Page 2 of 60 FirstFirst 12345678910111252 ... LastLast

Thread: power add-on for manual chair

WOW! I could see myself owning one of those..thats great man.

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    After a second look, I am wondering how this does on uneven surfaces like lawns where there are recesses and holes. Can it get hung up on the manual wheels when the drive unit is over a recessed area?
    The key feature that makes it work is the swing arm that attaches to the chair. The built in actuator can lift the rear wheels off the ground about 3 inches. I can cruise over grass fairly well without any loss of traction the limiting factor being my 4" front casters. It would be better off road with 5 or 6 inch soft rolls. I think it would fly over grass, dirt gravel etc.. with the other Pat's Freewheel snapped on the front.

Quote Originally Posted by BRASWELLF5 View Post
    Looks real nice. Just to get a little picky, it would look cool if you could run the cord through the armrest to hide it for a cleaner look. Also the smallest possible joystick controller would fit a manual chair best. My Quickie 646 is more compact. Great product!
    Yeah thats a good idea. I'm using a PGDT VSI controller/joystick and since the controller is part of the joystick module the cable is pretty thick. I could go with a smaller joystick and cable but then you have to mount the controller on the device somewhere and there is limited room and the device wouldn't be as compact.

BTW I can't really think of a good name for it. Any ideas?
    Last edited by pattherat; 06-01-2009 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wtf View Post
    The clips not working for me, can you put it on youtube? I wanted to go to the expo but I didn't know when it was and when a friend called me and asked me if I was going I was bummed cuz I already had plans for the weekend. But it would have been great to see your wc upclose, it looks very cool.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEQgCYXzIag

That looks awesome. I hope I never need a powered chair, but if I do, I'd definitely get that!

That is amazing. Finally a power option that keeps the size small. I agree with the smaller joystick.

What a fantastic idea!!
    Dave

Thanks for all the positive comments...keep 'em coming and maybe tell if you'd buy one and why. I've been a C6/7 for 24 years now and I know there has never been anything like it on the market. I wish I'd have built it way back then. I haven't even got in my normal power chair since I finished this one and don't plan to.

There is another add on system I became aware of today that is nearing production and will likely be competing for the same market...

http://www.patentproducts.org/Site_P...heelchair.html

Hopefully, I will be able to disclose more in the near future.

nice, very nice. I was impressed by the way that it took very little time to "power up". I'd be game for one in the future as well.