at 08:53 AM. Reason: moved some of this post
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I always look forward to your inquires E. It reminds me of my wife and her "intrusions lol" keeping me healthy. Your questions are probably what a lot of others are too timid to ask.

Always a pleasure watching you learn and making those that have the answer to your questions finally respond. You are indeed very special to all of us and a part of the family.

I need a new power chair,but this looks like a better option.is there anyway you can make it with a programer like the MK electronics?
    Thanks,
    Nelson.
    C-6,complete

Dear Patrick, The clock just turned on my 50th bithday a few hours ago. I don't think you could have given me a nicer gift than what you just wrote. I know my tenacity can offend some, but I'm glad to hear that not everyone minds it. Thanks for welcoming me, even though I am a care partner, and we are not even SCI!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    I always look forward to your inquires E. It reminds me of my wife and her "intrusions lol" keeping me healthy. Your questions are probably what a lot of others are too timid to ask.

Always a pleasure watching you learn and making those that have the answer to your questions finally respond. You are indeed very special to all of us and a part of the family.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I would be curious about this also. What overrides are possible and programmable by the end user (especially speed)?

Quote Originally Posted by quad247 View Post
    I need a new power chair,but this looks like a better option.is there anyway you can make it with a programer like the MK electronics?
    Thanks,
    Nelson.

Some ways to adjust a powerchair's programming to fit your needs: Local DME/dealer/wheelchair repair shop should have programmers and may help you, handheld dealer programmers often pop up on ebay for around $100, there's a guy that'll rent you one for 30 days: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pride-Jazzy-...item1e72133919
    Do some research first and use caution, sometimes certain parameters are programmed a particular way for a good reason.
    Here's a good resource: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/powe...rogramming.htm

I wanted to clarify that I had made a mistake when I thought that we would not be able to use flip back or swing away armrests with the ZX1 because they were not removable. I have since learned that they are removable, so there would be no problem removing them before attaching to the ZX1 as Pattherat says.

I am quite happy to know that there should be no issues for us ordering a chair that will be compatible with the ZX1.

Thanks for all of your input Pattherat and good luck with getting the ZX1 launched.

Quote Originally Posted by elarson
    - Does the ZX1 work on a chair with flip back or swing away arm rests
    Quote Originally Posted by pattherat View Post
    Currently you would have to remove the armrests before attaching to the ZX1.
    Last edited by elarson; 10-04-2012 at 07:20 PM. Reason: typo

Now I am totally confused...

In my post about armrest options it was mentioned that it is not only the armrests, but the armrest bracket that would be a problem with the ZX1 (#7). Can Pat or anyone comment on this?

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    I wanted to clarify that I had made a mistake when I thought that we would not be able to use flip back or swing away armrests with the ZX1 because they were not removable. I have since learned that they are removable, so there would be no problem removing them before attaching to the ZX1 as Pattherat says...

amyk is correct in that thread. Most likely a swing away armrest bracket would be in the way.

So in the pic below, 3(ARM2) and 4(ARM3) would work: