Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Worried

Unhappy Worried

Don't know if this should be in another forum but if it should, please move it.

I am very concerned about Nick. He has not had his insulin shot for two days now. His bottle fell and broke late in the evening. He called the doctor and they told him that would give him one free. He only needed to go to the clinic for it. So he went yesterday. They told him they needed the doctors order and that they were going to talk to the doc later for the order. They also said they would call us when they got the order. They also mentioned that he would have to pay for it. They never called so he has been without it. Have been having him check his glucose levels often during the day. He has not been eating much so the level is not too high. He thinks that if he doesn't eat, his sugar won't go up. *sigh*

Then yesterday he woke up complaining of pain in his back plus aches all over his body. During the day it got worse and he began to have other complaints. Fever, headache, chills and vertigo. He has been taking his metformin twice a day, a med for high bp and tylenol for the headaches. He seems to be exhausted and keeps falling asleep all day. My sister told me today that there are reports of the Swine flu virus in this city. I looked up the symptoms and he seems to have some of them. Now I wonder if that could be what is going on. He is not coughing so far though.

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas as to what may be going on? I'm afraid for him and Isis also because he is still driving her to and from school even when his temp is up.

Raven
    Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. ~Victor Hugo~

A warrior is not one who always wins,
    but one who keeps on fighting to the end ~ Unknown ~

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post

I am very concerned about Nick. He has not had his insulin shot for two days now. His bottle fell and broke late in the evening. He called the doctor and they told him that would give him one free. He only needed to go to the clinic for it. So he went yesterday. They told him they needed the doctors order and that they were going to talk to the doc later for the order. They also said they would call us when they got the order. They also mentioned that he would have to pay for it. They never called so he has been without it. Have been having him check his glucose levels often during the day. He has not been eating much so the level is not too high. He thinks that if he doesn't eat, his sugar won't go up. *sigh*

Then yesterday he woke up complaining of pain in his back plus aches all over his body. During the day it got worse and he began to have other complaints. Fever, headache, chills and vertigo. He has been taking his metformin twice a day, a med for high bp and tylenol for the headaches. He seems to be exhausted and keeps falling asleep all day. My sister told me today that there are reports of the Swine flu virus in this city. I looked up the symptoms and he seems to have some of them. Now I wonder if that could be what is going on. He is not coughing so far though.

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas as to what may be going on? I'm afraid for him and Isis also because he is still driving her to and from school even when his temp is up.

Raven
    Raven,

He needs his insulin. It is nuts that he would have no backup bottle and that his clinic does not treat a patient who is insulin-dependent and does not have insulin in this cavalier a fashion. Whatever the reason, don't let this go on. Have somebody call the doctor and get the prescription pronto. Even though his glucose levels may not be too high because he is starving himself, he may be get ketoacidosis from lack of glucose. The problem in diabetes is not just the high blood sugar. Without insulin, the glucose cannot get into the cells. Without glucose, the cells starve.

The fact that he has fever and symptoms of an infection should be taken seriously. As you describe, Nick is not himself and these are symptoms of a flu or something. Why don't you encourage him to go to the emergency room where he can get all these problems taken care of in one fell swoop? They would get his glucose under control, evaluate his fever, and give him a prescription for insulin.

Wise.

It seems that for whatever reason, he's no longer willing to even acknowledge your concerns are valid, let alone act on them. I'm so sorry you both are in this position.

Is there a family friend that Nick trusts who could rather forcefully insist that they drive Nick to the ER, no ifs/ands/buts accepted? And I hate to even suggest this, but desperate times and all...perhaps you can get Isis to ask Daddy to please go to the doctors and get the medicine he needs so he can feel better (big soulful eyes always help)? I hate to involve kids in stuff like this, but you gotta admit their pleas can be effective far beyond anything an adult can offer. With you being so worried and Nick feeling off, I can't imagine Isis isn't already picking up that something's up with Daddy. (Bracing for the flames from even suggesting this...)

