Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rather than a cement walkway what are my options?

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    Thanks for the link Curt. Interesting website, and I'm thinking I'm going to buy some and use it to get to my backyard. I just bought a house, and the backyard is huge. I've been throwin around ideas how to traverse the small slope up to the backyard, probably a rise over run of 1 to 12 is all, for about 10 feet. The walkways on the site look like they'll do the trick. I"m wondering how solid they are.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

yup go stamped colored concrete. we just had a patio put on. we went w/ roman slate stamp. dont let someone talk u into just cast[top color], you want integral[mixed in cement] then cast. many jobs that u see that u8 think is brickwork is just stamped, much cheaper.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

ok i am cheap marine plywood painted . held in place by 12" spikes

If you didn't have so much rain, I'd suggest quarter minus... A very fine stone that compacts down as hard as concrete but looks better (imho). I did my entire back yard in it and I can roll everywhere.... Except those 30 days a year where we have rain. Then it's like quicksand.

In the places where it really matters, I have concrete or pavers.

Mistake I made when the concrete was poured was that it was during the boom and it was EXPENSIVE. So my walkways are more narrow than I am comfortable with, it's a white-knuckle adventure turning around. I was a new wheeler then and listened to peeps that didn't have a clue. So lesson learned, trust yourself.

Cool decking is used a lot here so that it doesn't burn feet or reflect as much heat back at the house but it is expensive.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

I have exposed aggregate and highly recommend it. It wears like plain concrete but the texture adds traction without making pushing difficult. The texture also adds a depth and beauty that concrete can't match, IMO

Quote Originally Posted by quadfather View Post
    I have exposed aggregate and highly recommend it. It wears like plain concrete but the texture adds traction without making pushing difficult. The texture also adds a depth and beauty that concrete can't match, IMO
    This is another great option. I have a freind just south of Pittsburgh that has the exposed agg on an entire patio. The color of the natural aggregate is fantastic in this area.

Blog Entries
    Not really House Beautiful but here is an option - A pickup load of 8"x16" concrete pavers @ 69 cents each @ Home Depot + two rolls of landscape fabric + pickup load of gravel + a couple bags o sand + 2 hungry, thirsty college students + a wee bit o beer = a reasonably chair, earth, wallet and pup friendly path.

Quote Originally Posted by webfoot View Post
    Not really House Beautiful but here is an option - A pickup load of 8"x16" concrete pavers @ 69 cents each @ Home Depot + two rolls of landscape fabric + pickup load of gravel + a couple bags o sand + 2 hungry, thirsty college students + a wee bit o beer = a reasonably chair, earth, wallet and pup friendly path.
    Good idea, looks like a very cost effective walkway. Looks like you were able to keep the cost of material and labor well under control.

I've got a couple estimate to do my paver walkway and they are talking around 3 grand. I'm waiting for a estimate in cement, the contractors around here dont even know what exposed aggregate is, lol.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Just got the estimate today to do a cement walkway, they want 1600 dollars, I guess thats not too bad considering its like 71 feet long. They are going to put in 4 inches of sand first after it is dug out and then patch up the lawn around it.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    Just got the estimate today to do a cement walkway, they want 1600 dollars, I guess thats not too bad considering its like 71 feet long. They are going to put in 4 inches of sand first after it is dug out and then patch up the lawn around it.

How wide is the walkway?
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.