Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Dme reviews- good and bad

united seating sucks in stlouis didn't have a solid back to demo and messed up my chair acted like whatever he had he had or just o well kept telling me we don't have this or I don't deal with that
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Presque Isle Orthopedic Laboratory & Medical Technologies in Erie, Pennsylvania. For those of you who may not know, that is in the Northwestern corner of the state.

Judging by my experience(s), you'd be better off finding a giant sheet, waiting for a strong gust of wind, and hoping it takes hold and drops you off where you need to go.

To be fair, my main dealings with them took place 8 years ago, and from what I understand the guy who ran the place has since left, but holy shit, it was awful.

It began when I was in the hospital, after having a spinal cord tumor (T-11 - T-12, caused by Neurosarcoidosis) removed. They were called in by my patient advocate (who, by the way, was amazing) to supply my wheelchair, which I needed before being discharged so I could go home. A man named Bob -- whose name I will never forget because he repeatedly said "I'm Bob; if you need me, I'll be around -- like a donut" ad nauseum -- came to do my measuring and ordering. He was very nice, but I came to find he had absolutely no idea what he was doing.

I got the chair, and was never comfortable, but assumed it was because I wasn't used to using a wheelchair. Fast forward to present day, I now know the reason for my lack of comfort was that the chair is fitted FOR SOMEONE WHO HAD BOTH OF THEIR LEGS AMPUTATED! The wheels are six inches too far back; it would take too long to list everything wrong with it.

Also, now that I know a little about how this works, I realize he also made sure to order upgrades on things that were not necessary. Large rear wheels with intense tread, HUGE front wheels, etc.

Now, Bob was the one did the measuring and ordering, but the man who was in charge of the company is the one who delivered the chair. He said it turned out great, wished me luck and sent me on my way. Take note of this, because it comes back into play shortly. His name was Jim.

So, after 5 or so years went by, I started to look into getting a new chair. I'm from a very small town, and because of that, I had no idea where to go. I called them. They asked if I had ever dealt with them before, I told them yes, that I had dealt with Bob and then Jim. An appointment was made to see Jim. I spoke to him on the phone, and he assured me they had "tons" of chairs for me to try, lots of options, etc. It was going to be great and they were going to help me.

So, when it came time for the appointment, there was literally one chair to try; which, after having me sit in it for maybe 3 minutes, he was already trying to move on to the next phase of ordering. Also, when I arrived, he asked who had sold me that chair, outright telling me it was completely wrong for me. I told him he had sold it to me, reminding him of the entire situation 5 years prior. He then went on to tell me that they fired Bob shortly thereafter because he was "screwing up all of his orders."

So, they knew he was screwing up, but didn't think they should go back and check in with people to make sure their chairs were OK. Also, he was way more interested in telling me about how he dated the only paraplegic model to ever be featured in PLAYBOY(?!) -- in front of my mother, mind you -- than actually answering my questions about chairs. Sorry, the chair. His only passion was being a businessman, not helping people.

There's a little more, but you get the point.

Maybe my experience was a rarity. For others' sakes, I hope to hell so. But, for a review, that's all I have to go on, and I would feel terrible if someone could've been helped and I didn't say anything. Their staff may be top notch today, but I would be cautious until you know for sure.

P.S. - Jim apparently left to start some sort of software company. Obviously, this is my personal opinion, but if you ever have to deal with someone named Jim Nolan, don't.
    Last edited by User Name; 08-10-2014 at 09:21 PM.

DO NOT EVER USE NUMOTION IN FORT WAYNE OR INDIANAPOLIS.

And my first post in this thread was a positive for United Seating and Mobility in Indianapolis, which is now NuMotion. Ever since the changeover they've been horrible. And now I was forced to work with NuMotion out of Fort Wayne (against my will) by vocational rehabilitation, and dare I say they've been even worse. I've been working with Mark Berron who has been awful. If things shape up, I will remove his name from this thread but as of now things have been horrific and I feel bad enough to list him by name. I'm too furious to tell the whole story unbiased right now, so I will come back to edit that in as well.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Stephen @ Bike-on

Long story short....I have been injured 26 years this year but all that time has been spent walking with braces and a cane/forearm crutches.

I have been literally sick to my stomach trying to figure out how and what to order for my first chair. My injury level has changed so it is time I have to go to a chair for daily living and walking distances.

I was hesitant to ask anyone because I was going through a DME at Craig hospital.

So they should know what I need and be able to order an appropriate chair right???? There is only so much knowledge that can be gained or known about the needs of a paralyzed patient by people who have not lived it. Craig is an OUTSTANDING facility and they are the most knowledgeable place I have ever received treatment. So this is not meant as derogatory against my physical therapist in any way. She was amazing at her job and suggesting things to meet my needs.

However, some of the knowledge we need only comes with experience. They suggested a Ti Lite chair but I was worried about moving parts and the ability to last and stand up to an active user. Plus I can still move my legs so I wanted to be able to foot propel. I also do not want removeable foot plates. Experience with my braces has taught me the more moving parts there are to equipment, the bigger risk of failure.

So I messaged Stephen Feldman on Facebook. I saw a wheelchair that he posted to his timeline and had no idea that he actually worked at http://bike-on.com/ .He called me yesterday and then sent me some emails. The exact information that I needed. I cannot thank him enough for taking time to help me.

Ordering a chair and equipment is or should be the equivalent of shopping for a car. So many great, mediocre, and really bad products out there. I won't compare Stephen to a used car salesman....lol

But if I were.....and he just sold me a car....I would say it was a great experience and he has lots of knowledge lol

However, he took quite an amount of time to find some things and send me emails on things that I had not even considered that may effect life and the chair down the road. He didn't sell me a thing....nor even suggested it.

