Page 31 of 60 FirstFirst ... 212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: power add-on for manual chair

Pattherat,

Thank you so much for replying. I can understand the hesitancy about release dates, but this means it could be in the scope for us.

From what you write, would we be safe with the following:

- A 16" chair with 2 degree camber on a ZRA, which I "think" has a 1 1/4" diameter camber tube. (Good to know, because I thought it had to be 0 degree in the past).

- The solid camber tube can be Aluminum, Titanium, or Carbon Fiber.

I hope you don't mind a few more questions:

- Does the ZX1 work on a chair with flip back or swing away arm rests?

- What is the depth / height of the drive unit? (I ask because we may be adding a rigidizer bar DU100082)

- Is the range still about 5 mi with a speed of 4 mph? What's the maximum climbing ability %

- What is the battery -- 2 12Ah Lithium-ion (E-fix li-ion), MK Lead Acid, or has it changed to Lithium-ion polymer (li-po), and if so, which?

Thanks for answering any of these questions that you can.
    Last edited by elarson; 10-02-2012 at 02:38 PM.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Thumbs up Awesome

pattherat
    I like your desighn I've been intrigued for years and I am proud of you

I am heavy into electronics , mechanical engineering

Have a Good Day
    Sincerely ;
    GL

As a manufacturer we have not participated in this forum as we believe it's a media best utilized between consumers. However, I understand there are several people requesting an update on the ZX-1, and so I'm happy to chime in with this information.
    I am the Director of Sales for Spinergy and am involved with this very exciting ZX-1 Power Add-On project. We have spent many months preparing for launch and are more excited now than ever before.
    There is a process to correctly bring a product to market, and in this case, one that involves regulation by several governing bodies. The ZX-1 is considered a medical device just like a new drug or surgical instrument and is therefore subject to extensive testing and regulatory steps.
    We are in the final ten yards of the final step. The completed design is outstanding, we’ve passed all the required testing and are currently completing the extensive submission process required by the FDA.
    We’ve been hesitant to announce a precise launch date since the final step with the FDA can take 3 weeks to 3 months or more. Until we receive the green light from the FDA, we can only speculate. We are confident, however, that our pricing and availability will be announced before Christmas (~2.5 months).
    The circumstances of this product launch are uniquely challenging and also fortunate at the same time. Since Spinergy licensed this product after it was already made public, we are experiencing the R&D, design, testing and regulatory process in a public environment. Know that we are committed to progressing this technology and feel confident once the new ZX-1 is launched our consumers will be pleased with the benefits it provides.

I realize not everyone will see this forum posting. If you know of other people interested in the ZX-1, and you are willing, we’d greatly appreciate you being an advocate and disseminating our enthusiasm and commitment towards this product throughout your peer groups.

Thank you for your time and your continued interest.

Spinergy

What type of Batteries does this use ? And how long before you need to recharge them ?

Is there a onboard charger or is it external ?
    How much is the product ?

Thank you for your input Webbr. I understand the challenges you have, and how it is probably made exponentially more difficult doing a launch under the microscope of your customers. The upside, if you can see it that way, is that at least you can get input from both a marketing and technical perspective before you launch.

If it in any way helps, here are our current Power add-on options as we see them. It lists our requirements and at the bottom specifications as we know them. The ZX1 is at the top of our list. Unfortunately, specifications are hard to come by for most of these products, and any information that can be provided along those lines before the launch would be helpful (even if they are not fixed in stone).

Some of us have sent e-mails to Spinergy (me included) to be put on a waiting list. Can you give any information about that? In our situation we have a time deadline, and I can provide payment as long as I receive paperwork, even if there is a delay in receiving the product. I know, a bit crazy, but that's how the rehab industry works in some places.

