Page 54 of 60 FirstFirst ... 44445464748495051525354555657585960 LastLast

Thread: power add-on for manual chair

I go up and down my house and van ramp with no problems, I go down everything on the lowest speed setting which I have set at 35%. The ZX-1 does tip down forward but it's nothing now that I've been doing it for a little over 2 years.

To pattherat I have an original ZX-1 that you made do you have a list where I can buy parts should the need arise?

Quote Originally Posted by larry1975 View Post
    I go up and down my house and van ramp with no problems, I go down everything on the lowest speed setting which I have set at 35%. The ZX-1 does tip down forward but it's nothing now that I've been doing it for a little over 2 years.

To pattherat I have an original ZX-1 that you made do you have a list where I can buy parts should the need arise?
    You should be able to order anything you need from Spinergy.
    And yes the anti-tilts are coming very soon.

Flying with a ZX-1

We are getting a ZX-1 power add-on and a Firefly power handbike in the next couple of weeks. In August we will be taking an international flight from Europe to the US, and then a domestic flight in the US.

I need to book the flights soon, and will need to give information about our equipment requirements. We will be in cities (NYC/Chicago) where the ZX1 would be best for half the trip, and in a wilderness area where I think the Firefly will be best the other half of the trip.

I'm trying to decide if we should take only the ZX-1 or Firefly, or if we could possibly take both. We would need to check the ZX-1 and/or Firefly, but I'm not sure if we would be allowed that much equipment.

Whatever we gate check, I'm thinking of covering with bubble wrap, pallet wrap, or at minimum, cling wrap.

Any idea's, tips, etc?
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I had a team hybrid viper which I took to the us twice and Canada once (transatlantic) plus two domestic us flights on the same trip. Each time I left it attached and told them it was permanently attached to my chair, and I brought the battery on board. This could be an issue. The viper battery is nicad, but the zx1 battery is sealed lead acid. Most us airlines IN the us will allow you on board with it because they're afraid of a messy pr fuss - but the fact is they are risking their own insurance, as the IATA guideline they have to follow to get their coverage says specifically that sla batteries are not allowed in the cabin.

According to the IATA guidelines, there are 2 types of wheelchair battery: sealed and unsealed, both lead acid. I have 2 power chairs with lithium ion batteries, one of which I brought to china in 2008. Although at first the pilot (it's up to him/her) said it had to go on the hold, I showed the material cert from the company, which showed it the same as a big laptop battery, and so allowed on board. I brought the other one to Chicago via Atlanta last August. On the transatlantic I had no issue, once they saw the word ’lithium' printed on the battery. They never even checked on the domestic flights.

I have NEVER been allowed to take a sla battery on board a transatlantic flight, and I always argue, sometimes just for the sake of it. BUT it's not difficult to pack it to go in the hold. Just don't get caught out!

Eta: remember that any kind of bubble wrap or whatever, has to be quickly ripped off in the airbridge before he can transfer back in. I occasionally remember to bring a big garbage bag I can tape down to leave the bottoms of the wheels free, but that's rare... And I never have one for the return. Who take a spare garbage bag on their holidays? So long as the brakes are off, no worries...
    Last edited by amyk; 06-12-2013 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    We are getting a ZX-1 power add-on and a Firefly power handbike in the next couple of weeks. In August we will be taking an international flight from Europe to the US, and then a domestic flight in the US.

I need to book the flights soon, and will need to give information about our equipment requirements. We will be in cities (NYC/Chicago) where the ZX1 would be best for half the trip, and in a wilderness area where I think the Firefly will be best the other half of the trip.

I'm trying to decide if we should take only the ZX-1 or Firefly, or if we could possibly take both. We would need to check the ZX-1 and/or Firefly, but I'm not sure if we would be allowed that much equipment.

Whatever we gate check, I'm thinking of covering with bubble wrap, pallet wrap, or at minimum, cling wrap.

Any idea's, tips, etc?
    You have to be really careful when flying, they damage your equipment. They don't care if it's a wheelchair or scooter or anything else, they just throw it in the airplane like it's a piece of luggage trust me I've flown before and I always ended up with a damaged part. You have to make sure you secure your equipment as best as you can so that nothing bad happens to it.
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Be aware of current lithium battery regs. I have no idea if these from this source ( http://ebikes.ca/store/store_batteries.php ) are up to date or not: "Please note that due to recent changes in transport regulations governing lithium batteries when shipped to the US and internationally they are classified as Class 9 Dangerous Goods. We are able to ship under these regulations using our FedEx International Priority service but FedEx charge a $50 handling fee and it's an extra $10 packaging surcharge because of the increased shipping requirements. "
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Lithium ion batteries are used in the SmartDrive, but not in the ZX-1.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    Lithium ion batteries are used in the SmartDrive, but not in the ZX-1.
    She is taking the Firefly which I believe also has a lithium battery. It could be shipped separately ahead of their arrival.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

We too are planning to fly with my son's Firefly in the near future. I will be dismantling the Firefly so that it can be packed in a bag, and checked in. I specifically asked the airline about the Lithium battery, and here is their response:

"Battery-powered wheelchairs or other similar mobility devices with spillable batteries or with lithium batteries. Provided that the wheelchair or mobility aid can be loaded, stowed, secured and unloaded always in an upright position then the battery may remain installed in the wheelchair. The battery terminals must be protected from short circuits, e.g. by being enclosed within a battery container, and the battery must be securely attached to the wheelchair or mobility aid.

We already put a note on your booking that you will be bringing a lithium battery as a checked baggage."

So the first part of the response isn't really relevant to us, as the battery will be separate from the Firefly. But I intend to have the battery available to show at check-in, to prove that the terminals can't be short-circuited, then put it back in the bag.

Our airline is Emirates, who are usually very good with wheelchairs etc.

As an aside, we did travel with a Levo standing chair some years ago, which has a battery to power the standing function. When we went to pick the chair up (it had been checked in as oversize luggage), the battery had been removed from the chair, and was sitting near the chair, upright, undamaged. It was firmly fixed to the chair when we checked it in, so someone must have removed it for some reason. Odd.
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

I'm very interested to hear the firefly has a lithium battery (I seriously am doubting the reasons for wet-cell batteries, for travel or anything else), but it might be better to send air travel discussions to a new thread - returning this one to the zx1. Although I would like to know if there are plans to evolve the zx1 to dry cell technology...