Thread: Mortgage Assistance

Mortgage Assistance

I am thinking that this question has been posted before but I live in IL and looking into buying a condo. Is there any type of assistance program out there for people with disabilities?

Thank You
    JJ

Have you contacted your local CIL?
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

We too are in IL, most of the programs for assistance are for veterans. We get a real estate tax break since David is disabled but thats it. Most of the programs have been temporarily suspended (cancelled) since that state of IL is broke...check out HUD, IL Dept. of Housing, local county, and cities for more info.

Cool

I am a Veteran, I am a T-10 complete injury, I live in IL too... IL is flat broke. I have had zero luck with any help in anything from the state of IL. I'm not looking for any handouts but assistance in just some pretty basic things would be nice. IL caters to the elderly but when it comes to those who are under the age of 65... you can forget it. I think it is good that they cater to the elderly but those who are in the chair have special needs as well that they just don't seem to realize.

The only thing the VA will do for me is pay for a ramp, limited to a certain amount, and pay a very small amount toward hand controls. A lot of red tape to go through to get it.

Good luck with HUD, I could never get much help from them, I tried LINC too... No help there either.

If you find out anything be sure and let us know... I'll do the same. I have been on this for a couple of years now and still no luck.
    "Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost." ~ Acts 2:38

Endtime Ministries

Top, are you working? Have you seen a DOR counselor?

I assume your military duty was not during war-time, and that you are not service connected, so you are not getting a pension. You may still be eligible for a VA home loan though.

For those eligible, you might look into Habitat for Humanity. They will make one of their houses accessible for you if you qualify for the program. Of course I have been arguing with them for years that ALL of their houses should really be designed as visitable/accessible from the get-go (and won't donate to them until they do that).

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    For those eligible, you might look into Habitat for Humanity. They will make one of their houses accessible for you if you qualify for the program. Of course I have been arguing with them for years that ALL of their houses should really be designed as visitable/accessible from the get-go (and won't donate to them until they do that).

(KLD)
    That is a great Point! Truley unbeleivable that you would have to argue that point! Universal design should be the logical only option for new construction.
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

TOP - if you already own your own home (or are buying) you can get a tax break on your real estate taxes. They finally just approved it for the disabled, but it has been in motion for Vets for several years now. Sorry to hear your having trouble too, we are always asked, "is he a Vet" I say no and they say ohhh sorry.." so I just assummed Vets had better assistance. My assumption was wrong.