Again, thanks for posting here, because your future consumers do appreciate knowing so we can plan ahead and get funding. Many of us are already Spinergy customers, and I think this group can be a valuable asset to your marketing efforts.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    From what you write, would we be safe with the following:

- A 16" chair with 2 degree camber on a ZRA, which I "think" has a 1 1/4" diameter camber tube. (Good to know, because I thought it had to be 0 degree in the past).
    Yes
    - The solid camber tube can be Aluminum, Titanium, or Carbon Fiber.
    I recommend using the last two.
    I hope you don't mind a few more questions:

Currently you would have to remove the armrests before attaching to the ZX1.
    - What is the depth / height of the drive unit? (I ask because we may be adding a rigidizer bar DU100082)
    The rigidizer bar needs to be atleast 6" in front of the camber tube.
    - Is the range still about 5 mi with a speed of 4 mph? What's the maximum climbing ability %
    Those are the minimum numbers to qualify as a Class I powered wheelchair in this country and yes it passed those tests. Safety test were performed on a 6 degree grade.
    I don't know if it'll matter to you or most people but what a powered wheelchair is capable of compared to what it comes programmed as from the factory can be considerably different. When I was building them I knew what I wanted and I knew what the purchasers were capable of and programmed them accordingly, balls to the wall, full power everything. And it's perfectly safe for a reasonable person. The FDA doesn't tell me what kind of car to drive or whether or not I can ride a dirtbike and they want to dictate what I use as my personal mobility on a daily basis? Nah ain't gonna happen. But that was me building them in my garage. Spinergy on the other hand has to think about liability and the ability of all potential users and abide by the restrictions that government safety testing dictates. That said I can tell you the motors are capable of 6 mph have lots of torque and can climb just about any grade you'd feel comfortable tackling. It's all about the programming. I don't believe in range testing, I don't think they do it correctly and the numbers mean next to nothing. Real world I will tell you I'm very active and I never run out of battery power on a given day. Maybe one of the 8 other ZX1 users can chime in on their experience.
    But if your asking what will be on the official spec sheet from Spinergy then I think those numbers are close.
    - What is the battery -- 2 12Ah Lithium-ion (E-fix li-ion), MK Lead Acid, or has it changed to Lithium-ion polymer (li-po), and if so, which?
    Thanks for answering any of these questions that you can.
    Currently they will come with 2 12v 15ah AGM batteries.

Many thanks Pat. I was hoping that giving you yes/no answers would make it easier. I hear you about range -- way too many factors to include. I think everyone will appreciate this information.

Thanks for your help.

---------------------
    As a side note, when we got a new power chair a few years ago we were trying to test the range. We were in a really good place on an island with level bicycle paths and were on vacation so we could afford a mistake. After 3 days of carefully clocking our mileage we ran out. Luckily we were at a theatre festival and could plug in to their mains. When we got back to the room I realised that I had not been charging it at all, because you had to leave the door key in a holder to have electricity, which of course I had not done.

As another side note, one of the biggest reasons we want a ZX1 is so that we are never stranded again. Last year on vacation we rented a scooter that they had also not charged well and I had to push it 3 miles up-hill in 120+ degree weather. Never again. BTW, is there a manual override on the ZX1 like on scooters/powerchairs if it does need to be towed?

Quote Originally Posted by GL View Post
    pattherat
    I like your desighn I've been intrigued for years and I am proud of you

I am heavy into electronics , mechanical engineering

Have a Good Day
    Sincerely ;
    GL
    Thanks!
    Thank You too NorthQuad!

@grommet I don't know but I would think Spinergy would send an announcement through their mailing list before any shows.

Quote Originally Posted by GL View Post
    What type of Batteries does this use ? And how long before you need to recharge them ?

Is there a onboard charger or is it external ?
    How much is the product ?
    2 12v 15ah AGM batteries.
    Charge after every use overnight preferably.
    Off-board 24v 4 Amp charger.

About my question:
    Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pattherat View Post
    Currently you would have to remove the armrests before attaching to the ZX1.
    [I am moving some of the previous questions to another post about armrest options. I am hoping maybe to get a reply from Pat with only this question]

-- Would it not be possible to have the ZX1 arm rests lay over the armrests, assuming the height is adjustable on the armrests for the ZX1?

Sorry for all the questions, but this is a good example of why we all need as much information as can be provided at this time for spec'ing a new chair.
    Last edited by elarson; 10-03-2012 at 04:52 PM. Reason: moving some of the previous questions to another post