Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grand Canyon park

Grand Canyon park

I am still working on my summer vacation. We are looking into Vegas with a couple of days in between to go to Grand Canyon Park. I haven´t been there since I was a kid and way before my accident. How is the park as far as accessibility? Where should we stay? Is one night enough? Should we stay inside the park (limited choices, hotels are booked) or outside the park. Any tips for my kids?
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

I assume you are going to the South Rim? It takes nearly a day to drive from the South Rim to the North Rim, so you really cannot do both in even 1-2 days.

Inside the park you are pretty limited in places to stay unless you are camping or driving an RV. I know that El Tovar was recently renovated, so they may now have accessible rooms. You should call them as it does not indicate this on their website. I don't think Bright Angel is at all accessible as it is quite old. According to the in-park accomodations website, there are accessible rooms in the following lodges only:

Kachina Lodge
    Thunderbird Lodge
    Maswik Lodge
    Yavapai Lodge

Flagstaff is the closest city, and has a lot of motels and hotels, but is about an 1.5 hour drive from the South Rim.

Here is a listing from the park of other nearby lodging, which is likely to have some accessible rooms, depending on the features you require.

Keep in mind this is high desert. In the summer it can be VERY HOT! My favorite time to visit is either November or April. It is also much more crowded in the summer.

If you have a handicapped parking placard you can get a permit at the entrance gate to drive on many of the roads that are closed to regular vehicles (and only available to shuttle buses). The Mather Point Shuttle Bus is also accessible.

Here is a map that shows the shuttle routes and the main part of the South Rim:
    http://www.nps.gov/grca/parknews/upl...ransit-map.pdf

(KLD)

my friend, kimberly who died, wanted to take her daughter to the grand canyon. it was our last trip. we stayed at the Grand Hotel just outside south rim. it was fantastic.

http://www.grandcanyongrandhotel.com/

you can drive in, take bus tour or just look. within easy walking distance from the grand hotel is everything you need, plus at the hotel is a full service restaurant/bar, native dancing, gift shop, pool and original artists. it was a great trip. we even ate rattlesnake

the helicopter tour is great.

btw, the north rim is much more isolated. i wouldn't suggest it.

las vegas will be HOT. we also stopped at Lake Havasu. i about died. the canyon was cooler in comparison (over 105 at havasu and vegas in july, 2004). i had to put socks on my hands to drive and my van overheated at times, even with air off. be sure to have a water spray bottle.

there's also a fun train trip from a town not far from the Grand Hotel....forget its name but you drive thru it on the way.
    Last edited by cass; 05-22-2009 at 02:46 AM.

Been wanting to do that for years! My time in Santa Fe makes me underline the water mister suggestion. Also hats, fans, ice and cell phones in case (God forbid) you break down. The desert takes no prisoners.

When I go, I'm doing the helicopter and the bus, I think, although the train would be worth checking into. It sucks to be driving when you want to be gawking...

Keep the spray bottle on your chair at all times. I keep one eye my chair just in case I get stuck outside for any reason. You overheat quickly in Arizona without being able to sweat and and spray bottle will help you just a little bit when necessary
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

i live in Flagstaff. we are 75mi. S. of the canyon. there are probally a million hotels here. tourist #'s are down, so getting a room should be easy this year. also look for rooms in tusayan, which is immediately outside the park to the S. the old hotels in the park are most likely a no-go for chairs.........tiny doors, ect. from el tovar there is a paved "trail" going east for quite some distance along rim drive that would be *sweet* in a chair. the N. rim is much more remote in every way, and a day long drive from the S. rim. for a cool day trip there are day floats from Page, az to Lee's ferry with pick up in busses. very pretty, look at my thread about fishing & kayaking the colorado. might be worth a call @ bus accessability. you can PM me if you have some detailed Q's. i get to raft the entire canyon on a private rowing trip on oct. 29th for 16 days! Steve.

I was looking at the Tusayan alternative and it seems like the way to go, more modern and accessible. There even appears to be an Imax theater nearby. I was concerned about the heat but it seems I underestimated it. Rafting may be a bit too much. I will leave the thrill seeking for Vegas. I just want to take in the views and some trails with my kids. For us, from far away, this may be a once or twice in a lifetime experience.

that raft trip i linked to is all flat water - they would likely toss you & your chair right in - they are 33' snout rigs. it's nice to get off the paved world & get a feel & a smell of a place. crossing the street in Vegas would be 1000 times more dangerous then the float. just sayin'. Steve.

It looks really fun. Not sure yet what we will do but will definitely consider it. I am a bit concerned about such a long tour under the sun far away from evertything, not the danger of the tour per se. We´ll see, looks like fun, but 105 degrees is scary. Tks.

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    that raft trip i linked to is all flat water - they would likely toss you & your chair right in - they are 33' snout rigs. it's nice to get off the paved world & get a feel & a smell of a place. crossing the street in Vegas would be 1000 times more dangerous then the float. just sayin'. Steve.