But I have a lot more knowledge today than I did yesterday on what is available to make this "life transition" a better one and get the most out of this aging SCI life as I can.

I hope everyone could have that knowledge before making such a life transition. Some things can only be learned by experience from those who have lived it.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

nor Numotion in colorado...theyre a money hungry mess

I seriously doubt there is more than one honest, knowledgeable, helpful, friendly, DME full service vendor in this entire country. Since I have two torn (massively) rotator cuffs with the accompanying arthritis and atrophied muscle that seems to go along with this problem. So a manual chair is out of the question. Even when I asked if the results of total replacement shoulder hardware his prognosis was it was very likely I could lose all the weight bearing I have now might be lost. That would cost me the last of self mobility I have.

So again that is why I have a power wheelchair. I had been able to make my own power chairs, from junkers, and used on line power chairs. My wife helps me twist wrenches with my direction.

I do not have the means to purchase a new chair, and waiting until the day after my death to wait for Medicare to move on this situation doesn't appear to be a resolution. The garbage that the DME vendors have to offer seems to be useless as well. The whole process needs to be thrown out and start again. That will never happen in my lifetime. Of course I am 76 years old now, A quick application of Alzheimer's would be merciful, then I could die without knowing what things that are really lost to me. Isn't that pathetic? My mind is so active and my body is so useless.

Sorry to spout off so badly, but the subject of Wheelchairs and Power wheelchairs and their manufacturers, and peddlers just sets me off.

Go to what ever vendor you choose, bring a few 3-4 big 6'-6" 250#-300# guys with you intimidate the vendor with serious bodily harm without saying anything or threatening verbally. But make an impression any screwing with you will cause extreme discomfort. Maybe you'll get somewhere, they are almost all terrible people. Good Luck, yours and many stories back down the line are not fallacy, And we the end user are not very threatening. They the vendors as well as their mental midget mechanics are people who take advantage of us.

There appears to be limited activity on this thread the past couple of years, but I thought I would post anyways. I wish I had looked at this before I made my purchase of hand rims from Melrose Kiwi Concept Chairs. Although there is only one prior mention of Melrose Kiwi Concept Chairs and that was in 2011, I still found this thread very useful. I actually should have used the CareCure site before purchasing them. Anyways, I was looking to replace my current hand rims with hand rims that would be more tackier or stickier. I want those type of hand rims for pushing my chair around the house while not needing gloves on. As a C5/C6 quad, I have no hand function and basically push with my palms. Back to Melrose. According to their website, I was purchasing "Alloy Hand Rim coated in a very grippy, hard wearing black rubber coating. Increased diameter and soft texture allows for comfortable pushing." Well, one out of two hand rims somewhat met the description. At $155 a piece I was expecting everything to match. One of the hand rims was grippy. Hard, not soft, but at least grippy. The other hand rim, which looked like it had the same coating, was hard and very slick. I called them and spoke with Carmen, who is sales, about my problem and was told I would have to speak with Charlie. I spoke with Charlie about my issue and his response was, "I don't know what to tell you." Keeping this short, I sent the hand rim back, paid a $35 re-stocking fee and had a new one sent out. I received the replacement one yesterday and it is the same as the one I had returned, very slick and hard. I did speak with Carmen today about my order being wrong. When I told her I shouldn't have to pay another re-stocking fee. She stated that I should know not to get what I expect from an online order. Bottom line, I would not recommend anyone from purchasing anything from Melrose Kiwi Concept Chairs.

Quote Originally Posted by DaDutchman View Post
    There appears to be limited activity on this thread the past couple of years, but I thought I would post anyways. I wish I had looked at this before I made my purchase of hand rims from Melrose Kiwi Concept Chairs. Although there is only one prior mention of Melrose Kiwi Concept Chairs and that was in 2011, I still found this thread very useful. I actually should have used the CareCure site before purchasing them. Anyways, I was looking to replace my current hand rims with hand rims that would be more tackier or stickier. I want those type of hand rims for pushing my chair around the house while not needing gloves on. As a C5/C6 quad, I have no hand function and basically push with my palms. Back to Melrose. According to their website, I was purchasing "Alloy Hand Rim coated in a very grippy, hard wearing black rubber coating. Increased diameter and soft texture allows for comfortable pushing." Well, one out of two hand rims somewhat met the description. At $155 a piece I was expecting everything to match. One of the hand rims was grippy. Hard, not soft, but at least grippy. The other hand rim, which looked like it had the same coating, was hard and very slick. I called them and spoke with Carmen, who is sales, about my problem and was told I would have to speak with Charlie. I spoke with Charlie about my issue and his response was, "I don't know what to tell you." Keeping this short, I sent the hand rim back, paid a $35 re-stocking fee and had a new one sent out. I received the replacement one yesterday and it is the same as the one I had returned, very slick and hard. I did speak with Carmen today about my order being wrong. When I told her I shouldn't have to pay another re-stocking fee. She stated that I should know not to get what I expect from an online order. Bottom line, I would not recommend anyone from purchasing anything from Melrose Kiwi Concept Chairs.
    My reply is a long while after your post, but you might want to consider a new hand rim found at ribgrips.com. I will be posting a review of it when I have a bit more experience, but sounds exactly like what you are looking for. With these rims, you can even push with the side or back of your hand if grip is an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by WaveWolf View Post
    My reply is a long while after your post, but you might want to consider a new hand rim found at ribgrips.com. I will be posting a review of it when I have a bit more experience, but sounds exactly like what you are looking for. With these rims, you can even push with the side or back of your hand if grip is an issue.
    I'll be interested in your review. I'd like to know how well they hold up to sharp edges like what is on the sides of the ramp for my van. My current hand rims have quite a few slices in them and have now also become a little glazed over making them harder to push now.
    DaDutchman
    C5/C6 since 2007 due to car accident