Thread: Where can we find reliable nutritional information...the China...

Where can we find reliable nutritional information...the China...

...Study; that's where.

While mired in my search for a new home I've spent some time using the computers at the Community Health Library; chatting it up with Alison, one of the librarians there. So she became aware of my interest in nutrition and asked if I'd like to read The China Study. So what was it and what did it cover and what was it about? She brought it over to my computer station for me to peruse and I wound up checking it out last Wed.. The book contains an overview of the most significant diet/disease studies carried out in the past forty years - and the salient points contain revolutionary information. In a nutshell: all the major western, affluence associated diseases are the result of eating meat based diets. When meat is eliminated from the diet these diseases, from diabetes to cancer to heart disease, virtually disappear. Even as the amount of animal protein is reduced the incidences of these diseases likewise decrease.

As I've been evolving toward a whole foods, plant based diet for the past year or so and holding a vege. or vegan diet as my most desired, ultimate goal, this was all it took to push me over the edge and I've been enjoying a whole foods, meat free diet since last Thursday. OK, I did eat some smoked wild salmon - maybe an ounce or two each time - on Friday through Sunday, but that was all for meat since reading about these diet realities last week.

So why doesn't the general public know about this situation? Why isn't this information readily available and undisputed? What do you think? Suppose the headline on the Washington Post tomorrow was: "Milk Likely Cause of Lethal Type 1 Diabetes".
    Last edited by Juke_spin; 05-19-2009 at 05:35 PM.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

I read The China Study a few months ago. Been suggesting it to all my friends, but few want to read anything that challenges their addiction to steak, dairy, and all things deep fried.
    "I'm lost. I'm no guide, but I'm by your side." - Pearl Jam

"It decomposes, mendicant, therefore, truly, one calls this the world." -- Loka Sutta

History of the discussion

The origins of the debate about the benefits of plant vs. meat based diets runs much further into history than most of us realize. Plato has Socrates and Glaucon discussing the relative merits of the local as opposed to the constitutional theories of disease; they go on from there to the merits and consequences of meat and plant based diets.

Socrates proposes that the future cities adopt and subsist on a plant based diet with a supplementation of various condiments and light alcahol use while Glaucon insists that the cities should indulge themselves in a "civilized diet", including all the meat animals as well as those of the sea. Socrates observes that if the cities are to eat such foods they will have to have a multitude of doctors to treat the citizens for all the diseases they will suffer. Glaucon does not deny this. Then Socrates comments that the much greater amount of land need to sustain the herds of animals needed for all this meat will result in ranchers and farmers stealing and cheating in competition for it and so will necessitate a multitude of lawyers to handle the crime and disputes. And again Glaucon asceeds.

In recent and present times this historical discussion has been suppressed and the model of the American diet has been universally accepted as the best and most desired throughout the world - as the author outlines and laments. He says, in paraphrase, that we can accept this "toxic food invironment" as acceptable or at least inevitable, or we can evaluate the summaries of the studies he has reviewed in "The China Study" and numerous other sources - and make an informed decision about weather we will continue as before of adopt the much healthier whole foods, plant based diet.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane