Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: 2 yr PO & major bowel issues still persist...HELP!

Normally I would agree with Mike, but it does seem as though there is a good rationale for all of the changes that you made and you are stopping here for awhile with the changes. I would advise that you not make all the changes you are talking about doing in one swoop though.
    Good luck- it does sound as though you are on the right track.
    CKF

Central California/ (the Republican side :)
    Quote Originally Posted by metronycguy View Post
    i have a bad feeling evon,..a lot of changes in a short time. watch out for niagra falls

getting impacted like that is really bad.
    Mike, thanks for the concern I too was worried. When I went in and proudly showed my Dr. my very large,very extended tummy that I had been carryin around for so long I fondly referred to as Jr. he did not seem that worried. He just said no need to even lift your shirt I can see your tummy from here. During this 2-2.5 wk time I was having very small bowl movements occassionally, I just never got ALL cleaned out in the upper region of my colon. Anway, as you saw from my 1st post I tried so many things to relieve my constipation and even my Urologist could not correct it. So I turned here and asked my Dr. if I could try the Lactulose as rdf suggested and tried all the other stuff.....i had been on the Miralax in the hospital dont know why he took me off it. He said he did not was me takin majic bullets or mini enemas because I did not have a neurogenic(sp?) bladder and extended use of those might cause me to have one.

Well, I have a pretty nice bowel movement today so I am happy so far. Just hope to stay regular and not get compacted.

E-von
    I have a spinal cord injury...a spinal cord injury DOES NOT have me!

walking quad-Central Cord Syndrome

Quote Originally Posted by Evonne View Post
    Mike, thanks for the concern I too was worried. When I went in and proudly showed my Dr. my very large,very extended tummy that I had been carryin around for so long I fondly referred to as Jr. he did not seem that worried. He just said no need to even lift your shirt I can see your tummy from here. During this 2-2.5 wk time I was having very small bowl movements occassionally, I just never got ALL cleaned out in the upper region of my colon. Anway, as you saw from my 1st post I tried so many things to relieve my constipation and even my Urologist could not correct it. So I turned here and asked my Dr. if I could try the Lactulose as rdf suggested and tried all the other stuff.....i had been on the Miralax in the hospital dont know why he took me off it. He said he did not was me takin majic bullets or mini enemas because I did not have a neurogenic(sp?) bladder and extended use of those might cause me to have one.

Well, I have a pretty nice bowel movement today so I am happy so far. Just hope to stay regular and not get compacted.

E-von
    Glad things are looking up Evonne. I believe lactulose works on existing, impacted hard stool in the colon, unlike Miralax and other remedies which don't. That's why my doc prescribed it, to loosen up the hard shit (literally) that was impacted up in my colon. And it worked after a bit, and I got an x-ray after and was all cleaned out. The x-ray before using lactulose showed I was impacted throughout my whole colon. Best of luck, nothing better than emptying the bowels and feeling unbloated.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Evonne
    When I went in and proudly showed my Dr. my very large,very extended tummy that I had been carryin around for so long I fondly referred to as Jr. he did not seem that worried. He just said no need to even lift your shirt I can see your tummy from here.
    When I got a backed up last year, my regular GP had just retired, so I had to find a new GP. Finding a doc who would take me is hard down here -- right after moving down here, three docs had refused to take me on as a patient because I was "too complicated." Finally, the head of Internal Medicine at our local hospital, who had treated me with IV antibiotics for a pseudomonas based UTI when I was hospitalized the year before, finally agreed to see me.

By the time I got to my appointment, I was miserable. My belly was hard and distended to the point that I had gone up a clothing size. When the doc came into the exam room and asked me why I was there, I told him that my stomach was rock hard and huge, and I was miserable.

His response: "It's called FAT, my dear." Took me 10 minutes of talking to convince him that this was NOT a weight issue before he finally got up off his fat ass and walked over to me in my chair and actually touched me to confirm that what I said was true. Can't call it an exam -- I was not on the exam table (nor was I ever asked to be) and all he really did was use a few fingertips to give a couple of cursory pokes and prods through my clothes. Needless to say, my first visit to him was my last.

Why is it so hard to get docs to take these issues seriously?

Sorry about the rant. Glad you seem to be on your way to better regularity and a being a happier, more comfortable gal. Stay ahead of it -- I truly hope that you've found the formula for your perfect Goldilocks poo (i.e. not too hard, not too soft, but just right).
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar