Page 96 of 106 FirstFirst ... 468687888990919293949596979899100101102103104105 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm tired of this #$%&-ing pain!!!!

It isn't courage, Cowboys Place, we just don't know any better! I've tried so many different kinds of meds that I've lost track.......but you talk about being depressed, and the Cymbalta was suppose to help with that, I think. So if this duloxetine is a generic, it might not hurt to give it a try. I gave Cymbalta a try, but it did nothing for me, I've also read many times where it did help someone. You just never know until you try it. You say you just go to a regular small town doctor, I tried that route, neurologists, physiatrists, and finally my neuro surgeon sent me to a friend of his running a pain clinic. That was the best fit for me, maybe it's time to try someone else.......There are so many meds, different doses, and you never know for sure which cocktail will be the best fit for you until you try. I do know from experience just how hard it is to go on this quest, and how easy it is to give up. All I can say is keep trying and hang in there.

I think ALOT if you guys just THINK you are in pain cause the meds are telling your brain that its time to take a pill. MAybe not maybe so. I am fortunate & dont deal with pain. I do notice though that if I take a vicodin or 3 in a day than the next day I hurt right away, maybe a coincidence maybe not. WHen I am lucky enough & dont have pain for a few days striaght & dont take any pain meds then I usaully go days without it. LIke I say maybe I am just lucky & dont have much pain but I bet alot of yours guys pain comes from your minds needing drugs

Quote Originally Posted by allenstevens View Post
    I think ALOT if you guys just THINK you are in pain cause the meds are telling your brain that its time to take a pill. MAybe not maybe so. I am fortunate & dont deal with pain. I do notice though that if I take a vicodin or 3 in a day than the next day I hurt right away, maybe a coincidence maybe not. WHen I am lucky enough & dont have pain for a few days striaght & dont take any pain meds then I usaully go days without it. LIke I say maybe I am just lucky & dont have much pain but I bet alot of yours guys pain comes from your minds needing drugs
    You got one thing right. My Mind tells me my left leg is on fire, I have electricity bolts running from my balls to my right arm pit, oh and I have a Boa Constrictor with ice picks strapped to him wrapped around my trunk at T8. When I get nervous or stressed all this is X's 100 plus my right leg goes Clonus shaking bonkers. Yea I need some drugs to shut this part of my mind off. That is the real issue, how to control and not be in a dream land.
    I am 3 1/2 years out and have really tried to go easy on the meds so I could maybe tell if I was getting more return. Did it work? I don't know and would not tell anyone it is the way to go. I can tell you it sucks bad and I think it has fucked up the way other parts of my body interpret pain. Above my injury is very sensitive to pain and over reacts so bad and for longer than it should. I don't understand it and it turns me into a wounded animal when it happens. I am setting up an appointment with my doc to talk about pain, cant keep this up, need to take some edge off if I can.
    T8 incomplete with complete Pain.

I'm so glad you are lucky enough not to experience the type of pain that most people posting on this thread have to live with 24/7 with little or no relief. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy and lord knows how I wish it was JUST MY MIND telling me I need to take another pill. I spent 25 years with SCI and not needing to take a pain pill however the last five years have been like living in hell. So what happened did my mind decide that living as a quadriplegic having someone stick their finger up my ass three days a week or sticking a tube into my bladder wasn't fun enough?

So no it's not just my mind telling me I'm in pain just so I can take another pill however my pain is telling my mind don't take just one take the whole fucking bottle and get this over with that's something I struggle with EVERY DAY!
    Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. .(John Wayne)

Allen at the risk of being rude FUCK YOU your post is the equivalent of telling paras they're in chairs cause they're too lazy to walk. your post is offensive

ket
    Last edited by ketamine kitty; 02-22-2014 at 08:24 AM. Reason: omission

Sorry, I was not trying to be offensive. I have a buddy right now that says his back hurts so bad he cant work , hes 30. Without his pain meds he doesnt wake up until 2:00 in the afternoon. With his meds he is up & ready to go fishing or hunting or whatever at 8:00 in the morning. My post was just an opinion so sorry if you take it offensive. Like I say I am fortunate enough to not have the pain you all speak of so I am not sure my theory is correct. Hope you all find something to help yas, good luck in your search.

Now I know why I want someone to stick me in a guillotine and cut my head and neck off - to cut off my mind! Plus, I'd then be easy to transport in a bowling bag with clear plastic front (so I could see), so no need for handicapped parking. No more bowel and bladder issues.

Cowboy's Place, you sound exactly like me. Same nightly desire to not wake up, same thought of a hit man.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Allen, I'm not sure I'd want to go the way of the guillotine, I'd much rather have a big Breasted nurse stick a needle in one of my veins and slip away peacefully :-)
    Then if they want they can use my body as a science project. I think you and I have talked before and have a lot of the same pain trouble, currently the burning, stabbing, cramping pain in my abdomen is the one that has me talking to the walls.
    What's bad is as much as it hurts while I'm sitting up in my chair it gets even worse when I go to bed.

PS didn't win the Lotto so I won't be hiring a hit man anytime soon unless there's one who works really cheap.

allen stevens

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
    - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio

Think of all the different types of pain, dull, shooting burning, stabbing, tearing, etc. Now think of the sensation where all these pains are combined. When you think of this bizarre mix, you are getting close to the central pain sensation.

If you wish to experience the burning, you can inject capsaicin subcutaneously, which lights up the ion channels which are thought to be involved in Central Pain. This burning will be in one small area and will be a pure burn, whereas in Central Pain it is a dirty messy confused agony with a lot of other pains thrown in. Still, the capsaicin experience informs people there is something new in the world. When they feel the odd pain, researchers have an eye opening epiphany, which says "That's odd. Wow. That hurts". This being said with regard to the one little tiny burning area on their arm. Then, if they have an imagination, they think "OOH, I certainly would not want that over a large area of my body".

When you indicate some fatigue at listening to those here who "whine", and are "drug seekers" you must allow for the possibility that some of them are not whiners at all. If they have had surgery to try to get rid of their central pain, does that mean they just like to lie down on gurneys and wake up with post surgical pain? Are these people who cannot work who cannot wear clothing, who wish only to sleep without the sheets burning them really just malingerers? You must not have a brittle mind, but stretch your mind a bit and not let it fly to pieces like glass when someone's complaint seems to trivialize your own significant pain which you must exert effort mentally to overcome.

Just as you get off track by thinking your experience encompasses everyone else's experience, I do not want to assume things about you. However, I am not assuming to conclude you do not have central pain, since you have nowhere described the symptoms of
    CP in your own pain. A CP sufferer would be ecstatic to have three days of no pain. They would think they had died and gone to heaven. The three best days of their lives.

Central Pain has both constant and intermittent pains. The constant pain is described as "like acid under the skin". It is therefore dysesthetic, which means it is not really pain as normal people use the term, but some other terrible physicial discomfort. Riddoch called it "a pain beyond pain".

The distribution of this dysesthetic burning increases as one goes distally (further out) along the course of a nerve, making the burning grow much worse at the ends of things, such as legs, arms, face, genitals, rectum etc. There is also the potential for exacerbation, which is called evoking the pain. This evocation occurs with blasts of cold air, light touch, and other innocuous stimuli. The dysesthesia can be reproduced in lab animals by presensitizing with erythrocin B and then causing laser injury to the cord. The rats then chew their legs off in an attempt to get rid of the distal pain.

The distribution of the central pains is BELOW and AT the level of cord injury, AT LEVEL pain is typically peripheral nerve injury pain. If the injury is high in the cord, at or above C5, there is a possibility that it has also injured the descending tract of Cranial nerve 5 (the trigeminal nerve). Descending tract injury in the neck catches this loop of the pain nerve of the face as it descends into the cord to meet up with body pain nerves at the substantia gelatinosa, and then ascends into the brain, taking burning pain up to the face.

Thus, it is possible to have complete total body burning with a neck injury. Is anything worse than this? Would such a person not be justified to long for a little relief, if opiates could provide it. What are opiates for? A person would be crazy NOT to seek drugs if the CP could be alleviated.

I should note here that opiates are often ineffective with central pain, so most of us do not have to worry about becoming opiate addicts for that, although we may so far as opiates help the musculoskeletal pain that comes from disordering of the motion segments of the spine (the articulating joints), which occurs from injury or surgery or both. I would not begrudge a patient whose opiates merely give them a little peace of mind, if that makes their burning a little easier to bear. For myself, opiates are nauseating, and the pain is still there.

There are often other central pains, such as the lightning pains which are also found in neurosyphilis which damages the long tracts of the posterior cord. Visceral phenomena, such as burning with bladder filling, are also very common. Many CP patients also have sympathetically maintained components to the pain.

Central Pain patients also commonly have burning pain in their muscles which is made worse by loading on the muscle. This muscle pain is NOT the same thing as the muscle pain from alteration of anatomy of the motion segments (vertebrae, articulation joints, ligaments, muscles etc) of the spine, often termed C1, L4, or whatever. CP muscle pain is sometimes called kinesthetic dysesthesia. This is NOT the same things as the "muscle pain" which comes from altered motion segements, but from some disorder in the pain nerves themselves. There are reports of patients who are paralyzed by CP muscle pain even though they have an intact motor unit.

CP also causes a loss in the sense of the topography of body surface. The toes of a foot may seem one unit. Bones may feel as if they are positioned where they should not be with respect to the skin. No more topographic ability. Legs may feel more like balloons. One cannot tell precisely where the skin surface is even as they speak of pain under the skin.

The above things are not the same thing as the AD symptoms of SCI.

The SCI patient nearly always has alteration of the motion segments of the spine due to injury or surgery. This can be very painful and fortunately can respond to opiates.

I do not desire opiates since none of them work. If they did, I would desire them greatly.

Your comment is indicative of the public's attitude toward chronic pain. especially low back pain. However, it is not the enlightened view of Central Pain. Central Pain is the worst pain state known to man, according to Ron Tasker, a leading neurosurgeon who is famous for discovering that a) nerve injury pain is NOT the same thing as normal pain; and b) pain travels in the spinothalamic tract.

There is no one more ferocious than a convert. If you become converted to the idea that Central pain exists outside the other post SCI pains, (which can be considerable, not to mention the paralysis) you will become one of our greatest advocates. I hope this will be the case.
    Last edited by dejerine; 02-24-2014 at 02:37 AM.

dejerine, thank you for that post that description is exactly how my pain feels, I wish I had the ability to describe it the way that article does. I'm slowly but surely losing my ability to cope I'm unable to wrap my mind around what's happening to my body.