Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rather than a cement walkway what are my options?

Question Rather than a cement walkway what are my options?

I need some good ideas for a pathway around the house. I don't think I want to use a cement walkway.
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

I'm not sure you can get it but crushed granite makes a real nice pathway here in my area of texas. its best if flat with little grade. The granite packs real tight and dry's quickly, but offers a cheaper option than cement. Also ground level 2x6 decks are nice too but have to cost it out...GL

Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Brick-on-sand is nice, but labor intensive. It lets water through, but you also have to keep after weeds growing between the bricks unless you set it in concrete (more expensive). You need a deeper sand layer if your ground freezes in winter too.

I am planning the crushed granite as above for my garden re-do, but I think that works better in places where the ground does not freeze. It does let water drain through though.

You may not want to rule out concrete, but instead think about aggregate (exposed rock) which makes it less slippery and more attractive, or even embossed concrete that can look like brick, slate or stone. Here is an example (not an endorsement): http://www.scofield.com/stampedconcrete_brochure.html

(KLD)

I have a cement pathway from the front yard to the back entrance. I have mine nicely landscaped.. looks nice. Just have to get creative..
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

I think they can add dyes to cement if you want a different look. I would always go with cement because it is the easiest to maintain, won't grow weeds between cracks, and won't heave if you live in an area with cold temps.

Yes, Cement may be your best bet. Funny you should post this thread, I've been looking into doing a walkway to the back of my house as I'm tired of wheeling through dirt as the grass does not grow very well in the back as I have a big tree and too much shade. Just the other day I got price of doing pavers and it the estimate was 3500 bucks for a 71 foot long walkway, thats way too much. I'm gonna have the same guy price out cement for me, I post the price here in this thread when I get that estimate. I've also thought about bluestone, I guess that is fairly inexpensive and looks kinda natural, it packs down real nice and is easy to wheel on. The other thought I had was ordering a bunch of roll out teak walkways over the net and connecting them all together and just putting them over the lawn.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

I never heard of "roll-out teak walkways". How do they work? They might be useful for doing some gardening and weeding.

Norm: If you have some money, then how about large pieces of flagstone or slate?

Quote Originally Posted by peegy p View Post
    I never heard of "roll-out teak walkways". How do they work? They might be useful for doing some gardening and weeding.

Norm: If you have some money, then how about large pieces of flagstone or slate?
    Heres the link;;;http://www.misterboardwalk.com/rolloutprice.ivnu
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Hi Norm,

Check out stanped and dyed concrete. There are a variety of patterns and several colors to choose from. This could be your best bet if you really do not want the stark grey and flat looking walkway.

Prior to my accident, I had a stackstone type stamp on tan and charcoal colored concrete placed around a swimming pool. This stuff was beautiful.

Let us know what you decide.