Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meds to avoid if wanting to become preggo...

Meds to avoid if wanting to become preggo...

Just wanting to know in advance and prepare..
    KLD,I know you just recently said that Baclofen was a no-no.Totally makes sense.I'm also going to assume that the others I take should be off limits too...

Effexor
    anti-anxiety meds
    Gabapentin
    Ultram

I wouldn't think Ditropan XL,Cranberry and Vit.C supplements should pose risks.

While Ditropan appears to be OK, high doses of vitamin C are not.

Every drug (in the USA) must have published information regarding fetal risk. Both your OB/Gyn and pharmacist should be very familiar with these databases, and should advise you on relative risks for each of the meds you are on now, or might be placed on during your pregnancy. They are categorized in relationship to the degree of risk to the fetus.

Here is a pretty good website that will provide you with some information:

http://www.safefetus.com/

(KLD)

hey Shannon, as well as drugs to avoid there is one you really want to make sure you're getting; folic acid. It's been a long while for me but I recall that many women start pre-natal vitamins pre-conception. I just saw a book by that you might be interested in... "what to Expect Before You're Expecting"
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Another book you might be interested in is called "The Disabled Woman's Guide to Pregnancy and Childbirth". I saw this on Amazon.com recently for only $1.00 for a used copy.

My gyno told me when I asked her about my medicines and how they would affect a pregnancy, she told me that if you are on any anti-convulsant (especially Tegretol and Depakote/Depakene) for either seizures or spasticity, you must take a prenatal vitamin everyday that contains lots of folic acid. These meds can increase the risk of spina bifida.
    She also told me that meds that help with bladder spasms, like Ditropan, Detrol, and Enablex, can sometimes cause low milk supply if you plan on breastfeeding. She told me that she has only seen 1 person have trouble with this while on Detrol, but wanted to let me know. She said that lowering the dose on these meds seems to help with that, along with nursing frequently and pumping afterwards.

BTW, if you plan on having a natural childbirth with little interventions, the book that JenJen suggested might not be a good one, because it is very anti-natural birth, according to my sister. She liked the books "The Pregnancy Book" and "The Birth Book" by. Dr. Bill Sears. Both books have sections that you can jot down notes and stuff in.

Hope this helps!

Jessie

Thanx Jessie.It'll be a while(unless..),just trying to get prepared.

The anti-convulsant issue scares me (ie: Neurontin). I don't know how to even start getting off these meds.
    I've tried weaning from Gabapentin before and it was a nightmare.Damn,if I were to go through withdrawels like that again,there would be no way I'd be in mood for a kid.Aaah. Plus,then there's the pain to deal with for 9 mo. I guess you just weigh the issues,huh?
    Last edited by quad79; 06-01-2009 at 04:54 PM.

A couple years ago, before my seizures came back again, my neurologist weaned me off of Tegretol, and he did is VERY SLOWLY. It took about 6 weeks before I was completely off of it.
    You might talk to your doctor and see if he/she will wean you off of the medicine at a very slow rate, so you don't get withdrawl symptoms.

I agree that withdrawl symptoms suck. When I was in the hospital in Feburary to have a feeding tube put in me, and I was not able to eat or drink or take anything by mouth or tube for 4 days, I started to get withdrawl symptoms from my seizure, spasticity, depression, and fatigue medicines. I had hallucinations, panic attacks, profuse sweating, and lightheadedness. Once I got my drug levels back up a week later, I felt better.

Jessie

I don't remember the what to expect book geing anti natural birth. I read it and had my son natural, no drugs. Although I meant to have something he just came to fast. Of course that was alomet 9 years ago. Good luck! You would be a great mommy!
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Agreed the original "what to expect when you're expecting" was def. not anti-natural. My copy is very old now since I have teenager. The new book is "what to expect BEFORE you're expecting"

Natural childbirth and high-level SCI will have to be discussed in depth since AD tends to be an issue of concern for many. Shannon will make the best decisions possible after thoughtful consideration.

After giving birth AB, I don't knock anyone's choice to use meds to manage the process. Can't imagine doing it with a pounding AD headache. I would have murdered someone for sure then. lol

Regardless, she'll be a great mom!
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

I am in a similar situation(TTC) and my GYN and Primary doc both thought it would be a good idea to stop using Detrol but I've read other woman continue using it. I don't want to take any chances and I've been off Detrol for 2 months and while I am getting better with control and time voiding I can't imagine how bad it might be when I'm actually pregnant with a baby pushing on my bladder.