Thread: Modifications/Discrimination

Modifications/Discrimination

I have had the hardest time finding a property so I've decided to not be so upfront in full about my disability. He does know I'm disabled though.

I have a verbal agreement with the landlord to allow a ramp and bathroom modifications as long as I return the property back into its natural state(the way it is now.)

I cannot get into the house yet(no ramp) so my mom is meeting him there. She is going to get a look, meet the guy and let him know I will be in touch tomorrow morning about moving in and the deposit.

Am I good to go as far as him not backing out on me when he finds out I'm a quad that wants to remove his bathtub and replace it with a shower?
    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

Get it in writing. Have you mom take a letter from you describing what you want to do and the conditions of replacement, already signed by you, and have him sign it. Don't sign a lease without this in place. Both of you should keep copies.

(KLD)

Chris, removing a tub will be VERY costly...especially putting it back the way it was when you leave...and I doubt he will give you permission to do that. The only way I see that happening is if you were to do a very extended lease, for several years and I know this is only temp...I hear your frustration...I did get a call once when I was managing property from someone who told me of an agency that paid the owner to do the modifications...but I have searched and searched and can't find it...lot of help that is...if you can get into the bathroom and other doorways, would one of those seats that go into the tub work? Can or did your Mom take pictures? I've got some stuff for the kiddo...please come for another visit soon! and I don't think he can not rent to you because you are a quad, but he can say no to certain improvements...and the hud inspections are sometimes over the top...once there was a cute little house...but, the dishwasher didn't work...the owner did not want to replace it, or fix it...she told me to tell tenants that...when hud inspected the house, that was an issue...fix it or take it out...in order to take it out, a new cabnet and counter top had to be done...so, an affordable unit for someone on section 8 didn't get rented...all because of a broken dishwasher...and the poor old lady that wanted the house could have cared less about the dishwasher...

How soon can hud inspect the unit? good luck...until an actual contract with hud is approved don't pay any rent, just the deposit...are all your care providers dependable? how far away will your mom be? I'm excited for you! hugs, judy

Okay, so that house and two others we looked at today didn't work out. Got home, called the landlord from another house I previously looked at and worked something out so he would lower the rent. I'm responsible for cost/labor of the bathroom modification. Soooooo, I got a house but now I have to find money and labor fast. Wish me luck.

Judy, a visit sounds great but a lot is happening now with work and this house mission I'm on but hopefully sometime before it gets any cooler outside we can make it up that way.
    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace