Page 51 of 106 FirstFirst ... 414243444546474849505152535455565758596061101 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm tired of this #$%&-ing pain!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by diddlindoug View Post
    Of course we will all have days in which we say to ourselves..."I can't do it no more"...and no little set of words of wisdom are really gonna get through and overcome our emotional and physical pain. But, we keep going. pushing forward, onward. we have a destiny somewhere out there, just like we did before our injury. And think really hard about what benefits you have acquired since your accident/illness...are you more compassionate? loving? understanding? certainly, there is a new trait you have acquired that adds to your personality and makes you a better person.

And, if ya wanna scream, cuss, fight, flip people off or even run 'em over with your chair, it is fine too. And my biggest helper in life these days is humor. You have to learn to laugh at yourself (and others too) otherwise you will take it too seriously in your head and it will explode.
    Great Quote!! Thanks for sharing!!!!

And so we finally discuss the reason I started this thread back when I did. To have a good safe place to come say F@&K IT on those days, without the usual judgement that comes from those that have NO IDEA of what it is like to live with CHRONIC PAIN!!!!

Thanks also Arn for the affirmation!
    L1 Complete - Injury 3/12/06 - Grateful to be alive!!!!

I don't have a traumatic SCI and I have mobility. But I have an atraumatic SCI from a virus that caused extreme swelling the full length of the C and T sections. Because it took so long to diagnose and get steroid treatment, there was sensory nerve damage. I now have neuropathic pain on the entire left half of my body below armpit level, with every symptom that has been mentioned on this forum. The worst is the burning, stabbing, and repetitive electric shock pain in my left arm, but the allodynia is no picnic either. This began a year and a half ago. Gabapentin has helped take the edge off it some times, but not at others. I'm at maximum dosage already so I don't know what I'll be able to do next.

What has kept me going is the others on this forum. Until I found the forum and read the stories and comments, I felt very alone. My family and friends may sympathize but they don't really understand. And I know they get tired if I talk about it too much. I have so many questions and my neurologist isn't even able to answer them. One has to live through this to truly empathize. When I get into a panic that I can't handle this pain, what makes it bearable is knowing there are others who have it, understand it, and somehow push through it.

screaming, lately, has been hard on me and my son. not that i'm not still doing it, but it makes pain worse. this just sux and i have no answer. i hate this and have taken to bed w/books cause i hurt so bad.

I wish there were no need for this thread.... but I am glad it is here.

Welcome KYLady. Sorry you are hurting. I understand what you are talking about!!! My concern is that your neuro guy doesn't understand your pain. Think you might need to get a second opinion?

Thanks for the thoughts.

Grange, great wisdom. I'm convinced attitude is everything too. So I'll just continue to take time to cry, scream or bitch then put my smile back on & continue. I already know focusing on the negative gets me nowhere but more hurt. I refuse a negative life. I may break but I'll never fall into that again! Life is too short & still good.

On an epi of Doctors the other day, they showed an experiment where people that cuss, handle pain better. I guess I'd be really bad off if I refrained from my vulgarity.

Quote Originally Posted by quad79 View Post
    On an epi of Doctors the other day, they showed an experiment where people that cuss, handle pain better. I guess I'd be really bad off if I refrained from my vulgarity.
    Let 'em fly like a sailor Q79!!!!!!!

Does swearing help?

Quote Originally Posted by quad79 View Post
    Thanks for the thoughts.

I swear on a frequent and very vulgar level when frustrated with various things that happen. (Stubbing toe on sharp bed lock thingie, getting bleach on new PJs,dropping an open bottle of pills...you get the idea.)
    I was telling my visiting aunt that swear quite a bit, she probably asked how I cope or something.
    Her new husband-a pastor with no sense of humor snidely asked if it helped....meaning swearing does not help.
    My answer was "damn right."
    My poor Mom was so embarrassed.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
    I swear on a frequent and very vulgar level when frustrated with various things that happen. (Stubbing toe on sharp bed lock thingie, getting bleach on new PJs,dropping an open bottle of pills...you get the idea.)
    I was telling my visiting aunt that swear quite a bit, she probably asked how I cope or something.
    Her new husband-a pastor with no sense of humor snidely asked if it helped....meaning swearing does not help.
    My answer was "damn right."
    My poor Mom was so embarrassed.
    Funny. My f's fly from the time I get up! When I'm really pissed(like dropping my reacher after needing & trying to pick up something for 15 min), I use GD. Then I quickly apologize to God. I've always had a potty mouth but my vocabulary really expanded with paralysis. We should get a free pass, it does help!

Quote Originally Posted by diddlindoug View Post
    PAIN...well I will agree that attitude has A LOT to do with handling the whole sci thing. Here is what I read at least once a day...and it really does put things into perspective when you start living it too!. Here it is...

"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important that the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness, or skill. It will make or break a company...a church...a home. the remarkable thing is that we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will have for that day. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude...I am convinced that life is 10% of what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you...we are in charge of our attitudes" (Swindoll, Charles date unknown).

Of course we will all have days in which we say to ourselves..."I can't do it no more"...and no little set of words of wisdom are really gonna get through and overcome our emotional and physical pain. But, we keep going. pushing forward, onward. we have a destiny somewhere out there, just like we did before our injury. And think really hard about what benefits you have acquired since your accident/illness...are you more compassionate? loving? understanding? certainly, there is a new trait you have acquired that adds to your personality and makes you a better person.

And, if ya wanna scream, cuss, fight, flip people off or even run 'em over with your chair, it is fine too. And my biggest helper in life these days is humor. You have to learn to laugh at yourself (and others too) otherwise you will take it too seriously in your head and it will explode.
    Great quote.

Humor though..what would I do without it? I honestly make a point to laugh @ just about everything these days. It isn't in anyway denial, like my first year or so of sci though. I've just learned that I can't do a damn thing about any of it. I'd rather others to laugh with me about this crap than to feel sorry for me too...and they do.