Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Dme reviews- good and bad

I have no way there. I get to go some place , maybe 2 or 3 times a year. lol. Hope you guys get it going.
    oh well

Update on Woodrow Wilson:
    I got my chair, a TiLite 2GX two weeks ago, on the 11th. I've been moving and starting a new job, so I don't have any pictures yet, but I will put them in a new thread when I do.
    The chair wasn't too expensive - only about $4000. With all the options and backrest and seat cushion, I think this is just about retail price. Nothing like the $10 grand gouging some of you have seen.
    I didn't even see the DME this time. It was just me and Joe Fangman, the PT. He was very helpful and knowledgable as always.
    The chair wasn't set up perfectly, but we got it usable with a few minor adjustments and I've been able to get it almost perfect with a few more adjustments since.
    Woodrow Wilson has been a very positive experience. Also, Joe showed me an Air Flight chair. He was concerned that the footrest was not attached very sturdily, but I liked it. It wasn't as light as I'd hoped, but it wasn't too heavy either.

dme reviews

fuente- this is a productive idea. I am in the NY Metro/NJ. I have MS and went for my first chair. First off, you and a few handful of people here were so much help and I come here from time to time and get great insight....
    I went through Kessler wc clinic. Kessler was good, ot was OK ( over conservative and not too insightful on various options ) and wc could be five + degrees tighter. DME who is AllCare Medical in NJ. The rep was not to be found in the ordering process, communicated to me like a stop sign. I had to fight for them to go after the ins. company for they wanted me to take $3200 out of my pocket... after 6 weeks of me fighting with the ins. co i finally ordered the wc and ended up spending $600 out of pocket for a zra, which i like. After delivery D's which are great were not installed correctly so I had no brakes(fun ), took days to come out and when they got there they could not repair it. D's (great guys) sent out new parts and- 2 weeks later it was fixed.
    Next event was the the d's locks on the rims need those small screws- they wanted to charge me $5.00 per screw ( i bought 100 for $4.00) and $65/hour to bring them to me. last the tube in the spinergy went flat and i was pushing a flat tire for almost 2 weeks and they showed up with the wrong size! moral of the story is if you go to kessler for a WC clinic interview the DME's versus getting who they assign! net net everyone here are so much help to people like me.... i wish i can buy you all new chairs. seriously
    Last edited by picasso; 08-28-2009 at 08:43 PM.
    Making soup out of mud

Cool I've Been Around

Quote Originally Posted by kenf View Post
    I made my yearly visit to Metro thursday for a check up and my scrips. I was talking to the rehab SCI doc about how bad HAO is. He basicly ignored what I had to say about them. I asked why does Metro use those idiots , he had no answer.
    Health Aid of Ohio is the biggest DME in Ohio. They and Invacare stand astride the DME scene like Colossus.

I am a C5/C6 incomplete Quad injured in 1983. I have dealt with Omed(defunct), Hanger(defunct), Accucare(incompentent), Millers(greedy & myopic), and currently Health Aid of Ohio(myopic). My first wheelchair was thru Omed. Thanks to miscommunication with Omed and stank ass Blue Cross, I was sent home with no wheelchair or bed when released from Metro 7th floor back in early summer of (I was 16) 1984. Had to sit in a kitchen chair with a pillow for a cushion. Slept in my old twin bed upstairs; which meant I was trapped upstairs all day. Only received a manual wheelchair thru Omed (E&J Quicksilver) thanks to my Mom's insurance Mail Handlers. Blue Cross refused to cover anything further. Got a free used bed from a C4/5 Quad who ended up going to jail on drug trafficking charges. Who said you can't be gangsta in a wheelchair?

Millers supplied my next manual wheelchair, a Quickie solid frame. I had no issues with Millers until it came to repairs. Their service guys aren't very good. And they don't give a damn about you going without equipment. Their only concern is M-O-N-E-Y. Pre approval from the insurer. And you know how long that takes. They had to do a repair on my Hoyer, it took six months before I heard from them about scheduling a service call. By that time I had paid out of pocket to HAO to do the repairs.

Next up, Health Aid of Ohio, I have had some minor issues and some major league ass ups (more later on the ass ups) with them. They also supplied my first power wheelchair in late 2002. Nevertheless, if you keep your foot on their damn necks and do not deal directly with the sales reps over there, you can generally get what you want. See I live in Cleveland (Eastside) and will not hesitate to jump in my van and drive over there to get in somebody's ass. That is part of the reason I have not had as many issues with them as some. But like a pitbull, if HAO smells weakness in you, if they suspect you're not watching every step they make...lookout!
    C5/C6 - 10-28-1983

"Think, it aint illegal yet!" - George Clinton

I am also trying to locate a DME in Florida. I need to order a new TIlite and nobody near me deals with them. I called 5 of the DMEs listed on the TIlite dealer locator site and 4 never even heard of TIlite. Phone calls and emails to TIlite haven't produced a solution. All I need is for someone to process the paperwork who is a Preffered Blue Cross supplier. I'll call a few of the recommended sources from the previous posts and see if I can get the order processed even if I'm in another state.
    "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and other people may not be able to tell the difference."

i love this.

yup HEALTH AID OF OHIO ARE CROOKSD AND BEING INVESTIGATED.

24/7 try atg rehab. theuy will just ship the chair to u.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

John - which atg rehab did you use?
    "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and other people may not be able to tell the difference."

Quote Originally Posted by 24/7 Quad View Post
    John - which atg rehab did you use?
    i used the cinci office. cindy adams
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

24/7,
    If you call TiLite press the number for directory and search for Dominic Sanchez. This is who I spoke with (and specifically call when I have questions) about my Aero Z. He is a chair user himself and is very helpful! Good luck finding a DME, hopefully Dominic (or someone else at TiLite) can help.
    ~Mandy~
    SCI as a result of spinal surgery
    TiLite Aero Z!!!

ok to wrap up. i have my zr and its perfect.

marty ball dealt w/ me directly, he is fantastic. pushed my zr through in 5 days, spot on. then it took atg over a week to put d's locks on an ship.

now to atg. as far as dme's go they are fine, the girls there are incredible. although atg does have very high margins which kicks your copay up.

as for the other dmes that i dealt with
    health aid are crooks
    access for ind i do not recommend.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com