Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beds

Novie, I bought a pillowtop once. The difference was the height on the top. I chose one that wasn't too high. Nonetheless, it was soooo soft and comfortable and didn't dent for a long time. Nick liked it a lot so I let him have it. After he and his x gf started living together, it did. Seriously. She is pretty big and heavy, particularly when she got preggo. They kept it for several years. I remember that some of his friends would come to visit him and they would go to his bedroom and actually start to fall asleep on it. This was before his x though. Anyways, that was my experience with the pillowtop. I wouldn't mind finding another one like that one. Btw, it didn't dent at all during the first years, it took a long time for it.

McDuff, I like the idea of having the head rising but not the hospital bed idea. I watch TV a lot lately in bed but then doze off before I know it. Age is catching up with me I think. heehee As for the nurse, we will have to figure out a way so that I can raise my bedframe without it becoming a problem for me to transfer I guess. Also, wanted to ask you if the higher number means firmer?

Eileen, I have slept in the regular beds all the time with the exception of when in the hospitals, at the beginning of my injury, and a couple of years ago when I was dealing with a sore. I missed my bed so much during those times. So actually haven't slept in them much.

Raven
    Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. ~Victor Hugo~

A warrior is not one who always wins,
    but one who keeps on fighting to the end ~ Unknown ~

There are a few adjustable beds that don't look so much like a hospital bed and have a high low feature. Most come in twin/full/queen or king configurations. Here are a couple:

http://www.healthproductsforyou.com/...-A-Bed-Hi-Low/

http://www.1-800-823-4bed.com/electric-bed.htm

http://www.transfermaster.com/produc...ital-beds.html

http://www.goldenrest.net/products/gr_ghlbab.html

http://www.rotecbeds.com/client/page...=986&clef2=247

For a mattress, if you are at risk for pressure ulcers, an extra firm regular mattress like a Serta that can be flipped is really not for you. You should have something that is pressure reducing for your skin, which allows you to sink in a little and mold around you a bit (this results in better pressure distribution). Memory foam is one option, but certainly not the only one. Mattresses should also be replaced every 5-10 years depending on their construction and materials. If the mattress has a "set" (a caved in area), it needs to be replaced.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    Novie, I bought a pillowtop once. The difference was the height on the top. I chose one that wasn't too high. Nonetheless, it was soooo soft and comfortable and didn't dent for a long time. Nick liked it a lot so I let him have it. After he and his x gf started living together, it did. Seriously. She is pretty big and heavy, particularly when she got preggo. They kept it for several years. I remember that some of his friends would come to visit him and they would go to his bedroom and actually start to fall asleep on it. This was before his x though. Anyways, that was my experience with the pillowtop. I wouldn't mind finding another one like that one. Btw, it didn't dent at all during the first years, it took a long time for it.

Raven
    Thanx Raven. I would need to get a whole new frame because I want to go from a full to a queen so probably have it custom made for even transfers. My sister just got a new king sized pillow top and there is no way I can get on it myself. It's so high someone has to toss me up there.

KLD what is your opinion on pillowtops? I have a regular bed that is probably decades old and you can feel the springs in some areas but no reddness from it on my skin. I know it needs replaced.

Sorry to hijack, Raven.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Pillow tops are OK if you are not trying to heal up a wound, or don't have a history of pressure ulcers, or old scars, but they really don't do a whole lot to reduce pressure...they really help more for comfort. A good quality foam mattress will provide better pressure reduction.

(KLD)

Raven, yes higher number means firmer. At 100 it is pretty damn firm. I don't move at night, just sleep on my back, bad I know, but being able to set the SN real low almost makes it like a soft hammock.

November, I chose my middle-of-the-road Sleep Number mattress just because it is not a pillowtop. The pillow models were like you said, way up there. Also pillowtops can't be flipped, I had a good one pre-sci and it developed the dreaded mattress hole fairly quickly. If you stick with regular, I would go for the minimal pillowtop and one that can flip.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

I am also aging fast. I have used firm Sealy Posturepedic mattresses in the past and now I have a firm Simmons. The last time I bought a mattress I transferred my hips onto it in the store to try it's firmness--not bad, so I bought it and had it delivered to my house. Slept on it and woke up feeling pain-free. However, transferring out of it was a nightmare. I had to keep trading-out the frame. My mattress is now starting to develop those little "dips" in them. I need to have it flipped and turned. The last and only time that I had it flipped resulted in a tougher transfer for a few days [my body had acclimated to the little dip in the bed].

I am thinking that my next bed may be similar to a waterbed platform frame on small legs with a firm mattress. The small legs to allow a hoyer lift if needed. My friend once had a platform bed custom-made because due to the weird dimensions of her master bedroom. I will probably need either a hoyer lift or a ceiling lift in the future, but I am not there quite yet.

I have to admit though that I am a wee fit of a fan of the head-foot up-and-down beds, as I often get tremendous amounts of swelling in my lower extemities especially if I am constipated or battling an infection. But I have never in 30 years been able to get out of a hospital bed on my own. I planning on struggling with my transfers for a few more years if my body will allow. I have made several adaptations to my home in the last 5 years and am slowly acquiring ADL equipment that I have never used before (ex.- leg lifter, stick with hook to hang clothes in the closet, a grabber).

IMHO I think the visiting nurse needs to adapt. Every home he goes into requires him to adapt to his patient's needs. Your home should meet your needs not his. If he needs a high-low bed he needs to change jobs (eg. nursing homes, respite, hospitals).

After looking at mattresses for 3 years, I finally made the decision and went with a MountainAir from Denver Mattress. It's similar to Comfort Select but not as expensive, and actually the one we got was a model without any pillow top or added foam. We have it on a regular metal bed frame with casters, used the low profile (5 inch high) box springs, and the total height of the bed is 21". Don had just come home from spending a little over a month in the hospital and then in rehab hospital and he said it is really comfortable. He has a button on his control that he can push to instantly fully inflate it, which makes it easier to transfer on and off. Then he can push another button to recall his softness setting to sleep. We might add a memory foam topper, but the difference between this bed and the one with a pillow top was around $600, and we can easily add more softness on top for that price! In looking at interspring mattresses, everyone who rates mattresses says it's common for pillow tops to get 1 1/2 to 2" deep depressions where they sleep. The only thing you can do is have the mattress rotated, not flipped to help. I'm my husbands caregiver, and I know the low bed problem, but I'm going to get a stool similar to a doctors to sit on when I wash and care for him. Hope you find something you like.

i like the hospital bed, plus i use the bars to climb up and down the flower to crawl around.
    c6/7 incomplete 6/30/07

whats that smell? its me, cause im the shit.

если я сейчас умру то нахуй я родился

Got a oversized twin hospital bed with HL, feet head up down. Caregivers use hl a lot..great back saver. Soon to transition to queen bed with electric underneath for head and feet. Not sure if will be too high to transfer.

The hill-rom hospital bed frame is the best, it has extreme high/low. The looks arent bad and being able to switch between manual/powered chair is easy breezy beautiful cover girl.