Thread: What 's the best way to take oral meds assuring the most absorbtion?

What 's the best way to take oral meds assuring the most absorbtion?

Hi all,

A friend of mine told me she read somewhere that taking oral meds with water was the absolute best way to assure the greatest absorbtion by the body. Does anyone know about this? When I take meds, I usually take different kinds and use milk or juice or really whatever is handy at the time. Try to eat a bit of something because some meds recommend it and I thought it may increase the absorbtion. Please set me straight. I would hate to think I am doing something that is really reducing the power of a pill.
    No matter how cynical I try to be, I just can't seem to keep up with how bad things really are!

If meds come in tablet form, for best absorption is to crush the tablet and take it in in powder form. Same goes with vitamin supplements. Get the ones in capsule form. Better yet, some come in collodial form which is liquid for best absorption.

Quote Originally Posted by 6 Shooter View Post
    If meds come in tablet form, for best absorption is to crush the tablet and take it in in powder form. Same goes with vitamin supplements. Get the ones in capsule form. Better yet, some come in collodial form which is liquid for best absorption.
    This is NOT true. Many medications that come in tablet form should never be crushed, esp. those that are enteric coated or time-release. Consult with your pharmacist before you attempt to crush any tablet or open a capsule to take medications.

While water is best for most meds, some must be taken with food. Your pharmacist should be labeling them this way, or at least instructing you on this. For those, it is best to take with milk or with crackers. Some meds should only be taken on an empty stomach, so should never be taken with milk or other food items. In general, avoid grapefruit (fruit or juice) as it interferes with may prescribed medications.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by snorp View Post
    A friend of mine told me she read somewhere that taking oral meds with water was the absolute best way to assure the greatest absorbtion by the body.
    It depends on the medication. You need to talk to your doctor and read the labels carefully. Some meds should be taken with a full glass of water, some should be taken on an empty stomache, some should be taken with food. Some can be crushed up and some should NOT be crushed up or taken apart.

Talk to your doctor.

C.

I agree with KLD and Tiger Racing.
    There is no one rule to follow with all medications. Antibiotics such as Augmentin need to be taken with food to avoid the clavulinic acid (one of the components of Augmentin) from giving you a stomach ache. Non steroidals pain meds like Aspirin and Advil should be taken with food to avoid stomach pain or more serious gastritis.
    I take a cholesterol lowering drug that apparently won't work if you eat grapefruit of all things. Too bad - I love grapefruit.
    Then, there is drugs that build bone like Fosomax. With this drug, you can't drink milk or dairy products for an hour after taking it or the Fosomax won't get absorbed. In fact, they recommend not taking any food or other meds for an hour after taking it and you have to drink 8 oz of water. This is bad for me because I NEED coffee in the morning (with milk).
    Then there is the affect of food on the speed of drug absorption. It usually slows absorption which can be good or bad. Example : Lyrica. If I take this without food, it gets in my bloodstream quicker and I will have more of the side effects. If I take it with food, absorption is more gradual and I am spared the annoying side effect of spacy-ness.
    Narcs and sleeping pills work faster on an empty stomach since that are absorbed quicker.
    So it all depends on the medication, rates of absorption with or without food, and other individual factors. It is good to read or talk to your Pharmacist about it.

Thank you all. I am now educated on the subject. I will ask the appropriate professionals.
    No matter how cynical I try to be, I just can't seem to keep up with how bad things really are!

I've read that you shouldn't take calcium, Tums, Mylanta, Pepto, et al, within two hours of taking medication; Also read that orange juice and other juices have same effect as grapefruit juice.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Here is some additional information about drug-food interactions. Your pharmacist is going to be a better resource on this than your physician, sorry to say:

http://www.fda.gov/Cder/consumerinfo...teractions.htm

(KLD)

i take valium (diazepam) and i was told by the pharmacist NOT to eat grapefruit or drink the juice because it interacts with the valium.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" ~ edmund burker

c4-5 quad