Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beds

Beds

I have slept most of my SCI years in a regular bed. Have found them easier to transfer in and out of rather than hospital beds. The plus side is that it doesn't make me feel that I am any different from others. I mean, I can't walk, have to use the w/c and somehow find ways to live in a world of obstacles many times. So, why shouldn't I use a regular bed. I love the softness of the mattress that you can feel upon lying on a pillow top mattress. Or the firmness of the firm mattress that can give your back support. Most of all, the spaciousness of the full sized or queen sized beds. Sleep like a rock when on this bed.

The visiting nurse has told me that he thinks a hospital bed would be better though. He has said that it is easier to get in or out of. Plus that it has the options of raising your head or feet. He has asked me several times why I don't get one since the doctor could order it for me. My answer ... I hate them. They are hot, sweaty hot, I mean. The plastic that covers the mattress is yucky. Even when they put those egg crates, they can be a problem with making me feel too warm. Makes me feel like I'm in the hospital. That I am sick. It gives me a negative feeling and makes me feel depressed. I don't care if mine doesn't raise my head or feet up, I love sleeping in a regular bed.

The height to my bed is no problem in tranferring in or out of independently, so I think that there's no reason to change. I am happy with the way it has worked.

So, my question here is; what kind of bed do you use and which ones are more comfortable plus easier for you to transfer to and from. Sure would like to hear from others about your opinions as to using hospital beds or the regular ones.
    Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. ~Victor Hugo~

A warrior is not one who always wins,
    but one who keeps on fighting to the end ~ Unknown ~

As long as you can transfer safely in and out of your regular bed, then you should continue to do so. I sleep on a sleep number bed with a white wrought iron frame (very girly) and I love it.

queensize ikea with a fake sheepskin pad.

Quote Originally Posted by wtf View Post
    As long as you can transfer safely in and out of your regular bed, then you should continue to do so. I sleep on a sleep number bed with a white wrought iron frame (very girly) and I love it.
    Hey, I have seen those ads for them so many times. Am sold on them even though I can't afford one. Do you meet any problems with them for height?

I think my nurse says this because when he gets here, I am in bed and he has to sit down on it to get my vitals. He has often complained about his back. Had an injury previously. He is tall and a bit heavy but he is a sweetheart. Wouldn't trade him for another nurse.

Raven
    Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. ~Victor Hugo~

Raven, if you don't want a hospital bed, then you certainly don't have to have one, but keep in mind that the frame and the mattress are two different issues. The wide variety of mattresses that you can put on a standard hospital bed frame is huge, esp. if you are looking at pressure reducing mattresses. Eggcrate is totally worthless for pressure reduction by the way.

In addition, there are non-hospital bed adjustable beds (although most do not do high/low) which you can get in any size from twin through Californai King. Many of these can also be fit with a pressure reducing mattress. You just need to be sure that you get a type that a mobile lift would fit under if you should need to use one in the future (such as after an injury or illness, or as you get older).

If you require the assistance of a caregiver, then the high/low feature is more important as it is a back-saver for them.

I am moving this over to the Equipment forum. We have already had a number of discussions about beds there in the past.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    Hey, I have seen those ads for them so many times. Am sold on them even though I can't afford one. Do you meet any problems with them for height?

I think my nurse says this because when he gets here, I am in bed and he has to sit down on it to get my vitals. He has often complained about his back. Had an injury previously. He is tall and a bit heavy but he is a sweetheart. Wouldn't trade him for another nurse.

Raven
    Raven, no problems, my bed is flush with my wc so the transfer is fairly easy.

Ah but I can see your nurse's point that a higher bed would save his back. Could he sit on a chair while taking your vitals. Hope you guys figure something out.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Raven, if you don't want a hospital bed, then you certainly don't have to have one, but keep in mind that the frame and the mattress are two different issues. The wide variety of mattresses that you can put on a standard hospital bed frame is huge, esp. if you are looking at pressure reducing mattresses. Eggcrate is totally worthless for pressure reduction by the way.

In addition, there are non-hospital bed adjustable beds (although most do not do high/low) which you can get in any size from twin through Californai King. Many of these can also be fit with a pressure reducing mattress. You just need to be sure that you get a type that a mobile lift would fit under if you should need to use one in the future (such as after an injury or illness, or as you get older).

If you require the assistance of a caregiver, then the high/low feature is more important as it is a back-saver for them.

I am moving this over to the Equipment forum. We have already had a number of discussions about beds there in the past.

(KLD)
    Thanks KLD. I like the idea of the high/low feature. The only thing for me is that somehow the hospital beds look so depressing to me. They make me feel down emotionally and like I'm dying. There, I said it. They make me feel like I am so sick that I can't use a regular bed and am on my deathbed(shivers running down my back). Maybe it's just me or my mind, I really don't know but that's how I feel.

I do have to have some help at times to sit up in bed though recently. However, I consider this only temporary. Have had to deal with my shoulder and flank pain which hurt more when I try to sit up. We have always tried to use the lift to get me out of bed whenever I am having to deal with pain problems that make it hurt more to move.

Something else I wanted to ask. I noticed on my recent mattress that it sank down in the area where I sleep and has remained like that. Had never had this problem with other mattresses before. When I brought this one, I looked for the ones you can flip over but the salesman said this one is firm and wouldn't take it back when I found that this one couldn't be flipped. This is a Serta mattress just like the other ones I have had before. Has anyone had problems with their mattresses sinking down and staying down where you lay or sit?

Jody, just looked up the Ikea. Was happy to find they do have the ones you can flip over. they are the spring ones. Do you use that type? If so, what have you found to be positive or negative in their use?

Raven

Raven,

I've got a SN bed too. I got the adjustable frame, no hi-lo, just head/feet. When I got it, I went thru 3 sets of legs on it to get it to the height I wanted for xfer purposes. So you have options. But if he is used to a true hospital bed for the hi-lo feature, that would limit you, but there are a few out there.

I really like my head raising feature, watch a lot of tv in bed and this makes it easy. I set my "number" to 35 for sleeping and 100 for transferring.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Good thread Raven, I also need a new bed I just don't know where to begin.

Anyone have much experience with pillowtops?
    They are a lot cheaper than tempur pedic or sleep number.
    Problem is you can't flip pillowtop. Will they get indented fast?
    I wouldn't mind replacing it in say 4 or 5 years, but not in 1 or 2!
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Regular full size bed for me. The only adaptation is that the frame sits on 5" riser's that I got for $40.00 at Bed and Bath, along with the quad ladder cloth thing (forgot it's name) tucked between the mattress and box spring.