Thread: Bread :)

Smile Bread :)

Anyone else making and baking it? Just managed my first batch off starter dough and it turned out well. I'm thinking of branching into other types of bread. Recipes anyone?

There is something so very satisfying about making and baking the stuff. I'm sharing what I bake with neighbors and friends, not eating it. I could see how this could be a way to grow an ass the size of Texas in short order if I did not give 98% of it away.

I find kneading, working and massaging the dough is great for my paws. I work it while it stays inside a baggie. (The starter for the bread stays in a baggie and all future bread comes from this starter which is cultivated and used for additional loaves.) I only make a big mess on baking day. A friend of mine says I bake with GUSTO!

The starter dough is fed twice a week with flour, milk and sugar and burped daily as the yeast emits gas and the bag expands. I have a horror of the doughy mess which could be left in my kitchen were I not to burp it. As I wrote in the women's forum, I've named the doughy blob Seymour as in "Feed me Seymour. Feed me ..."

I'm interested in any tips you may wish to share about baking, bread more specifically, but any baking. This is a learn as I make and bake adventure for me.

This is what I've learned so far:

-I was going to buy both silicone loaf and mini-loaf pans for baking bread and a friend warned me of how floppy and flexible those are. She said for an ab those are more safely used on a baking sheet. I have chosen not to go with silicone.

Have not made bread for years, but used to at home when I was growing up and back in my hippie days in the 1970s. I have not made sour dough for years. An excellent sponge is critical to good sour dough.

If you want a good hearty whole wheat bread, I can recommend this recipe (my mother's whole wheat bread):

1 1/2 cups cracked wheat berries
    Water
    1 cup honey
    2 Tb. salt
    1/4 vegetable oil
    3 pkg. yeast dissolved in 1/3 cup warm water
    1 cup wheat germ
    1 1/2 cup sesame seeds
    1 cup powdered non-fat milk
    9 cups whole wheat flour

Mix cracked wheat in 2 cups water. Simmer for 10 minutes or until all water is absorbed. Add the 3 more cups water, the honey, salt and oil. Heat until lukewarm. Pour into a large bowl. Dissolve yeast in water and stir in. Mix one-half of the flour with the wheat germ, seeds and milk powder. Beat into the liquid until smooth. Add remaining flour little at a time. Knead. Rise, punch down. Divide into 3 loaf pans. Rise, and bake for 45 minutes at 350 F.

Dare you to not eat at least a half a loaf as soon as it comes out of the oven!!

(KLD)

I'd like a half a loaf of both kinds please! Warm, with real butter....................talk about a toosh that does'nt need it, but it just might be worth it!

We must be on the same wave length because I baked some banana bread a month ago and wondered how I could make my own ... I have a bread maker but it doesn't come out to my liking.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I just baked the recipe that KLD posted and it was delicious!! Thanks KLD!!

Seems there are a others of us bread making and baking.

KLD, your Mom's recipe sounds yummy. When I locate cracked wheat berries I will give it a go. It sounds as though Gina Marie just cast a vote a for it with her results.

If only we can find a way to deliver hot bread SmokyMtnMemories!

Lynnifer, I've used bread machines and those are decent to good, but it is not the same. The bread is better when made by hand. If you locate starter sour dough or Amish starter dough, I've got a couple of basic recipes.

BTW, I was incorrect about my bread cycle. It's a ten day cycle.
    I'm using a little refrigerator magnet my Mom gave me to keep track of when I do what. I nudge it a quarter turn each day other than feeding and baking days since it is ten days between bakings. At first I thought it a seven day cycle, but the starter was given to me mid-cycle.

Seymour was fed today: one cup each self-rising flour; sugar; organic skim milk.

Pics may be in order. If all goes well overnight, it will look as if Seymour belongs in a lab, not a kitchen, with tiny bubbles and gas in the bag by mid-day tomorrow.

I'm thinking about making Ciabatta. I don't bake much but I make my own noodles for Asian dishes.

Mmmmm... fresh homemade bread.

I remember wanting to eat entire loaves of fresh homemade bread. I'd get angry waiting for them to cool. I just wanted to grab the warm butter, smear it all over and tear into the bread like an angry lion. Raaawwwrrawreeerraaww... and just sink my teeth and claws into it and shake it back and forth with my head until a huge chunk tore off. Then I'd probably hold everyone else back by digging my claws in their face.

lmao @ Northquad
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12