Page 57 of 60 FirstFirst ... 74748495051525354555657585960 LastLast

Thread: power add-on for manual chair

reccieved my anti tips pattherat thanks.

Way happy for you NorthQuad. Doing a happy dance.... Yay, yay! How could you keep yourself from opening it up???

Please post pics and reviews of any sort, even if they are just the early stages. I'm hoping we are following along with you ourselves as of tomorrow night.

See... you did get your's first.

My husband has to go for a new cast on his leg tomorrow and I hope they do it right so he can use his ZRA so he can use the ZX-1. It's going to be a real bummer if he has to stay in his 2GX because of the front frame angle being longer, and is not be able to use his ZX-1 for 6 weeks. In that case, I think I will have a long weekend trying to lash something up.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthQuad View Post
    My ZX-1 arrived today. Spinergy definitely packaged it well. So as long as UPS didn't long bomb it, I'm certain it'll be in good condition when I open it! Yay!
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Haha! Thanks, elarson. I'm happy it's here.

The UPS guy refused to bring it inside the house. I definitely would've ripped into it as soon as it arrived otherwise. He brought it as far as inside the garage and put it at the end of the ramp. (Good thing I have two ramps) So I could only look at the box until I had a family member bring it inside. He did charge me over $90 for brokerage fees though! Nice of him.

It was packaged well with the use of quality materials. It came with a user manual on a CD and a user manual book. Also a few hex keys and a spare armrest cap in a little bag.

First look at it out of the box I was impressed. It is a good looking machine. I'm going to leave all the bare stainless steel parts as they are. It looks fine as is. Overall, I like the look of it.

Turning the unit on and giving the joystick a push, I could tell it was a peppy machine. Lots of torque. Unfortunately, the joystick is supposed to be on the left side but it's been installed on the right side. I need it on the left due to my balance. I need to hang on with my right arm. So until I can get someone to swap it to the correct side. It'll be parked in the corner.

*Oh, also, it came with a charger, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    Way happy for you NorthQuad. Doing a happy dance.... Yay, yay! How could you keep yourself from opening it up???

Please post pics and reviews of any sort, even if they are just the early stages. I'm hoping we are following along with you ourselves as of tomorrow night.

See... you did get your's first.

My husband has to go for a new cast on his leg tomorrow and I hope they do it right so he can use his ZRA so he can use the ZX-1. It's going to be a real bummer if he has to stay in his 2GX because of the front frame angle being longer, and is not be able to use his ZX-1 for 6 weeks. In that case, I think I will have a long weekend trying to lash something up.
    Last edited by NorthQuad; 06-21-2013 at 12:20 AM.

Also, the anti-tips are going to have to come off the ZRa. There's no room for them to stay on and even if there was, they hit the top of the ZX-1 tires when trying to back the wheelchair onto the ZX-1. And my chair sits on 26" tires.

We took off the anti tips also, however, on my wife's Aero Z the anti tips were mounted on the inside of brackets attaching to camber tubes. it may be possible to switch them to inside so they will clear tires.

NorthQuad: Congrats, it arrived. I'm awaiting a new CD as mine was crushed. Something about Homeland Security opening the box to inspect a bunch of them going out of country and mine was mistakenly in that batch.
    I'm hoping the CD will have more information and I will be able to magnify parts on my computer with it.
    We still need to try to put the zx1 in "neutral" setting so it can be rolled manually. Just figured out that would be helpful to have family roll it up a makeshift ramp when we visit, rather than lifting it. Pretty heavy.
    None of my large family has ramps.

elarson: The day mine was to arrive I had an appointment to have doc check out serious injury to my feet - I was pushing a recycle bin up our driveway and it hit a stone and stopped dead; was in my older power chair and the footrests flipped upward with my feet heading toward my shins.
    Had to cancel doc. Couldn't bear to be away when zx1 arrived. Three days later saw her and xrays showed small fractures and an ankle brace needed. That's why no shoe on left foot.
    PS. I mention this as I'm ashamed how stupid I was to try to push with those type of footrests in power wheelchair - I have done it for years in my rigid chair.
    PSS. Sorry, I forgot I had to downsize the photo.

[QUOTE=triumph;1710449]NorthQuad:
    I'm hoping the CD will have more information and I will be able to magnify parts on my computer with it.
    We still need to try to put the zx1 in "neutral" setting so it can be rolled manually.

There's a way to put the "new" ZX in a neutral mode? Dang that's a step up from the old style.

Is there a way to disconnect the chair manually if the power goes off also? One of my big issues with mine is the abilitly to disconnect the machine from the chair if the power fails.

[QUOTE=Patrick Madsen;1710488]
    Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    NorthQuad:
    We still need to try to put the zx1 in "neutral" setting so it can be rolled manually.

There's a way to put the "new" ZX in a neutral mode? Dang that's a step up from the old style.

Is there a way to disconnect the chair manually if the power goes off also? One of my big issues with mine is the abilitly to disconnect the machine from the chair if the power fails.
    I have heard if trapped in clamshell without power you can transfer out, then remove one quick release wheel, then slide chair out of clamshell. I think in extremely close quarters you could probably take both quick release wheels off and have very narrow profile to temporarliy move through a narrow area (airplane aisle?). Also, there may be a pin (or pins) on bottom of new ZX-1 that can be removed to release clamshell (I haven't looked yet). Re neutral mode, there seem to be levers on top of motors to release. I haven't tried them yet because they don't seem to be identified as such in printed manual. Our CD manual was damaged in shipping and we are awaiting a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    NorthQuad: Congrats, it arrived.

Thanks!

To put the motors into neutral, there are two levers, one for each motor. The levers will disengage the motors from the gears allowing the ZX-1 to freewheel. The location of the levers can be found on both sides of the front main shock on the top of the motors, under the clam shell.

Pushing/turning the levers (one at a time is fine) in the direction of the back of the unit will put the ZX-1 in freewheel mode. Pulling the levers forward will engage the motors with the gears again.

Here's a photo of one of the levers. Black lever in the center of the photo.

Last edited by NorthQuad; 06-21-2013 at 08:09 PM. Reason: to clarify. add photo.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post

You have freewheel levers on the top front of the gearboxes. Just turn them out towards the wheels.

To disconnect the chair manually you would have to transfer out and pull one of the two pins that hold the actuator in place. To make it easier you could replace the top shock bolt with a quick release pin but I think you'd still have to get your weight of the chair first. Another solution is to wire(splice in) a momentary on/off switch directly to the actuator and the batteries. The joystick/controller cuts out at 16 volts but you only need about 9 volts to power the actuator.