Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Travel Lift for Cruise?

wow, kld, you do all that? i'm surprised. been on 4 alaska cruises and 1 carib. i never leave my stateroom until 9:30 or 10 on last day. and i always keep a cath change kit, gloves, etc. with me, not in luggage in hall. i'm in too much pain. they knock but nobody gets nasty. i refuse to sit in pain for 2 hours in a color coded "staging" area. but i don't use a lift. why doesn't the cruise ship personnel help? heck, they are always grabbing stuff out of my hands when i don't even want them to.

You might be able to check it, but the way they throw the luggage around it could be damaged. I would instead go to the special needs desk for check-in with it (get help from a porter if needed) and ask for assistance from there. While we do check our lift now that my dad is not here to travel with us, it always makes me very nervous until it shows up in the room and I can make sure it is not damaged.

Cass, we don't allow anyone to take the bag with the meds, catheters, and bowel care supplies, and I also like to keep an eye on my own carry on and both wheelchairs. We had our lift damaged once when checked, even though it is very sturdy when folded up. Our system works for us. Can't get anyone to help with gear from the cabin on disembarkation, but nearly always can get help from the special waiting area for passengers with disabilities, so that is what we do. We rarely sit for long before disembarking. By the time we eat breakfast (avoid the Lido at all costs) we usually can be off the ship whenever we want, esp. since my mother is at the top tier for most cruise lines frequent-cruiser programs. It is rare we are not out of the cabin by the required 8AM and off the ship by 930AM at the latest. Of course that means I get up at 5:30AM to start the morning routine....

Yes, I saw the Molift. Bids are up to nearly $1000 without meeting the reserve yet.

(KLD)

Richard, a CIL is the Center for Independent Living. Each state and city seems to vary but some have or know where lending closets are or if a family is trying to get rid of unneeded items.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

kld, if I may ask the question. If you fly does the airline charge you for the travel lift??

Thanks

Ron K

No, have never been charged as it is considered a mobility item. This includes both USA carriers as well as Air New Zealand and Varig.

(KLD)

KLD

Thank you. I have always rented one in my travels. This adds up, thinking of getting a travel lift. Thanks again for your help.

p.s. Great forum just stumbled on to it!!
    ron

Quote Originally Posted by rfbdorf View Post
    Like I said earlier, we can rent a lift on the ship, but that would leave us without a lift in the hotel pre- and post-cruise.
    Hi, how was your cruise? Did you ever solve this problem about having a lift in the hotel pre- and post-cruise? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitzbub View Post
    Hi, how was your cruise? Did you ever solve this problem about having a lift in the hotel pre- and post-cruise? Thanks.
    You do realize that this thread is 9 years old, right?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    You do realize that this thread is 9 years old, right?

(KLD)
    Sure, only rbfdorf perfectly described a problem I'm trying to solve right now. I appreciated your detailed description in this thread, too. How did you negotiate this 'between time' when you might need a patient lift between the flight and the cruise? Or did you always go directly from the airport to the embarkation point? Thanks.

We nearly always went directly to the ship from the airport, but if we went to a hotel, we had the lift with us, just as we had both wheelchairs and our luggage. We gate checked wheelchairs and the lift, so we got them back at the gate, not through baggage claim.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.