Thread: Invacare warning

Invacare warning

Don't know if others may have heard of this. The link also includes a link to other recalls on the invacare wheel chairs.

In September 2000, Invacare expanded the recall, increasing from six to 16 the number of models covered and nearly doubling the number of wheelchairs included, according to the Food and Drug Administration, which regulates the devices.

The recall now covers all powered wheelchairs Invacare made from 1985 to 2000 - more than 215,000 of them. Although Invacare sent cards to possible customers and notified many dealers of the recall, it acknowledged that it has not referred to the recall in press releases,
    filings to the Securities and Exchange Commission, annual reports or on its Web site.

"Many people don't know, still, about the risk. It's out there, but they should have had it on national TV," said Douglas Clark, a partner with Mesch, Clark & Rothschild of Tucson,
    Ariz., the law firm that settled the case last month on behalf of Betty Davis, who suffered second- and third-degree burns over 25 percent of her body.

About 39 percent of the wheelchairs made since 1993 have been corrected, said company spokeswoman Susan Elder. Invacare doesn't have similar data for wheelchairs made earlier than that, she said. She would not comment about legal issues.
    http://www.gizbytes.com/wheelchair/Invacare-warning.htm

Raven
    Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. ~Victor Hugo~

A warrior is not one who always wins,
    but one who keeps on fighting to the end ~ Unknown ~

Raven,
    Thanks for your post. I have an old Invacare Action Arrow Story Hvy Duty power chair. I think the recall has already been done on mine but I will call the DME dealer next Tuesday to make sure the recall to replace the battery wire harness has already been done even though I havn't used it in over a year. It's stored in a friends garage since I got the PERMOBIL I now use. I don't want any problems to occur while it's stored in my friends garage. I have already sent Invacare a message using the link that was listed on your post page.

Bob
    CC member