Wish you guys were down here, Raven. One of the progressive public health policies in the USVI is that you do not need a doctor's prescription to purchase insulin. The rationale is sound -- the fewer barriers that stand between people getting this life-saving drug, the more likely they will be to get it and use it. Statistics seem to show it works.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post

Raven
    Hi Raven,
    I am also a type 1 diabetic for 20 yrs. So here is my advice. I know the temp and all is scary with the reports of the flu but getting that diagnosed and treated isn't going to mean anything if he doesn't get his insulin. Especially with the other symptoms he is having. It could be an infection or it could be a combo of that plus lack of insulin. Have him get the insulin today, anyway you can. Park yourself in an urgent care/ER if you have to. Trust me, I learned the hard way bout being nice and waiting for prescription refills.

Becky
    T8-9 according to latest scoring.......
    since 1/3/04

I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

Thank you Wise for the info. I did show him what you said about the Ketones. We think that was what he was going through at the beginning before he was dx. Thank God he didn't meet that situation at that time.

thc, I actually called the clinic myself and got things going. They told me that the insulin was at the hospital pharmacy so he could go pick it up. He has it now and he will start on it today again.

It is incredible what they did though. They had told him that it would cost 60 something yesterday. When he picked it up, he had to pay close to $100 for it. Lucky I had that amount saved, so I gave it to him. He had told me that apparently they charged him even though it was supposed to be free with his discount but the charge was because the bottle was broken, then he had to pay for the replacement. Good grief, he didn't break it on purpose. As for his fever, it has gone down to the high 99's. We are expecting the visiting nurse so he can maybe, that's a big maybe, he can convince Nick to go have the doc check him out and maybe prescribe some antibiotic if necessary. There is one family member who has helped in the way you mention to take him to ER. That was when he was dealing with Neuropathy in his legs and feet whick we didn't know he had. The only problem is that he works on different shifts with prisoners and is only off on weekends. But if it becomes necessary, I will call him to help us. Even if he has to drag him there. You know, maybe I should ask Bethany to come over and get him going.

Becky, I think he has Type 2, not sure though. We just found out maybe a few weeks ago. I think he is sort of in denial and not accepting it right now. There are other health issues he still might be dealing with. Needs to get the doctor and hospital discount too. He keeps worrying about owing money that he won't be able to pay with his check and that is one of the reasons he many times refuses to go to ER or doctors. I tell him that we can work that out somehow but no, he won't listen. I trust that things will change for us someday.

Thank you all for your input. You have been a great support and help at this time.

Raven
    Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. ~Victor Hugo~

A warrior is not one who always wins,
    but one who keeps on fighting to the end ~ Unknown ~

Raven,
    Your welcome . It is possible he has type 2 but regardless he needs his insulin. When I was 12 I decided to stop taking my insulin for a couple of weeks because I wanted to be like the other kids and not have to worry about shots and checking my blood sugar etc. I ended up in the ICU for three weeks, half of which I spent in a comma because the lack of insulin threw off my Ph balance in my blood. I went through the whole denial thing too but, he has a daughter that I'm sure he wants to see grow up. He has to take care of himself for her if nothing else. If Nick would like to talk with me I would be more then willing. PM me and let me know ok.....

Becky
    T8-9 according to latest scoring.......
    since 1/3/04

I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

Raven, I'm glad you were able to replace that insulin! My brother was diabetic, and I say was because he passed away about two years ago. He died from complications of diabetes. It destroyed his kidneys and he was'nt a good canidate for a transplant. Tell Nick to stick to what he's doing and don't do without his insulin.

I hope you're doing okay Raven, I know you've been having painful problems.

Raven, it is nuts that they charged him that much. He should look online at reputable diabetes supply places in the US. Insulin is actually rather inexpensive, or should be if they had treated him fairly.

Raven I'm glad Nick got his insulin. I can't believe they made him pay $100.
    Is Nick on Medicare? Liberty Mutual delivers everything free to your house.

Diabetes Supplies

Get diabetes supplies delivered right to your door — with free shipping.

With Liberty, if you're a Medicare beneficiary your cost may be covered by Medicare. And with qualified supplemental insurance, chances are you'll pay nothing at all.*

http://www.libertymedical.com/diabetes-supplies/

If not free maybe cheaper. He wouldn't have to drive.

May God watch over you & Nick and help ya'll get the medicine ya'll need.

(((hugs))) Hang in there sweetie. Mona

Oh my goodness Raven, what an awful situation. I'm glad Nick has the insulin he needs now, but I am shocked at how difficult it can be to get it!
    I'm not diabetic, but I'm sure this kind of treatment would not happen in England.

And Becky - wow, talk about scary! Thank goodness you recovered.