Thread: new spinal cord injury

new spinal cord injury

Six weeks ago my husband had and infection after spinal cord surgery. He had an abscess that compressed his spinal cord. His surgery was in the lumbar region but the abcess traveled up and did damage to the thoracic region. He does not have any feeling below T4. Since the injury he has not had any imporvement at all. We have been told that the earlier he has some feeling the better the results will be, so as the days go be we are all becoming very dicouraged. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Hello,
    I also received my injury, T11-12, from an infection following a spinal tap procedure. I personally did not start gaining anything until about six months post. I started off with no movement or feeling, ASIA A. After about a year a few months I was reclassified as, ASIA B. I regained some feeling and a small amount of un-useful movement but it bumped be up to a ASIA B . Six weeks is still very early. Is your husband receiving any PT/OT? Is he at a major SCI center? You can PM me anytime.

Becky
    T8-9 according to latest scoring.......
    since 1/3/04

I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

The spinal cord is getting a spinal shock and most people have no movement for some months. I had for three month but after 8 months I was walking out of the rehab. But that is so many years ago, I was 6 month in rehab and exercising at least 5 hours a day and I was a lucky incomplete so the exercising was working for me.
    TH 12, 43 years post

I agree with everything said so far. Six weeks is very early into his injury, and there is the possibility of great improvement over the next year or more. Some say two years even. He should definitely be in a spinal cord injury center if he isn't already, as the skill, knowledge, and dedication of the people working with SCI daily are far superior to general hospitals. Keep writing here and asking questions. There are a lot of people on this site, and almost any question you can come up with can be answered by someone who has already been through it, or by our SCI nurse's, who know SCI inside and out.

While the earlier you get return the better, it is common to not see any return for 6-12 months, and it will be at least 24 months before you know how much return, if any will occur.

Is he in a specialty SCI rehabilitation center now? Where?

Is he a military veteran by any chance?

It is important now to maximize what he has, prevent complications, and learn how to get back to living in spite of the injury. Hoping for return is great and important, but if that is all you do, he will stagnate.

(KLD)

Thank you all for answering.

Just this week my husband was transferred the to Wade Park VA. Hospital in Cleveland. He had spent three weeks at the SCI rehab unit at Metro hospital here. They were really great but since he is retired from the service we thought the VA would be better for now. I don't really know what his rehab will be. He is considered complete and he is rated an A.
    Although this happened so recently it still feels like a few years have passed and we have entered a new world. Coming home is another issue. How am I going to take care of him? My husband and I are both 60 years old. I don't move quite as quick as I used to. Thanks again

Hi..I am so sorry you are having to go through this...My husband's injury has only been 5 weeks ago. I know what you mean about how it seems like years has gone by. That is how I feel. It turns your life upside down. This site has helped me so much. I have learned alot on here. I have decided to just take things one day at a time. If I didn't I would get so overwhelmed. Try to stay calm. It does get a little better. It's slowly getting better for us, BUT we ARE getting there. We are still in rehab. Learn everything you can while you are there. And ask lots of questions. As far as taking care of him goes, you can always look into getting him a caregiver to come to your home. I know alot of people on here has them. I am only 30 so I will be doing most of the caring for my husband but I have plans on getting a caregiver for certain things I will need done. I hope for you and your family the best and will keep yall in my prayers. Take care
    p.s. Don't forget to take care of yourself. I forgot about that until people on here and family started telling me to make sure I took care of myself.

Quote Originally Posted by melli1 View Post
    Thank you all for answering.

Just this week my husband was transferred the to Wade Park VA. Hospital in Cleveland. He had spent three weeks at the SCI rehab unit at Metro hospital here. They were really great but since he is retired from the service we thought the VA would be better for now. I don't really know what his rehab will be. He is considered complete and he is rated an A.
    Although this happened so recently it still feels like a few years have passed and we have entered a new world. Coming home is another issue. How am I going to take care of him? My husband and I are both 60 years old. I don't move quite as quick as I used to. Thanks again
    Melli1..my husband (61) was injured last summer (July 22nd) and spent 3 months at Metro and 2 weeks at the VA Wade Park. We have been through a lot....please PM me. I sent you a PM a while ago...but I know your life has been crazy and hectic. If you have any questions....we are almost a year ahead of you...and live in the same area...so perhaps I can help. Hang in there, Brenda (Medina, Oh)
    Brenda

Melli1, I was wondering how you were doing...a busy, hectic time I know...I pray things have lightened for you and your family...our caregiving forum will let you know you are never alone...judy

Quote Originally Posted by darrellswife17 View Post
    .........p.s. Don't forget to take care of yourself. I forgot about that until people on here and family started telling me to make sure I took care of myself.

darrellswife , melli1 and Brenda ..... when you're ready please visit us at Caregiving and for more intimate issues the more private (in members area) Caregivers forums ! You will find many people facing similar challenges willing to share their experiences .... including to remind you to ... yes ... take care of you !! Sorry you had to but glad you found us!!

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry