Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Am I complete?

  1. #1
    Senior Member TheAbleChef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    932

    Am I complete?

    I was told by doctors after my injury that I'm incomplete and that was 5 years ago. I was just at the Neurological Pain Center and was told that I was complete. She showed me on a recent MRI that had on March 8th.

    I am able to...

    Pass urine on my own and almost my bowels as well
    I can kick my right leg back and forth, and side to side
    I have partial feeling of my right leg with pin/feather sensation and can feel hot and cold

    I have chronic nerve pain and spasms in my left leg.

    Is any of this possible if I was complete?
    Never Give Up!

  2. #2
    You cannot determine if an injury is complete (ASIA A) or incomplete (ASIA B, C, D or E) from an MRI. It requires a specialized physical exam called an ASIA exam.

    Was this a physiatrist or a neurologist? Most physicians don't know much about SCI, much less how to do an ASIA exam. Most physiatrists have this specialized training, although SCI specialists will be more expert at doing it. Have you had an ASIA exam done lately?

    Do you have normal sensation around your anus? This is a key indicator for an incomplete injury. If you do, you could be ASIA B or even C, based on your formal exam.

    Here is some more information you may want to read:

    http://sci.rutgers.edu/index.php?pag...nalLevels.html

    (KLD)

  3. #3
    Chef,
    It sounds like you have some good recovery. Are you currently exercising?
    Luke 5:24

  4. #4
    Senior Member brucec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Virginia Beach, Va
    Posts
    5,658
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    You cannot determine if an injury is complete (ASIA A) or incomplete (ASIA B, C, D or E) from an MRI. It requires a specialized physical exam called an ASIA exam.

    Was this a physiatrist or a neurologist? Most physicians don't know much about SCI, much less how to do an ASIA exam. Most physiatrists have this specialized training, although SCI specialists will be more expert at doing it. Have you had an ASIA exam done lately?

    Do you have normal sensation around your anus? This is a key indicator for an incomplete injury. If you do, you could be ASIA B or even C, based on your formal exam.

    Here is some more information you may want to read:

    http://sci.rutgers.edu/index.php?pag...nalLevels.html

    (KLD)
    damn, only asian people can be incomplete? (just joking)
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

  5. #5
    Senior Member TheAbleChef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    932
    Quote Originally Posted by tgoodwin View Post
    Chef,
    It sounds like you have some good recovery. Are you currently exercising?

    Goodwin,
    I exercise at least 3 times a week on my upper body and then 4 times a week on my legs. I got a pressure sore on my butt about over a month ago and I lost some muscle in my leg and its been hard to get it back. I start physio again on Tuesday and it will really help to strengthen my leg muscles.
    Never Give Up!

  6. #6
    Senior Member TheAbleChef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    932
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    You cannot determine if an injury is complete (ASIA A) or incomplete (ASIA B, C, D or E) from an MRI. It requires a specialized physical exam called an ASIA exam.

    Was this a physiatrist or a neurologist? Most physicians don't know much about SCI, much less how to do an ASIA exam. Most physiatrists have this specialized training, although SCI specialists will be more expert at doing it. Have you had an ASIA exam done lately?

    Do you have normal sensation around your anus? This is a key indicator for an incomplete injury. If you do, you could be ASIA B or even C, based on your formal exam.

    Here is some more information you may want to read:

    http://sci.rutgers.edu/index.php?pag...nalLevels.html

    (KLD)

    Now that you mention it, I forget what kind of doctor she was but I was at the Montreal Neurological Institute and it was an appointment regarding the implanting either a Baclofen Pump or a Neuro Stimulator. I said no to both since they still don't know where my pain is coming from. I do know that she requistioned a Lumbar CT to determine the connectivity of my spinal cord. I don't have normal sensation of my anus but I can feel it a little and I have some muscle control. Most days I can push out stool on my own.
    Never Give Up!

  7. #7
    Being able to move your legs is pretty cool. I'm complete and can't feel anything but pain and definitely can't move my legs.
    Mary
    I want to Rock you Gypsy soul and together we will flow into the Mystic.
    Van Morrison

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAbleChef View Post
    I was told by doctors after my injury that I'm incomplete and that was 5 years ago. I was just at the Neurological Pain Center and was told that I was complete. She showed me on a recent MRI that had on March 8th.

    I am able to...

    Pass urine on my own and almost my bowels as well
    I can kick my right leg back and forth, and side to side
    I have partial feeling of my right leg with pin/feather sensation and can feel hot and cold

    I have chronic nerve pain and spasms in my left leg.

    Is any of this possible if I was complete?

    Based on what you mentioned, it sounds like your injury is incomplete being that you have movement below the injury site.

  9. #9
    Incomplete.

  10. #10
    Senior Member TheAbleChef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    932
    I hope so. I was told that I was Incomplete after my first MRI. It wouldn't be the end of th world, but I'd feel like I've been lied to all these years.

    Does anybody have voluntary movement below their site of injury?
    Never Give Up!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 51
    Last Post: 01-03-2006, 06:32 AM
  2. Complete w/some feeling?
    By helpchristina in forum New SCI
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-21-2005, 05:46 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-01-2003, 11:33 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-21-2003, 06:21 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-21-2001, 04:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •