Thread: Stephanie Cadieux is first wheelchair-riding MLA since Doug Mowat (Canada)

Stephanie Cadieux is first wheelchair-riding MLA since Doug Mowat (Canada)

Stephanie Cadieux is first wheelchair-riding MLA since Doug Mowat

By Charlie Smith
    People with disabilities might take some comfort in the election tonight of Stephanie Cadieux as the new B.C. Liberal MLA in Surrey-Panorama Ridge.
    Cadieux, director of marketing and development at the B.C. Paraplegic Association, gets around in a wheelchair after suffering a spinal-cord injury when she was 18.
    She's the first wheelchair-bound MLA since Doug Mowat, who was a Social Credit MLA from 1983 to 1991 in Vancouver-Little Mountain.
    Like Cadieux, Mowat also worked at the B.C. Paraplegic Association.
    There are some important issues that Cadieux might want to look into after she's sworn into office.
    People recovering from spinal-cord injuries at the G.F. Strong Rehabilitation Centre could benefit from having a useable X-ray machine on the premises, rather than having to travel to the hospital at UBC for these tests.
    In addition, Cadieux could put pressure on the federal government to adopt a gentler approach on people with federal student loans who are suddenly disabled by a spinal-cord injury.
    Then, there are the constant problems with transit. The Campbell government, like its NDP predecessor, is obsessed with building gold-plated rapid-transit projects that serve a relatively small percentage of the population.
    These projects are expensive, and they cannibalize the bus system, which transports many more people across the region.

http://www.straight.com/article-2201...mla-doug-mowat

Wink Wow! Hurray! (sarcasticly)

Wow! Hurray!

What a great achivement!

If we can put man on the moooooooooo

We also can put person in whelchair in every bloody hole, instead of finding cure!

Max

Maybe I'm just grumpy & tired but there are a few things in that article that irk me. The take comfort statement for one comes across as patronising. Next the GF Strong thing, GF isn't in her constitiunsey sp? & everybody has to travel for tests & procedures at some point, saying that GF Strong needs a x-ray machine is kind of implying "ah those poor gimps need special treatment"

We actually need a new GF Strong, parts of it date from the 1950's!

I think the way it's written kind of portray her as being disability advocate only. Am I just picking a fight?

Arrow

Nope Canuck

I think same, every 2nd gimplol like me who gets little power or position suddenly becomes motivational speaker (patronizing others) & /or strong advocat for issues not related to cure.

Moreover, most are glorified by press...

Anyway we bothlol could be tired, wrong, bitter ....etc and so on

u guys are right

and this writer seem about as smart as a box of rocks

take this,
    .................................................. ........
    Then, there are the constant problems with transit. The Campbell government, like its NDP predecessor, is obsessed with building gold-plated rapid-transit projects that serve a relatively small percentage of the population.
    These projects are expensive, and they cannibalize the bus system, which transports many more people across the region.
    ------------------------------------------

yes mass transit is expensive upfront but long term and to say it would only serve a few.

and of course the writer assumes the gimp cares or knows nothing about other issues
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."