Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PERCOCET vs. Oxycodone HCL - PLEASE help!

Red face PERCOCET vs. Oxycodone HCL - PLEASE help!

I have been taking Percocet [Oxycodone 5/325] for the past several months regularly due to a severe knee injury. My doctor today prescribed me Oxycodone HCL 5mg tablets.. 100 of them, actually. I am the type of person who gets very nervous when taking a new medication. I saw this forum, and signed up in hopes that I could find some assistance from other people who may have some sort of knowledge of the difference[s] the drugs have compared with each other.

I know that Percocet has tylenol in it, where as the ocycodone HCL does not. However, what does the HCL do for you pain wise is another thing that I'd like to know..

Thanks in advance for all the help.. I look forward to hearing some answers back.

The only difference between the two is presence or absence of tylenol. Both contain oxycodone hydrochloride. The HCl is not a separate medication, oxycodone HCl is only a more complete name for the oxycodone formula.

BL,
    I agree with dunwawry. The reason for the change may be the acetametiphen is hard on ones liver. After time, if it is indicated that you may be on the med for a length of time, it is a good change to make. The effects are the same except for the reduction in inflamation that the acet. may have been offering. You are probably using ice and heat to control that to some degree. Consult with the doc on occational use of inbruprophen or some over the counter non-steroidal anti-inflamatory drug for additional help when needed. I wouldn't do it without the docs ok. You may have had a bad lab test indicating liver problems. The dosage is the same as you have been taking. 5/325= 5mg oxy and 325 acet. Good luck with your injury. Hope you have a GOOD PT. They can perform great progress if your lucky to get a good one.
    One last thing...I am assuming by your post that you are kinda new to pain meds. After taking several months of Percs, you may have a little bit of a physical dependency. I offer this info so you can be knowledgable of the reality and not to scare you. 5mg is the smallest dosage they make and if you are following the script to the letter there shouldn't be a big problem. But drugs are insidious. At times they can actually cause more pain because your brain wants more. Read up, in here and elsewhere, on the reality of the med you're on. Used wisely, it can be a God send. Abuse it and you will not care for the bill that will come due. BTW, I'm just a regular guy in here. There are pros that can tell you the real deal. Good luck!!
    Last edited by snorp; 05-14-2009 at 10:56 PM. Reason: add info
    No matter how cynical I try to be, I just can't seem to keep up with how bad things really are!

Quote Originally Posted by benevolentlaughter View Post
    I have been taking Percocet [Oxycodone 5/325] for the past several months regularly due to a severe knee injury. My doctor today prescribed me Oxycodone HCL 5mg tablets.. 100 of them, actually. I am the type of person who gets very nervous when taking a new medication. I saw this forum, and signed up in hopes that I could find some assistance from other people who may have some sort of knowledge of the difference[s] the drugs have compared with each other.

I know that Percocet has tylenol in it, where as the ocycodone HCL does not. However, what does the HCL do for you pain wise is another thing that I'd like to know..

Thanks in advance for all the help.. I look forward to hearing some answers back.

As was said, it's the same pill minus a ton of Tylenol. I used to also be on Percocet for my foot pain, but got switched to straight 5mg pills of Oxycodone and i personally noticed no difference, the doctor just didn't want me taking in so much Tylenol each day.

One thing to be careful of, Oxycodone can cause constipation. I noticed after some time taking Oxycodone that i started crapping bricks and needed to take in more fiber, drink more water, and i also started taking Docusate Calcium which is a crap softener.

If you get no pain relief with oxycodone HCL or without tylenol, some people chase down 1 tylenol AND 1 5 MG Oxycodone. I think the Tylenol helps a LOT. So much so I OFTEN take 1 Tylenol and a HALF of a Oxycodone with Tylenol and get a lot of relief. The Oxycodone with Tylenol is 325 MG so half a pill is about 160 of Tylenol, and about 2.5 MG of oxycodone and than 1 500 M of Tylenol. The total Tylenol is than about 660 with about 2.5 of Oxycodone or a half of percoset.

I miss taking that drug. I wasn't even in pain and I would request it. I would take one and then wait until I was allowed to have another one. I pulled a fast one on them, suckers.

i dont think you pulled a ''fast one''. i think they believed you were in pain and you just wanted the high. why brag about that??

god bless
    josh

sorry wasnt trying to get away from point of thread[subject].
    Many Blessings,
    Josh

So we can say with confidence, The Lord is my helper, so I will have no fear. What can mere people do to me?" Hebrew13:6

Quote Originally Posted by kkmay View Post
    I miss taking that drug. I wasn't even in pain and I would request it. I would take one and then wait until I was allowed to have another one. I pulled a fast one on them, suckers.
    And on behalf of all of us who NEED opioid meds to survive, thanks for nothing. You've just perpetuated the perception that we're all fucking drug seekers who don't really need pain meds. You have no idea how many people you've hurt by pulling a "fast one on the suckers" and then bragging about it here.

If this post was supposed to be some kind of joke, it isn't funny, especially in the Pain Forum.

Go back to your baseball games -- at least you don't hurt people with that past time.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

How can it be a joke if I was being serious? you guys are awfully sensitive.

They are sensitive for good reason. Apparently you are lucky enough to never have experienced continual, unrelenting excruciating pain.
    In our experience, there is no high when opioids are taken responsibly for pain, for which they can work wonders (for some people). There is no excuse for misuse, which has resulted in many, many potentially responsible users being in unnecessary pain.
    - Richard