Thread: ADAPT's MiCASSA Bill (medicaid & home-care)

ADAPT's MiCASSA Bill (medicaid & home-care)

Here's a site I recieved from a fellow SCI working hard to aid our causes. This organization's goal is to offer the disabled community an alternative to nursing homes and etc funded by Medicaid. TN recently began offering more availability to in-home care possibly in-part due to this organization. Check them and their efforts out, and if you can offer support in any form I'm sure it'd be appreciated.
    Tim

www.adapt.org

Upsy-Daisy... Bump

Tim, I may be wrong but I thought the waiver iniative in Tennessee was specifically for individuals who were developmentally delayed. Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks, Karen

Originally posted by TimN:

Here's a site I recieved from a fellow SCI working hard to aid our causes. This organization's goal is to offer the disabled community an alternative to nursing homes and etc funded by Medicaid. TN recently began offering more availability to in-home care possibly in-part due to this organization. Check them and their efforts out, and if you can offer support in any form I'm sure it'd be appreciated.
    Tim

http://www.adapt.org

I must confess I'm not certain on any specifics. I simply know that not long ago I recieved a letter stating that BlueCare (Medicaid) would now pay for in home caregivers. I'm sorry to say that's about all I know for now, but I'll try to look into it more for both you and myself. I'm very comfortable with my current conditions thus the lack of more information, but I should and plan to check into it more even under my circumstances.
    Tim

ADAPT's Spring Action is just around the corner!
    March 20 - 25, 2004
    ADAPT will return to Washington DC to continue our focus on
    MiCASSA,
    Money Following the Person and
    REAL CHOICE.

Senators Harkin, Specter and Smith have called for hearings
    ADAPT is calling for action!

No More Stolen Lives

We need you there with us! for room information contact Tisha at 303/733-9324
    Email Tisha

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Want to send a personal message to
    President Bush and Congressional leaders?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JOIN ADAPT IN WASHINGTON DC
    MAY 10 - 15, 2003

Join our call to Support Real People, Real Voices, Real Choices!

(To Reserve Your Room Call Tisha 303/733-9324)

A little background ...
    STOLEN LIVES: Real People, Real Voices, Real Choices!

ADAPT and other disability rights activists will be gathering in Washington, DC, Saturday, May 10th through Thursday May 15th, 2003.

To put a human face on the need to reform the institutionally biased long term care system we are collecting the pictures and stories of people who have been unnecessarily institutionalized in nursing homes and other institutions. We want people from every state in the country to be represented!

We will be making a "human collage" and will demand a formal apology from President Bush and the leadership of Congress for the policies that resulted in a portion of these people's lives to be stolen. We will also be calling for the President and Congress to support passage of MiCASSA.

We encourage every person who has been in a nursing home or other institution to join us in Washington, DC, May 10th-15th, 2003.

Even if you can't come in person, please send us your picture and a short summary of how your life has changed since leaving the institution.

CLICK HERE TO GET TO ADAPT FORM TO SUBMIT YOUR SUMMARY.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

http://www.adapt.org/bulletin.htm

"Together we stand, divided we fall..."

Tim, When I read your comment that you rec'd something from BlueCare I realized that we rec'd something from TennCare along the same line. At the time I thought yes and how do you push the system to do that. We have had to fight for absolutely everything rec'd through TennCare because we have primary insurance. Of course the primary coverage doesn't cover many things that TennCare covers thus TennCare helps. Not long ago I learned that everything approved for last year has not been paid because they are wanting the EOB's from primary insurance. Yet before nursing & supplies were approved by TennCare the documentation was obtained that showed denial through our primary insurance (Cigna). We are now going around in circles. This also happened the year before.

Today I rec'd an email relating of interest regarding assistance in Tennessee:

The Arc of Tennessee through a Grant with the Tennessee Bureau of Tenncare called Personal Assistance Supports and Services (PASS) is seeking dynamic people to help make a visionary project extremely successful for people with disabilities in Tennessee. This project is directed to assist people with disabilities in hiring and supervising their own personal assistants in the Mid Cumberland Region of our state.

People hired in this project will be responsible for assuring that all outcomes identified within the PASS grant project of The Arc of Tennessee meet the standards established by TennCare, and are delivered within our approved budget. In conjunction with the TennCare Project Coordinator, the Project Oversight Committee, and the MultiAgency Coordinating Council, interacts with staff to insure that assigned functions are accomplished within given timeframes. The project director acts as the chief liaison between TennCare (Grantor) and staff of The Arc of Tennessee (Grantee).

I plan to learn more about this and may possibly even apply. The money they have assigned for the position does not parallel what I can make but the job is in an area of passionate interest.

Karen

Originally posted by TimN:

I must confess I'm not certain on any specifics. I simply know that not long ago I recieved a letter stating that BlueCare (Medicaid) would now pay for in home caregivers. I'm sorry to say that's about all I know for now, but I'll try to look into it more for both you and myself. I'm very comfortable with my current conditions thus the lack of more information, but I should and plan to check into it more even under my circumstances.
    Tim

Karen,
    I'm sorry to hear of your situation and only hope it improves. I still haven't did as I said and researched more for you, but I hope to some today. I'm soon moving into my house so I need to learn more of my options also. Unfortunately the completing and moving part's taking too much of my time, but soon will be over. Anyway, I promise I'll also look into things and pass on anything I find. As for your info, does that mean you'd be his caregiver and get paid for it or am I terribly confused?
    Tim

I was referring to the possibility of trying to become part of the action to address a personal care assistance program in Tennessee. I have no idea how they envision the program working. As for being my son's personal care assistant, I am and will continue to be his assistant when he needs me because he has a no show or problems. But frankly since seeing him step out on his own, I think it is in his best interest that his personal care assistant be someone not dear and close to him. Good luck with the house. I understand. Karen