Page 3 of 60 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 597

Thread: power add-on for manual chair

  1. #21
    Senior Member wtf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    silver state
    Posts
    3,491
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    There is another add on system I became aware of today that is nearing production and will likely be competing for the same market...

    http://www.patentproducts.org/Site_P...heelchair.html

    Hopefully, I will be able to disclose more in the near future.
    This is a cool machine too but I wonder if the handles could be lengthened if you're one that has short arms like me, I wouldn't want to be leaning forward all the time. Very cool little thing, will be interesting to see how much the price is when available.

  2. #22
    Senior Member wtf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    silver state
    Posts
    3,491
    Quote Originally Posted by pattherat View Post
    Thanks for the link. Thats pretty genius, I mean really outstanding - good job. If I had one of these things I'd mainly use it for traveling cuz if I used it everyday I'd probably get really gordo cuz I like to eat.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    There is another add on system I became aware of today that is nearing production and will likely be competing for the same market...

    http://www.patentproducts.org/Site_P...heelchair.html

    Hopefully, I will be able to disclose more in the near future.
    The Zinger has been around for atleast few years now. For one reason or another the inventor seems to have abandoned it. The link you posted only shows the most recent posts but people have been posting for years and the inventor never responds to anyone. It does look cool but I don't think it would be an option for quads or even paras with little trunk control. Also you need to get out of the chair and remove the wheels to seperate it from the wheelchair.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by pattherat View Post
    For one reason or another the inventor seems to have abandoned it...
    Based on what I found out today, he may have sold or licensed the rights for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by pattherat View Post
    ...It does look cool but I don't think it would be an option for quads or even paras with little trunk control. ...
    As it appears in the video, power is applied using a motorcycle-style throttle on one of the levers and the user needs to push on both levers in order to brake. It may be possible to re-design the levers & throttle slightly so they would be more quad-friendly (probably C6 or lower since some triceps would be still be necessary).
    Quote Originally Posted by pattherat View Post
    ...Also you need to get out of the chair and remove the wheels to seperate it from the wheelchair.
    True.

  5. #25
    I hate to keep picking at such a great product but we just all want it to be the best it possibly can be. Do they make the tires in black? That would blend in better like the rest of it does pretty well. Do you have to remove the anti tip levers?

    This us actually a lot better looking that I imagined.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by BRASWELLF5 View Post
    I hate to keep picking at such a great product but we just all want it to be the best it possibly can be. Do they make the tires in black? That would blend in better like the rest of it does pretty well. Do you have to remove the anti tip levers?

    This us actually a lot better looking that I imagined.
    Keep picking on it, it's just a prototype and you have some very good ideas.
    Actually Steve from HOC(D's Locks) makes these sick wheels that are polished aluminum with black tires that have a cool tread design. He is one of the people at the abilities expo that showed a lot of interest in doing something together with my power add-on. We're suppose to meet up soon.
    To be honest I never thought about anti-tip bars because I don't use them. You wouldn't need them with the device attached because it has a built in anti-tip feature. If you need them when it is not, that could be a problem. I'll have to look into it further but there is room between the drive wheels and the manual wheels so it may take something like an offset bracket.

  7. #27
    That is so cool. Much better than older products on the market (my mother had one that attached to the front of the chair and had to drive it like a scooter....the Roll-Aid. A problem for turning radius, arm strength, and transfers. The only good thing was that the heaviest part was only 35 lb. so it was pretty easy to load into a car.

    How about attachment points so you could load this in a car or truck with a trunk hoist without risking a rupture??

    (KLD)

  8. #28
    Senior Member cypresss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    C5 functional
    Posts
    648
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    There is another add on system I became aware of today that is nearing production and will likely be competing for the same market...

    http://www.patentproducts.org/Site_P...heelchair.html

    Hopefully, I will be able to disclose more in the near future.
    Alber has some similar products: e-fix is one of them, Quix( which is for oldest - not quads without finger movement ) or Viamobil which is easy to disassemble.

    Congratulations again pattherat
    Last edited by cypresss; 06-02-2009 at 03:00 AM.
    This signature left intentionally blank.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by cypresss View Post
    Alber has some similar products: e-fix is one of them, Quix( which is for oldest - not quads without finger movement ) or Viamobil which is easy to disassemble.

    Congratulations again pattherat
    Because it uses the standard wheels on the wheelchair to transfer power to the ground, the Zinger is lighter and mechanically less complicated than the Alber products. At the same time, it yields the same degree of perfomance that is depicted in the video.

  10. #30
    ok pat,
    you got me sold. can you build one for me? how much $$ do you need to get started.

    are you pursuing this as a business too? where are you at with that?

    signed,
    a very intrigued jesse

Similar Threads

  1. Insurance And Power Chair Coverage Questions
    By GroovyWheeler in forum Equipment
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-07-2009, 01:33 PM
  2. Need help with power chair back
    By johnnie2130 in forum Equipment
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-14-2007, 11:43 AM
  3. Typical power chair, battery life
    By crppled007 in forum Equipment
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-19-2007, 11:52 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-22-2005, 06:37 PM
  5. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-23-2002, 11:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •