Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Travel Lift for Cruise?

Travel Lift for Cruise?

We'll be on a week-long Alaska cruise in August. On our last cruise, we rented a lift; as I recall, that set us back on the order of $275. The lift was the same clunky Hoyer that we have at home, and I could probably buy an equivalent (used) one for the cost of that rental. We used a Beasy board for the transfer to & from the bed in the hotel pre-cruise - that nearly was a disaster, as the bed was so high that we almost didn't make the uphill transfer & my wife nearly hit the floor.
    So anyway, I figure these are our choices now -

1. We could take our lift with us this time. It only disassembles into a couple of large parts. That would mean rolling it the long way up to the ship, which would make quite a sight, as well as being a PITA.
    2. We could rent again and at least have a lift on the ship; take our chances with the transfer board in the hotel before & after the cruise (I haven't used the board for over a year; we now use the Hoyer and I'm putting in a ceiling lift).
    3. We could purchase a travel lift, like the Molift Smart or Hoyer Advance. But golly, those are expensive, especially the Molift!!! We don't travel much, so I don't know if I could justify that cost. I've been looking on eBay for a number of months, but haven't seen any.
    4. Does anyone between, say, Eugene (we're in Newberg) and Vancouver have a travel lift like one of the above that they would be willing to rent to me for (name a price) for a couple of weeks?

Any other ideas?
    - Richard

p.s. Spoke too soon - there's a Molift Smart on eBay right now. Buy it now for (only) $2950!!! Ack.
    Last edited by rfbdorf; 05-31-2009 at 12:37 PM.

Can't help you with a loan, but check out the Arjo Trixie (no longer made) also list on eBay. Not quite as easy to transport as the Hoyer Advance or Molift, but it does fold up very compact and I have used it in the past...it is a good lift, and one of the better ones for getting someone in and out of a car.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Arjo-Trixie-Pati...3%3A2|294%3A50

(KLD)

Maybe a local Molift or Liko dealer can let you "demo" the lift...for a week! Dealers are usually listed on manufacturer's websites.

Hell, renting from someone who has one not in use is a great idea..hopefully someone will know of someone in area here. too bad the cruise ship doesn't have them as accomodations..

I got a hotel in Jamaica to buy and pay for ..a raised toilet seat when they measured thier toilet at 15" high..but of course that was only under $100!

I am sure a Veteran could get one from their local VA unit..again as a demo. .

I wish you luck and have a great time on the cruise..

KLD, Thanks for the pointer to the Arjo. Unfortunately it's in NY and they won't ship. But I'll put that type on my list to look for.
    Sherocks -Thanks for the ideas. The DMEs I've dealt with won't even do overnight demos.
    - Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rfbdorf View Post
    KLD, Thanks for the pointer to the Arjo. Unfortunately it's in NY and they won't ship. But I'll put that type on my list to look for.
    Sherocks -Thanks for the ideas. The DMEs I've dealt with won't even do overnight demos.
    - Richard
    Does your county or nearest CIL have a lending closest? Many places have an amazing range of things. And who you cruising with?
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Sue - so I'm being dense. What's CIL?
    We're going to be on Holland America. Like I said earlier, we can rent a lift on the ship, but that would leave us without a lift in the hotel pre- and post-cruise.

Ah - got it - Center for Independent Living!
    Last edited by rfbdorf; 06-04-2009 at 02:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rfbdorf View Post
    We'll be on a week-long Alaska cruise in August. On our last cruise, we rented a lift; as I recall, that set us back on the order of $275. The lift was the same clunky Hoyer that we have at home.

Did you rent this fom cruise line or local DME? Was there much room in cabin w/lift,powerchair, etc... I have thought about cruises just did not know how my wife and I could manage all the junk I need in rooms. I am C5 powerchair user.

BTW-You will luv the ceiling lift best investment in equipment I've made.

We rented from Care Vacations. They deliver the equipment to the ship so it's waiting in your cabin when you arrive (that's why the high price - you're paying for the service). We had plenty of room for the power chair & lift, although rooms vary.
    Quote Originally Posted by quad80 View Post
    Did you rent this fom cruise line or local DME? Was there much room in cabin w/lift,powerchair, etc... I have thought about cruises just did not know how my wife and I could manage all the junk I need in rooms. I am C5 powerchair user.

Quote Originally Posted by quad80 View Post

My mother (who is tetrplegic due to MS) has a ceiling lift and roll-in shower at home, but when we cruise (just came back from my 17th and her 38th) we take the following (all of which we own):
    • Power wheelchair with backpack
    • Manual chair (needed in ports and as a back-up) with backpack
    • Travel rolling shower/commode chair (bought nearly new, used on eBay)
    • Travel lift (bought new; much traveled now)
    • Slide board and gait belts for transfers to cars in ports and as back-ups (these go in the luggage)
    We are quite the parade getting on the ship. We gate-check the lift and wheelchairs when flying, then when we get to the pier we check the luggage, shower/commode chair and travel lift with the porters. I put our carry-on bags on the manual chair, strap them down with a bungie cord, and push this and my mother drives her power chair. Her carry-on is primarily bowel and bladder supplies, including bed Chux. Once we arrive on the ship and get the checked luggage, I assemble the shower commode chair and set up the lift. Both nest together well when not in use in the roll-in shower area, and we fold the manual chair and put it someplace out of the way in the cabin (depends on the ship and cabin exactly where). Luggage goes under my bed (not under hers where it would be in the way of the lift). At night, her power chair stays next to the bed (after using the lift for transfers) and is charged there. Always take an extension cord and a power bar as it is rare to have more than one electrical outlet in the whole cabin. If they offer thin egg-crate foam overlays for free (most cruise ships do), we ask for two from our cabin steward and have both put on my mother's bed for pressure reduction.

Disembarking from the ship, we need more help as you must put your big luggage out the night before. We can't put the shower/commode or the lift out of course, so when we pack I usually can put the bowel/bladder supplies bag (empty now) in one of the larger suitcases the night before, then put the shower/commode case and my small bag (with my mother's overnight clothing in it) on the manual wheelchair. I then take my mother and the lift to the special disembarkation area for passengers with disabilities on the ship or to the dining room, leave her there, go back and get the manual wheelchair and luggage, and then we eat breakfast. After that, go to the special disembarkation area and ask for a "pusher" to take the wheelchair to the dock with us (while I lug the lift) and then once on the dock get a porter to load up their cart with all to get us to our transportation. It was sure a lot easier when my dad was alive to help with all of this, but then again it is much more difficult to find wheelchair accessible cabins that sleep 3 vs. 2.

Be sure you make a packing list you can use for every trip so you don't risk forgetting anything before you leave home.

It is a major production, but for us it is worth it to have equipment we know and can rely upon, and we find cruising so much fun and so relaxing that it is worth the hassle. Once you get a system down, it is not bad. Renting is easier, but also less reliable, and of course you won't have the specific lift or power chair you are used to. We have done it, and definitely prefer our way.

(KLD)

KLD - Do you think I would be able to check a standard Hoyer lift when we arrive at the pier? Then it would only be the long roll off with it at disembarkation.
    BTW, the first Molift Smart I've seen on eBay is there now.
    - Richard