Page 43 of 60 FirstFirst ... 333435363738394041424344454647484950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: power add-on for manual chair

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    Thank you for posting the manual. After reading it, I do not feel inclined to get the ZX-1. Operating speed 3.2mph (250lb rider), is too slow for me. The weight of the unit is high. The parts and finish didn't look professional, more like it had been fabricated in a shop. That's fine except when I think corporate I think corporate quality controls. These are just my ideas and impressions. The SmartDrive still looks like the way to go for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    I'm sure mine goes more than 3.2 mph. It sure nice to have a few options now re smartdrive or other new equipment. I agree, for the cost of it, it could be a little more better looking, but my old one has never faltered yet.
    3.2 mph is only average human walking speed. Pat's original model can go 6 mph. Why would they do that to their product? We can already wheel walking speed most of the time. Power chairs go 6 mph plus.

So if you are crossing the street and the light changes all you can do is just continue to able along. Or if you are watching your kid play a few soccer fields away from the van and it starts pouring everyone can run for cover while you crawl along like the person in a Jaws movie who can't swim fast enough and is struggling to get to shore while the shark is closing in.

I think that lawyers were likely involved with this.

I was also surprised by the speed Jeff B. I like the Jaw's analogy.

Maybe Pat can pipe up on this? I know other power add-ons have over-rides for speed. Is that built into the ZX1? Some manufacturer's actually give you the information on how to over-ride it, like Rio Mobility with the Firefly, and then they give all the cautions, etc. I wonder if this is a RESNA testing or liability thing, or a reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
    3.2 mph is only average human walking speed. Pat's original model can go 6 mph. Why would they do that to their product? We can already wheel walking speed most of the time. Power chairs go 6 mph plus.

So if you are crossing the street and the light changes all you can do is just continue to able along. Or if you are watching your kid play a few soccer fields away from the van and it starts pouring everyone can run for cover while you crawl along like the person in a Jaws movie who can't swim fast enough and is struggling to get to shore while the shark is closing in.

I think that lawyers were likely involved with this.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

If in fact it only does the 3.2mph and there is an over-ride option to bump up the speed, I'll want it.

Mine should ship tomorrow! wee!

we have these on our site. find a lower price and i'll beat it.
    Last edited by fuentejps; 05-30-2013 at 09:31 AM.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

i'll be demo'ing the smartdrive next week and making suggestions to make it more quad friendly.
    nice having these 2 options. both killer products.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    i'll be demo'ing the smartdrive next week and making suggestions to make it more quad friendly.
    I agree, it's really nice that we have these options. Disability doesn't get better but the gear sure has. Want me a SmartDrive ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    I would like to use the smartdrive on my second chair but I also need it more quad friendly. I have the ZX1 now and love it but I like to have one of each, especially since the smartdrive will make me push more.
    Life's perceived journey in this PMR is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy **** what a VR ride!"
    Pete C6/'97

Rather than quoting myself, I'm going to refer to my previous post #394.

Good news. I've been working with Sportaid and Rio Mobility, about finding the best way to do this. Sportaid has been great to help with the international shipment of a Firefly -- forwarding, which is much cheaper for so much equipment. Rio Mobility has been equally good to listen to what we are trying to do, and make it possible for us to get both a Firefly and and an additional attachment assembly (and fork) so we can make our own "third wheel" attachment for use with the ZX1. I'm very impressed with both companies, especially given our rather unique situation.

It's going to take some time on that, but really cool that we might have some solutions for dealing with our everyday environment of cobblestones and bricks.

Now I'm also curious about what the combination of a ZX1 with a Firefly might be like, because of course we will want to try that ! Stay tuned...
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

We were excited to get the email from Pat after being on the wait list for a long time. Great communication and customer service from Spinergy!! Sadly though, the distance from the lowest part of my huband's ZRa anti-tip bar receptical brackets to the floor is a bit less than 10 inches. The Zx1, with its 10 inch wheels, isn't going to work out for us right now.

Sorry to hear about that 2drwhofans. You must be very disappointed. Have you looked into other possible options for anti-tip receptical brackets -- maybe TiLite has a DU not listed that could work. I think there may be others that will have the same problem, and maybe TiLite has some idea's.

I'm not sure that we will not have some configuration issues with the ZX1 on a ZRA2 with user friendly anti-tips and also swing-away armrests. I am hoping we can sort it out once we have the ZX1 to know for sure. I'll post it here once we have it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2drwhofans View Post
    We were excited to get the email from Pat after being on the wait list for a long time. Great communication and customer service from Spinergy!! Sadly though, the distance from the lowest part of my huband's ZRa anti-tip bar receptical brackets to the floor is a bit less than 10 inches. The Zx1, with its 10 inch wheels, isn't going to work out for us right now.