Thread: macbook White Screen of Death?

macbook White Screen of Death?

I went to turn on my macbook this morning and I got a blank white screen!! I've googled it and I've seen anything from a loose connection to the hardrive gone! I hear it running and it has a fully charged battery. I've tried options from here http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1533?viewlocale=en_US but nothing is working. I have a feeling this is going to cost A LOT of money if it's not still under warranty. I bought it in October 2007.

Does anyone know how to fix this?
    "Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today." ~ James Dean
    http://www.kristi-allen.com

I've never heard of this before...

A friend had his desktop mac screen go out on him not too long ago. I tried to find a fix for him but I couldn't find one. There are quite a few people having the same problem with their macs. I found this while searching though. Mabey it'll help you Kristi.

Mac Book Pro blank screen problem

In July 2008, NVIDIA publicly acknowledged a higher than normal failure rate for some of their graphics processors due to a packaging defect. At that same time, NVIDIA assured Apple that Mac computers with these graphics processors were not affected. However, after an Apple-led investigation, Apple has determined that some MacBook Pro computers with the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics processor may be affected. If the NVIDIA graphics processor in your MacBook Pro has failed, or fails within two years of the original date of purchase, a repair will be done free of charge, even if your MacBook Pro is out of warranty.

Kristi: I would hazard a guess that you do not have AppleCare. I would call Apple (800-275-2273) anyway to get some guidance over the phone for this problem. You may have to take the MacBook to an Apple Store or a Certified Apple Reseller in your area. Getting a new HD for your MacBook is not going to break the bank.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Dave that link is comforting and I hope it's something just as simple as that.

PN -- I'm going to take it out next week when I have more time and I am feeling better (battling a bad cold and don't want to give it to too many people) to the store I bought it at.

Jadis has been more than helpful today with the trials and tribulations of trying to figure out what the hell was wrong and she is on the hunt for a new hard drive if I do need one and I am confident with her help I can install it by myself. Though it looks like I need to find the world's smallest screw driver to get these itty bitty screws out of the back.

It's not the end of the world. Most of the pics and videos that were on it are on the PC. All my school work is done on the school's computer or PC. It could be worse.
    "Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today." ~ James Dean
    http://www.kristi-allen.com

Kristi, I would NOT try to put anything into the MAC till I check with the store about the warranty! It might break the warranty if you try to give it your own quick fix. And if it is still under warranty and can be fixed for free...free is good, right?

I pray I don't get that problem on my own iMac!!!

Take care and feel better!

Teena

I'm pretty sure the warranty that comes with the MacBook is 2 years and you can buy a 3rd year with the apple care protection plan. Since you got it in October 2007 you still have a few months left under your original warranty. I would take it to the Apple store ASAP and have them look at it so that you can get it fixed. Make sure to go onto the apple website www.apple.com/support and schedule an appt. at the Genius Bar.
    Mandy
    ~Mandy~
    SCI as a result of spinal surgery
    TiLite Aero Z!!!

Kristi,

that pretty much happened to my macbook, except it was happened slowly, over about a month and then it just went white. I bought mine in November, so it was still under warranty. They had to replace the screen. The tech guys told me the part is worth around the $900 mark. Being that we're opening and closing labtops all the time, for this reason they say its a good idea to get the extended warranty. Wires where it bends get worn out I guess. Boo!

Oh, and when I called apple, I couldn't talk to a tech unless I paid $50 one time or 2 years worth of tech service for like $250. So take it to an Apple store or where you bought it, if you haven't done so already.