Page 41 of 60 FirstFirst ... 313233343536373839404142434445464748495051 ... LastLast

Thread: power add-on for manual chair

Thanks Jeff B. Unfortunately that does not meet most of our requirements. We also have a cantilever frame (ZRA), which would make that pretty much impossible.

To be quite honest, I just also can't see doing that to a beautiful titanium wheelchair.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
    Have a look here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiPEFtYDP4Y

This attachment would be fairly easy to make by someone with basic welding skills or maybe by a bike shop.

The website here: http://www.hopp.lv/ Does not seem to have a link to purchase or see it in more detail, but I don't speak Latvian so maybe it is in there somewhere.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I forgot about the ZRA frame. It might still be workable if you used four push to lock brake brackets mounted to the frame under the seat to hold the outside rails of the bracket. The whole bracket could then be easily removed with an Allen key.

It could also be made in unpainted aluminum with a more attractive spoked wheel.

It's too bad the options on your web page are so overpriced. Some of them look like they would work well but how they can justify $1000 plus for some aluminum tubes, brackets and a small bike wheel is beyond my understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    Unfortunately, I think most equipment for stroke survivors is based on someone being elderly and frail before they had their strokes. That is just not always the case, and it is becoming more extreme as more and more even younger people have strokes.
    A friend of mine actually had a stroke as a baby. As a result she's never had any use of her left arm, which is contracted with her elbow at about a 90 degree angle. She's also had some issues with her left leg being shorter and some structural problems (not sure if they're related to the stroke as well) and last year had to have a bunch of surgeries. She was really panicked about how to get around after the surgeries, and asked me for a lot of advice. Some of the advice I gave her I got from reading your experiences. She had never even thought of propelling a wheelchair with one hand and one foot for example.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    So for a person who breaks down their chair like I do ... unreasonable to take to the mall or any place where I expect to wheel some distance.

Darn.
    If I was a para I would be leaning more towards the smartdrive, especially if I drove a car. You just need a bit of help sometimes. Carry a small bungee cord and you can sling it up out of the way under your chair when you don't need it or it runs out of power or breaks. If that happens with ZX1 you have to get somebody strong enough to move it for you to get it to the shop ( I still want one though). I can't see a way to take the smartdrive on and off by myself so it is of limited use to me.

Just a freewheel gives you a ton of coast on smooth flat surfaces like the mall. One good push will take you the width of a storefront or more As a para you can easily take it off if you are in a tight store and hang it on the perch. It will more sidewalk and parking lot speeds faster as well and is pretty good on lawns for visting friend's bbqs etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    For those with cars, it would be really simple just to either buy or have a small rack made for it. the rack could be like one for a scooter or made smaller. The machine is fairly narrow.

There shouldn't be a problem attaching the Freewheel to a Tilite E. If it's a folder, I think Pat has figured out a desing for one. It sure would make going over cobble stones much easier on the rider and the ZX.
    For me I just don't have the money for a small rack. I'm going to be trying to get the power assist and a lift (speedilift, doesn't require any structural vehicle change) covered through vocational rehab. And if they don't cover it I'll be in a bit of a catch 22, unable to go back to school or hold down a job without being more independent, and unable to purchase my own products for increased independence without a job.

I could have fought for a powerchair when I was getting my chair, but I wanted increased activity and independence and it wouldn't have given either since I'd be stuck at home with no way to transport. The DME also said I wouldn't have been able to get one covered if I'd wanted since medicaid only cares about in home use. I do keep my eyes open for a donated powerchair that would be functional to walk the dogs, maybe get to the close grocery store, and possibly use paratransit for special outings. But paratransit is too expensive (and the time adds an additional problem, they say to prepare 90 minutes per transit trip) for regular use.

She has a ZRA with flip up footrests, so the standard mount won't work. And Pat just said the other day that the new folding mount wouldn't work with a ZRA. They have a folding tilite as their backup chair, but she's been trying to find a solution for the ZRA.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Pics from the Spinergy Facebook Page

I'm sure there will be much better quality pics coming as Spinergy begins marketing the ZX1 more-aggressively, but they did put up these pics of a production ZX1 on their Facebook page. (At least I'm assuming this is the production version).

The following is a comparison of one of the Facebook pics with one of Pat's pics on the Beach Mobility web site.

Aesthetically, the production version isn't quite as sleek looking as the original prototype that Pat posted when he started this thread nearly four years ago. That's a small trade off when you consider that the production version will be compatible with a greater number of chairs, has completed ANSI/RESNA testing, is FDA approved, and is a truly unique product that is backed by an established company, that can potentially improve the quality of life for some wheelchair users like no other product.

Congrats Pat!

Thanks for the FB page SCI_OTR. It's good to see what the production ZX1 looks like. I agree, not quite as sleek looking, but nice all the same. We can't wait to get one!
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

It's interesting that the ones Pat was making in his garage looked more polished and well made and the Spinergy one looks like a prototype. It shows that Pat was committed to making a quality products.

Just painting more of the front wheel and anti-tip hardware black would go a long way towards improving the look of it. I still want one but the people who got Pat's version and paid less money for it are benefitting from being early adopters instead of feeling buyers remorse, which usually happens when the next version is way better than the earlier one they bought.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
    Just painting more of the front wheel and anti-tip hardware black would go a long way towards improving the look of it. I still want one but the people who got Pat's version and paid less money for it are benefitting from being early adopters instead of feeling buyers remorse, which usually happens when the next version is way better than the earlier one they bought.
    ZX1 Is this stainless steel
    Stainless steel requires contact with oxygen in the air to retain its luster and corrosion resistance. Painting it deprives it from oxygen and can lead to corrosion (technically called "oxygen depletion zones") which creates a whole new set of problems. Because of this, you are far better off not painting it.
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Quote Originally Posted by Mac85 View Post
    ZX1 Is this stainless steel
    Stainless steel requires contact with oxygen in the air to retain its luster and corrosion resistance. Painting it deprives it from oxygen and can lead to corrosion (technically called "oxygen depletion zones") which creates a whole new set of problems. Because of this, you are far better off not painting it.
    Interesting. Not being a metallurgist I would have thought painting would protect it. Can you anodize steel or only aluminum?