Thread: New T-11 SCI

Banned

New T-11 SCI

On April 28th, 2009 my g/f was in a tragic car accident, were not sure what caused it, possibly texting or hell anything...she went off the road and tried to turn to get back on and over corrected and ended up on the other side of the road down in a ditch into a tree...she wasnt wearing her seatbelt so she was thrown into the passenger side seat and the roof crushed down on her...She severed her T-11 and broke some of the lumbar and sacral....she broke every rib and both lungs were collapsed and on top of all that she sustained some head trauma...no one was sure shed make it through the night nor the next few days, finally she stablelized out enough to have spinal surgery...the doctor said the only thing keeping her lower body intact was her aeorta artery...she had 2 rods and 14 screws put in and the doc said shes paralyzed for good....however she has been making a phenominal recovery so far and far surpassing the doctors expectations...her head injury is still an issue rt now but for the most part she seems like Emily...lately her foot and toes have been moving quite a bit...I thought this was muscle spasms and what not so I didnt think anything of it...and then the other night I was looking at her feet noticed the bottom of them were pretty dry so I touched her feet and her foot moved...and I thought hmm spasm? so i went back and tickled her feet and her foot and toes moved...i quit and nothing happend...tickeld them again and foot and toes moved....everytime i do this they move.....could this be some sign of cell regeneration or just natural spasms or what?? Shes only 18 and was in very very good shape health wise, mentally and physically.. I am new to all of this stuff, so any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you

Dustin

I am new to all this too..My husbands accident was April 25th. What rehab is she at?.....I have heard alot about spasms and I heard that they are involuntary. So it seems by what you are saying she only does it when you touch her. That doesn't seem like a spasm. Good luck and stay stong.

Could be a reflex response. Could be something else. Good luck.
    Daniel

There will be some reflex reactions; it's hard to say.
    It's too early to tell what the final outcome will be.
    Hope for the best, plan for the way things look now.
    She'll be in rehab now or soon; don't expect miracles there - the purpose of rehab is not to cure, but to learn to live with what's there. That took me a while to realize.
    One of the most important things to learn about is avoidance of pressure sores - something that cannot be stressed enough.
    Best wishes,
    - Richard

Can she move her toes without you touching her, and repeat it on command? If not, it is very likely that what you are seeing is a exaggerated deep tendon reflex (DTR) called a Babinski. This is tested by scraping a thump nail or reflex hammer along the sole of the foot, causing the toes to fan out. When this occurs it is a sign that there is serious central nervous system damage, ie, a spinal cord injury (or brain injury or both). It is not a predictor for return.

Regardless, it is too early to know if she will get any return or not. Right now what is critical is that she get to a rehabilitation center that specializes in spinal cord injury ASAP. It is also critical that everything is done to prevent complications that can easily occur such as pressure ulcers or DVT. It is good that she is strong, as this will help her recovery, but remember that whether she gets any return or not is not dependent on how hard she works, prays, or wants it. It is the luck of the draw. What does make a difference is what she does with what she still has working.

(KLD)