Page 52 of 60 FirstFirst ... 242434445464748495051525354555657585960 LastLast

Thread: power add-on for manual chair

About what Pat wrote:
    Quote Originally Posted by pattherat View Post
    Spinergy needs to have another look at their packaging and/or consider changing to another fork stem or even fork since they decided to replace the polymer with a solid piece of aluminum anyway.

Did they replace it on both the front and rear forks with aluminium, or only the rear fork? Does anyone know their rationale for doing this? Maybe Pat can chime in.

When I look at the ZX-1 Photos on the Spinergy FaceBook site, some photo's (as well as the Operators Manual Z100080 Rev 4) show the elastomers on for both front and rear fork:

Another photo on the Spinergy FaceBook site shows that at least in the rear, the elastomers is off.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthQuad View Post
    Also, can the elastomer be reinstalled?
    I would like to know if the elastomers can be reinstalled too. You can order Frog Legs polymers (a.k.a. elastomers, suspension springs)
    from Frog Legs and others.

Unless Pat or others say there is a good reason for not using the polymers, I'm going to see if I can get them from Sportaid to ship with the ZX-1 that is coming soon. We are looking for as much suspension as we can get, as our roads are really rough here (cobblestones, bricks, etc.).
    Last edited by elarson; 06-09-2013 at 08:02 PM.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Hi Pat,

Thanks for posting the photo's. We may be very interested in your custom platform in a few months. First we need to get the ZX1, and then we need to buy a new car (and win the lottery )! We are waiting for the new VW Golf Mk7 Variant to come out in Europe (same as a Jetta SportWagen in the US, but the newer version).

Quote Originally Posted by pattherat View Post
    Here is the Power Tote with a custom platform I made specifically for the ZX1:

Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

The fact that the camber tube is lifted off the ground yet can freely rotate in the clamshell creates unique issues from the standpoint of rearward stability.

I'm just speculating, but removing the elastomer from the fork and the addition of the Anti-Tilt Assembly to the production version seem to be post-design modifications that were necessary to pass ANSI/RESNA standards testing for static rear stability part or to address potential concerns about rear tippiness

The result appears to be a production ZX-1 that has an anti-tilt assembly that makes this version less-portable than the original with a suspension fork that no longer provides suspension. Those things can be resolved in future versions. In the meantime, at least we now have a production version of the ZX-1 that anyone can order.
    Last edited by SCI_OTR; 06-10-2013 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Dimmed paragraph that was later found to be wrong

Thanks for the input SCI_OTR. I could be wrong, but if I remember correctly, Pat had already designed the Anti-Tilt Assembly pre-Spinergy, which I can imagine was needed for RESNA.

I agree that these things can be resolved in future versions, but we are getting one now (within the next couple of weeks). Because we are international, I prefer to anticipate if we need to order anything else with it, like the elastomers (we will pay more for extra shipping than the cost of the elastomers).

In my husbands situation, where he has seizures from jolts and bumps, which we encounter on a daily basis, I'm not sure which would be more unsafe, i.e., seizures and falling out of the chair or the occasional incline that may affect rearward stability and cause a tip.

As you may recall, I had the same conundrum when it came to ordering Frog Legs for a ZRA and a similar issue about forward tippiness.

The jury is still out for me about jolts and bumps versus tippiness. In general I would say that we could test in advance for tippiness to know the limits, but we can not anticipate the constant jolts and bumps.

I'm not sure if this makes sense, but I'd be interested in any input, knowing that nobody has all the information or answers right now (speculation/guessing is fine).

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    ...I'm just speculating, but removing the elastomer from the fork and the addition of the Anti-Tilt Assembly to the production version seem to be post-design modifications that were necessary to pass ANSI/RESNA standards testing for static rear stability part or to address potential concerns about rear tippiness

...Those things can be resolved in future versions. In the meantime, at least we now have a production version of the ZX-1 that anyone can order.

Pat, any word on when the original ZX-1 owners will get the anti-tip set up?

larry1975,

What is it about the ZX1 that makes them necessary?

When your going at a faster speed and come to a stop the ZX-1 will dive down forward till all the motion has stopped then it will level itself back out, kinda sucks. Also when going down an incline it will do the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by larry1975 View Post
    When your going at a faster speed and come to a stop the ZX-1 will dive down forward till all the motion has stopped then it will level itself back out, kinda sucks. Also when going down an incline it will do the same thing.
    Thanks for responding!

I went to the Pat's website and looked at one of the videos to better understand what you said. If I understand it correctly, the function of the Anti-Tilt Assembly is to prevent forward rotation of the powerbase due to deceleration. It does this by using the wheelchair to prevent the powerbase from tilting forward.

That is nearly the exact opposite of my speculation in post 513. I had assumed it was the powerbase preventing the wheelchair from rotating backward under acceleration or when going uphill.

I'm sure glad I qualified that post as speculation because it proved to be completely off!

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    larry1975,

What is it about the ZX1 that makes them necessary?

ALso, when going down a van ramp, the arms will drop drastically. It'a one of the reasons I don't take the ZX with me; I don't like going up and downthe ramp with that sudden arm drop.

Don't holf your breath on a sudden mailing of anti tips too us Larry lol. They've suppossedly been in the mail along time ago. Not complaining, just sayin'.

So going down a van ramp, the front casters will be under greater load because the Anti-Tilt Assembly would be pushing against the backrest?