Thread: Need information on becoming a home caregiver

Need information on becoming a home caregiver

It's been a long time since I posted...but I'm still around...
    I lost my job...so I went back to school for my STNA cerf. and I will finish school at the end of June this year...
    My question is: What kind of training/education do I need to do home care for a handicap person?...Where can I go, to find this information?...what steps do I take?...I would like to know if I could do it, so I need information as to what's involved in taking care of someone at home...pm me or post...would like to hear from other caregivers...thanks...

Check with your local community college or adult education center. They might have certified nursing assistant or personal care giver training programs.

Smile Caregiver

Try checking the local colleges if your needing classes. I didn't need any classes b/c I'm taking care of a family member. Also look in your area in yellowpages.com to find home health services offered in your area and they can also give you info on what classes you need to become a caregiver/attendant. For myself I'm taking care of our daughter since her accident and signed up with the state to become a paid caregiver in our home for our daughter. The home health agency I'm an employee of is Visiting Nurses Assoc. I don't know what state your in, but so far I have had no problems with the agency in getting paid and medical supplies needs for my daughter.
    Aggie Mom 2007

Quote Originally Posted by harley-lynn View Post
    It's been a long time since I posted...but I'm still around...
    I lost my job...so I went back to school for my STNA cerf. and I will finish school at the end of June this year...
    My question is: What kind of training/education do I need to do home care for a handicap person?...Where can I go, to find this information?...what steps do I take?...I would like to know if I could do it, so I need information as to what's involved in taking care of someone at home...pm me or post...would like to hear from other caregivers...thanks...

Not dissing your drive to return to work, but wondering how realistic it is for you to be a PCA given your own disability. With what you've written about the problems you've had with your SB Oc at L-5 and your leg function after the fall on the stairs, is lifting, assisting in transfers, bathing, turning another person realistic?

It may work for you. There may be things about your previous posts I did not understand. I'm floating these questions because being a personal care attendant can be very physically intense. If you learn you physically cannot do the work after a program of x number of months, it would mean you are unemployed that much longer.

I hope this or something works for you.