Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can I stop taking Nortriptylene without weening?

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    Chef - where is your fusion? Is it near L4/5? My original injury was a L1 burst fracture and I was fused from T11 to L3. I then proceeded to destroy L4/L5 and had bad nerve root compression which ultimately took surgery and an extension of the fusion to correct. Is it possible you may be facing that if conservative management doesn't work? How much can you flex in the lumbar region?
    Hi Arndog,
    I'm fused between T12-L2. How did you destroy L4-5? I'm waiting on an appointment to hear about my results from the Lumbar CT. How far down are you fused now? I can't flex my lumbar region that much. My stomach can touch my thighs if I fold like a jack knife but I can't stand striaght. I'm leaning forward a bit when I do stand. Thanks for your help.
    Never Give Up!

Chef - It is not uncommon for the joints above and below the point of fusion to wear out because they are now doing the job of the fused segments to bend. So I "destroyed" my L4-5 joints both by normal flexion from movement plus "para-sports" such as monoskiing which puts incredible forces and flexion of the lumbar region. I guess I was hard on my equipment (my back). Ultimately the joints above and below the fusion will wear out and my exercise enthusiasm accelerated that process.
    So now I am fused from T11 to my pelvis for the past year. I just can't wrap my mind on a non active lifestyle to preserve function as long as possible - it doesn't compute.

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    Chef - It is not uncommon for the joints above and below the point of fusion to wear out because they are now doing the job of the fused segments to bend. So I "destroyed" my L4-5 joints both by normal flexion from movement plus "para-sports" such as monoskiing which puts incredible forces and flexion of the lumbar region. I guess I was hard on my equipment (my back). Ultimately the joints above and below the fusion will wear out and my exercise enthusiasm accelerated that process.
    So now I am fused from T11 to my pelvis for the past year. I just can't wrap my mind on a non active lifestyle to preserve function as long as possible - it doesn't compute.
    Holy crap! I didn't know they did that. I have too many spasms to try monoskiing and it looks like it would put your back through a beating. I play para-sports but alot less invasive than monoskiing. I was told by my cousin, an orthopedic surgeon, that my pain is normal for Myelogram patients and could last from a number of days to weeks. I haven't lost any feeling which is the main thing. The pain is tapering but at a snails pace.
    Never Give Up!