Page 1 of 60 123456789101151 ... LastLast

Thread: power add-on for manual chair

power add-on for manual chair

I took my new invention to the Abilities Expo yesterday and got a lot of attention. I got stopped every few minutes asking what it was and who makes it and how do I get one. People would leave the booths they were at and crowd around to watch me demonstrate it. I also had some high ups from some major companies that were very interested.

Heres an abstract from the patent application I submitted:
    The device is a power add-on attachment made specifically for a manual rigid framed wheelchair with a solid rear axle tube. It is designed to attach easily to the rear axle tube of said wheelchair and convert it to a power wheelchair simply by backing up to the device. An automatic latching system attaches to the rear axle turning the chair into a power wheelchair. There is absolutely no modification done to the user’s manual chair. When the user wants to return to their everyday manual chair they can push a button on a remote which activates an electric actuator that releases the chair from the device. The device can also be released by manually pushing a lever. The device has optional built in armrests on which the joystick/controller is mounted which operates the device. This combination behaves exactly like a convention power wheelchair in most respects but has additional benefits as well. The devise attaches in a way that still allows the manual chair to tilt back and raise the front caster wheels off the ground when encountering obstacles such as thresholds and steps up to approximately three inches high. It also has a built in recline and anti-tip feature so the user can recline and relieve pressure from their seat cushion safely which is very important in order to avoid pressure sores. Another feature of this device is that the part that is attached to the manual chair is of a swing arm design incorporating a shock absorber to transfer weight to the device for traction and allowing for a comfortable ride through rough terrain. This swing arm along with a built in electric actuator raises the manual wheelchair’s rear wheels off the ground to provide traction to the powered device. The combination will still work with the manual wheelchairs rear wheels on the ground while traversing level terrain because the powered drive wheels on the devise line up perfectly centered with the manual drive wheels. The higher manual wheelchairs rear wheels are raised, the larger the obstacles the combination can traverse. An additional benefit is that it enables the user the advantage of additional height and reach capabilities for different everyday tasks.

Here's a few pics:

I'm working on a video, hopefully I can figure out the editing software soon and post it.

I have patent pending status but is not yet licensed to any manufacturer. Your comments below could help me to attract a manufacturer and get this to the market sooner.

wow, that's really cool. congratulations.

don't lose the flow of great ideas. I wish you a lot of good luck
    Last edited by cypresss; 06-02-2009 at 01:55 AM.
    This signature left intentionally blank.

That is cool. Best of luck with the journey to getting it patented and into production (Hopefully at a decent profit AND an affordable price).

How much does it weigh? What size batteries?

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    That is cool. Best of luck with the journey to getting it patented and into production (Hopefully at a decent profit AND an affordable price).

How much does it weigh? What size batteries?
    About 75lbs, batteries are es12-12(12v 12ah)

65 views and just 2 comments...i guess you need to see a video...very amateur video but you can get the jist of it:
    http://www.gimpspeed.com/video9.html

I hope I didn't scare ppl from commenting with the last sentence of my original post. I'd appreciate all comments good and bad, questions and suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    That is cool.
    Correction, after seeing the video, I'd say that is Super Cool!

I want one now!! I like many others like the feel of a manual chair. I currently use E-motion wheels but I am still limited where I can go independently. This fits the bill perfectly.
    What’s the range?
    Approx cost?
    When will it go into production?

The clips not working for me, can you put it on youtube? I wanted to go to the expo but I didn't know when it was and when a friend called me and asked me if I was going I was bummed cuz I already had plans for the weekend. But it would have been great to see your wc upclose, it looks very cool.

It really looks great. If it does work with most rigid frames, you should have a winner. However, heed my words below.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

After a second look, I am wondering how this does on uneven surfaces like lawns where there are recesses and holes. Can it get hung up on the manual wheels when the drive unit is over a recessed area?
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Looks real nice. Just to get a little picky, it would look cool if you could run the cord through the armrest to hide it for a cleaner look. Also the smallest possible joystick controller would fit a manual chair best. My Quickie 646 is more compact. Great product!