Page 75 of 106 FirstFirst ... 25656667686970717273747576777879808182838485 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm tired of this #$%&-ing pain!!!!

If JC's lesion were C4/5 - he my not be able to do dental surgery with bilateral upper extremity motor involvement. I would't want him yanking my molars with weak spastic quad arms and hands!

JC - It is impressive that you can 'mind over matter' ignore the severe burning to the point that you would operate on someone who is putting their trust in you. Bravo to you. I have only recently returned to work but not in patient care but only chart review. When the burning becomes too distracting, I can stop working at any time.

If I were to stop medication I would be on the floor feeling like some one put my legs in electric sockets and would have someone driving a dry 2 by 4 up my rear end with a sledge hammer. I could not do, say, microsurgery on the ear rebuilding eardrums and ossicles.

I am impressed by your ability to just stop all medication and carry on with surgery. Any further advice you could give on how you did that would be appreciated. What about when you come home from work? How is it falling asleep? Do you feel the neuropathic pain at the end of the day once there is no more distraction or stimulation?

I never know whether to be amazed or angry when someone says, I just stopped taking my pain meds, and went on with my life! I can't help but wonder what level of pain they're dealing with...... I did without pain meds for a very long time, until sitting in a chair crying most of the time was about all I could do. I've been going to a pain clinic now for two years, and they can't give me my life back.

If there's a trick I don't know about, I would like to know what it is! Mind over matter does'nt work for me anymore, and has'nt for a very long time. I'm afraid pain has taken control most of the time.

I think much of I gave up my meds and function normally is B.S. I thinks it should be weighed in the process that pain is reltive and not measurable. I have a friend who thinks the have a bad back ans takes days off for it, but wouod handily go shopping in NYC.

Also the side effect of pain meds is the need and reduced efficacy and larger doses needed have a friend who had major pain issues taking massive drugs, detoxed and the pain is basically gone.

who can say? I gave up the meds as they didn't do shit and barely hang on.

whatever, unfortunately I lump these into the take 100-mg of vitamin kiss my arse and you will be well.

JC if you are doing well God Bless but I won't drink your kool aide.

ungraciously

ket
    Kindly,

The Ketamine Kitty

All the tears, all the pain, all the rage through the night (apolgies to the rewrite) RR

Next time I die make sure I'm gone,
    don't leave 'em nothing to work on JT

And I ain't nothin but a dream JM

@arndog -- you, sir, are the most gracious person I've known in a very long time.

@smokey, when I hear people say ''I stopped taking my pain meds -- I just muster up my courage and don't even think about the pain...i am always busy and i try to keep my mind active'' I get angry.

Yes, it's great they're able to do that. But the message I hear behind the words is ''those who take pain meds lack the courage to face their pain...if they were just brave and kept busy like me, they wouldn't need to take pain medication either.''

It's the same old ''mind/body'' BS we hear all the time.

It does take courage to face pain without taking pain meds. But it's all relative. To the person whose worst experience with pain has been a paper cut, it takes a hell of a lot of courage to deal with a dislocated shoulder without pain meds but it can be done. By keeping busy enough and distracting yourself from the throbbing ache in your shoulder, you can ''tough it out'' and make it without the Vicodin others are using.

But show me someone besides a Buddhist monk who believes all of life is suffering and has devoted his entire life to training his mind to cope with whatever suffering he must endure who can ''muster up his courage and keep his mind busy enough'' to face the pain at a level comparable to having the dead tissue from third degree burns covering their lower body vigorously scrubbed off with stiff bristled brushes every minute of every day without pain medication.

If you can make it without pain medication, more power to you. But before you act on the urge to tell others that coping with pain without the aid of medication is just a matter of having enough courage and keeping busy, take a minute to consider that the people you're talking to might be having their skin scrubbed off with stiff bristled brushes. If you could face that day in and day out for weeks/months/years without meds, go ahead and spread the gospel of courage. Otherwise, either use your voice to tell them you feel for them or stfu.

My two cents.

@ket kit -- Love you.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Hip Crip, you said it much clearer than I was able to......and you're right, whether they mean to or not, it is that unspoken.....if you would just toughen up and keep busy theory that drives me up the wall!

God bless those who can do without the meds.....and even more, those who the meds don't help at all. No one hates this medication more than I do! It's a trade off, and I don't like it! Especially since it does'nt even work well. But without it.....I'm done. Stick a fork in it, finished! Many of us don't even know what to do anymore.

The recent cold front has made me scream between the muscular skeletol, the CP and the spasticity/spasmy pain. I just wish I could hibernate & not feel a thing until spring is really back. Oh wait a minute, I hurt then too!! just not as bad. I never thought I'd miss my hell fire feet but I hate these freezing icesicles worse!

Crazy weather torturing me too. If a t-storm rolls through in the early morning hours I'm guaranteed to have a day full of searing legs and bone-crushing back spasms. And I'll have to sit at work and try to keep it together while everyone around me bitches about their little allergy problems and achey backs ("I must be a 10+ today ha ha!"). All I can do is come home, lie down, put in some earplugs and put a pillow over my head, and try to leave the pain behind mentally.

I'm so tired.

No sleep again because I spent last night screaming, crying, questioning why I had to hurt so bad all the time, and pleading for even a moment of respite from the never-ending pain and the violent spasms that make my right arm and hand slam against the bed over and over and over and over again all night, leaving the exhausted bicep and deltoid aching and in knots.

I'm so damn tired.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Well it is once again time to say FUCK!!! The fires are burning tonight my friends!!!! This too shall pass!!! This too shall pass!!! This too shall pass!!! This too shall pass!!! This too shall pass!!! This too shall pass!!! This too shall pass!!! This too shall pass!!! This too shall pass!!! This too shall pass!!! This too shall pass!!! This too shall pass!!! This too shall pass!!! This too shall pass!!! This too shall pass!!! This too shall pass!!! This too shall pass!!! This too shall pass!!! This too shall pass!!! This too shall pass!!! This too shall pass!!! This too shall pass!!! This too shall pass!!! This too shall pass!!! This too shall pass!!! This too shall pass!!! This too shall pass!!! This too shall pass!!! This too shall pass!!! This too shall pass!!! This too shall pass!!! This too shall pass!!! This too shall pass!!! This too shall pass!!! This too shall pass!!! This too shall pass!!! This too shall pass!!! This too shall pass!!! This too shall pass!!! This too shall pass!!! This too shall pass!!! This too shall pass!!!
    L1 Complete - Injury 3/12/06 - Grateful to be alive!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lazlo View Post
    Crazy weather torturing me too. If a t-storm rolls through in the early morning hours I'm guaranteed to have a day full of searing legs and bone-crushing back spasms. And I'll have to sit at work and try to keep it together while everyone around me bitches about their little allergy problems and achey backs ("I must be a 10+ today ha ha!"). All I can do is come home, lie down, put in some earplugs and put a pillow over my head, and try to leave the pain behind mentally.

Very interesting. We had a small storm about 10:00 last night and rained quite a bit. Was not a t-storm or I did not hear any.
    My husband had one of the worst nights ever with pain and was a complete wreck this morning-he slept until 3 PM once he got to sleep.
    Once the pain starts winding up his anxiety does and an Ativan helps slightly. Before SCI he did not even know what anxiety was and barely even took Tylenol
    I wish there was a key to this.