Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: I just WALKED!!!!!!!

There you go Jen!

Just back from the pool and surprised to see this thread active again. I'm up to about 150 ft --- I walk toward shallow water and once it creates enough weight on my legs, I turn around and walk back. Today I stood in about 4.5 feet of water (balancing on my friend's arm) for a while. It was the straightest I'd been in the shallowest water for the longest time. I'm home tired and hungry and triumphant.

I found a Lite Gait at the adapted gym at the community college nearby. I just have to pay by the semester to use it.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by JenJen View Post
    Just back from the pool and surprised to see this thread active again. I'm up to about 150 ft --- I walk toward shallow water and once it creates enough weight on my legs, I turn around and walk back. Today I stood in about 4.5 feet of water (balancing on my friend's arm) for a while. It was the straightest I'd been in the shallowest water for the longest time. I'm home tired and hungry and triumphant.

I found a Lite Gait at the adapted gym at the community college nearby. I just have to pay by the semester to use it.
    So the water was just under your chin.
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

Way to go JenJen. Your gonna get it yet. I've had to knock off the walking for a bit, back issues. I have a disc issue. Keep up the good work,one of us has to. You look great.

QUADS!!!!!
    is that as big as the typefaces get? I want to blast it louder lol

I fired my quads today!!! I spent a lot of time "goofing off" but not really, just sitting there swinging my feet back and forth. I couldn't do it a month ago. Takes a lot of work but I can do it.

Today was my first day back in the pool in a week. My helper has been on vacay and I can't safely do this alone and I can't find someone tall enough and willing to go help.

Spent the first 10 minutes prone (using 2 kickboards to keep me up) and stretched the hip flexors. Did some core work and standing. Less walking than usual because I was getting these funky spasms that interferred with my stride. We put the knee braces on loose today and I can bend my knee a bit to pick up my leg, not just swing it like a tin soldier.

More later! I'm starving!!!!!
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Hell Yeah!

I keeps humming this tune..."Jenn's gonna be walkin' soon,Jen's gonna be walkin' soon"...

Nothing else,but that's enough.Maybe one day it'll be "Jen's gonna be poopin' soon."..no,just kidding,that would be great too.Walking is enough to put a smile on my face.I'm happy for you and proud of your accomplishments!

Great Job!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go girl....that is wonderful news. Its always lovely hearing great news on Monday!!!

I will be waiting on your call Wednesday morning.

I am really happy for you!!
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Congratulations Jen! I just found this thread. Sorry I haven't posted.
    I'm so happy for you. Keep up the good work. It must feel wonderful!!!

(((HUGS)))

This is awesome. Nothing beats that feeling. Even years later you'll find something you couldn't do. It's probably not functional return at that point, more improved technique. But still awesome!