Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: I just WALKED!!!!!!!

Talking I just WALKED!!!!!!!

I am a T-4 ASIA A, 4.5 years post injury. I started a round of PT about 2 months ago to deal with my scoliosis. In the process, we discovered that I have muscles firing below my level of injury.

We started working with abduction and adduction, then knee extension, then hip rotation - internal and external.... About a month ago, I joined a gym and started getting in the pool. A friend helped me with my exercises and we work them all regularly. A few days ago I found that I had obliques.

Yesterday, in therapy I was asking what should come next in my progression. So, today, I wrapped my knees in ace wraps to keep them from buckling, strapped 3 pound weights to my ankles to keep them from floating and tried to stand in 5' of water (I'm 5'12").

Since that was so successful, I tried to take a step. Right, Left, Right. Then I burst into tears and we cried and crowed together about doing the impossible.

After that, we worked about another 20 minutes of me getting my feet squared up and then stepping forward braced on my friend's arms. All told, I walked about 50' and plan to slowly start working toward more shallow water so that I take more weight on my legs.

My goal is to walk with KAFOs and crutches for Christmas.
    Last edited by JenJen; 05-20-2009 at 03:27 PM. Reason: fixed typo for clarity.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by JenJen View Post
    I am a T-4 ASIA A, 4.5 post injury. I started a round of PT about 2 months ago to deal with my scoliosis. In the process, we discovered that I have muscles firing below my level of injury.

We started working with abduction and adduction, then knee extension, then hip rotation - internal and external.... About a month ago, I joined a gym and started getting in the pool. A friend helped me with my exercises and we work them all regularly. A few days ago I found that I had obliques.

Yesterday, in therapy I was asking what should come next in my progression. So, today, I wrapped my knees in ace wraps to keep them from buckling, strapped 3 pound weights to my ankles to keep them from floating and tried to stand in 5' of water (I'm 5'12").

Since that was so successful, I tried to take a step. Right, Left, Right. Then I burst into tears and we cried and crowed together about doing the impossible.

After that, we worked about another 20 minutes of me getting my feet squared up and then stepping forward braced on my friend's arms. All told, I walked about 50' and plan to slowly start working toward more shallow water so that I take more weight on my legs.

That's amazing! You just made my day and it has been pretty shitty so thank you. Great to have that goal!
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Awesome!

I can "hula hoop" my hips too. I can see that coming in handy -- maybe even faster than the walking stuff.
    Last edited by JenJen; 05-20-2009 at 03:28 PM. Reason: edited typo for clarity

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Wonderful.I tear up every time I hear your progress.Totally amazing girl!

Best news I've heard in some time! Thanks for the boost.

Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

way to go Jen!! You work so hard, great news!
    Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.
    -Dorothy Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by JenJen View Post
    I am a T-4 ASIA A, 4.5 post injury. I started a round of PT about 2 months ago to deal with my scoliosis. In the process, we discovered that I have muscles firing below my level of injury.

Fantastic! Wise.

Thanks all. I'm still on Cloud 9.

Wise, maybe you can answer a question I've been getting... "How can this be?" "Has my ASIA status changed because I have volitional movement?"

Still no anal sensation and I understand that is the indicator of ASIA status.

Jen, that is wonderful!