Thread: shoulder issue......

shoulder issue......

my left shoulder hurts.........in the front where the joint rotates. it's not too keen on being over my head........it's not an injury yet - just sore. cancelled biking & i'm just doing what i need to do. what's best? ibuprophen & rest? get out there & run it? for sure did it paddling {it's not my casting arm!} on wed. & i'd like to go biking this wed. advice? Steve.

I assume you have already downloaded and read this booklet:

http://www.pva.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=9451

For any musculoskeletal injury, until you can get it more fully evaluated:
    Rest
    Ice
    Compresson (ace wrap)
    Elevation (to handle swelling, less appropriate for a shoulder injury)

NSAIDs are OK as long as you are not on blood thinners and you take them with food.

(KLD)

Ask a PT to show you exercises to strengthen your rotator cuff and then for your shoulder in general. Do them religiously and it'll help you immensely.

Steve - we need to face the following facts: 1. We are old. 2. We are ex-ultradistance exercise overdoers. 3. 4 hour one-off rides, 3 hour 21 mile nordic skis. Crutch walkin' exercise junkies.
    I am having anterior shoulder pain too from 'too much fun' nordic skiing. I think I have bicepital tendonitis with a painful click as it leaves the bicipital groove.
    My wife rationally says , "instead of doing 3 hours, do 1 hour." Well I am not even warmed up in one hour. My physical reality is not aligned with my mind and enthusiasm. It really sucks. Let me know what you are going to do. I hope it heals up soon.
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    Steve - we need to face the following facts: 1. We are old. 2. We are ex-ultradistance exercise overdoers. 3. 4 hour one-off rides, 3 hour 21 mile nordic skis. Crutch walkin' exercise junkies.
    I am having anterior shoulder pain too from 'too much fun' nordic skiing. I think I have bicepital tendonitis with a painful click as it leaves the bicipital groove.
    My wife rationally says , "instead of doing 3 hours, do 1 hour." Well I am not even warmed up in one hour. My physical reality is not aligned with my mind and enthusiasm. It really sucks. Let me know what you are going to do. I hope it heals up soon.
    Jon
    you nailed it, bro. my shoulders are trashed from 20+yrs. of ultra-endurance racing & world touring. i dislocated my shoulders more then a few times. i get clicking & popping, too. right now i'm in the "be nice to it & wait" stage. i *think* it's coming around........just been trying to catch up on work. if i keep my hands below my nipple line it's all good. doing the "chicken wing" is irritating. i know what you mean about exercise - 1hr doesn't get me anywhere & doesn't do much for my attitude. we'll see Wed. if i feel good i'll go biking. if not, i'll do a mellow paddle. gotta escape the paved world somehow! Steve.

Yikes. It sounds like you're experiencing what I've been going through with a partial labrial tear in my shoulder. It manifested as bicep tendonitis from wc bball and xc skiing. The ortho said over-use and my PT and Sports Therapist claimed it's postural or structural. I have been doing three months of subscapular exercises, stretches and cut out the heavy weights in bench and shoulder presses and I go days without pain. Still handcycling and swimming....For some of the exercises check out the website Webfoot posted:
    http://www.mckinley.uiuc.edu/handout...nditioning.htm

Steve, how is the shoulder doing? I am having problems as well, trying to get an MRI now to see exactly whats going on. Good luck!
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Steve, how is the shoulder doing? I am having problems as well, trying to get an MRI now to see exactly whats going on. Good luck!
    it's coming along - it's healing, but slowly. what really pisses it off is crutch walking. good luck with that MRI, O.T. ......... Steve.