Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Dme reviews- good and bad

Just remember, this is the company that made the decision to donate a brand new custom ZRA to me, because my previous chair (brand unnamed) nearly killed me on several occasions. They went the extra mile and more, and I'll be forever grateful.

I couldn't even get a new chair with Medi-Cal, because I was talked into a powerchair 8 years back by a vendor, when I didn't need one. Since then, Medi-Cal refuses to get what I really use, and I'm stuck with a powerchair that doesn't fit me, and is a dud. Most all of the DME's here are plain awful.

Quote Originally Posted by wchuckw View Post
    First post ever on CC; kinda nervous.

Apria Helathcare (at least in the greater Chicago-land area) was horrible to deal with when I needed repairs to my Quickie Ti. Over many, many months they would only replace some of the parts while not having others. Ended up having to take an entire day off work to sit in their lobby while they completed "all" the repairs. They ended up stripping several bolt leaving me to hacksaw the heads off. Two big thumbs down to Apria (and one down to RIC for "referring" me to them).

A guy on a competing bball team in Michigan has been working with me to order a new chair. Just need to decide what to get.
    Apria Healthcare in Burr Ridge, IL (outside of CHicago) was horrible to deal with and always got my orders messed up. I too would go sit in their lobby to make certain they ordered the right parts, etc. Apria sold this part of their business to a company called RehabTECH/Wheelchair Doctors but did not get product (wheelchair etc.) serial numbers in the transaction so getting parts can be an issue until you find the serial number.

They have recently closed the Burr Ridge location and I found their location in Lombard, IL. I went in to order some new tires and tubes and some front casters. I was told that it could be a few weeks to a few months because they were on credit hold with some of their vendors. Their claim is Illinois is slow paying its bills and some of their suppliers won't release parts. Even when I said I'd pay out of my own pocket I was told it may not matter with some suppliers. I was told this is similar for other DMEs in Illinois and other states but wonder. Has anyone else been experiencing this? I'm a bit nervous because if I need a part and I am willing to pay for it I may have to wait for some undefined period of time.

My Ti-Lite TRc is over 8 years old and the frame cracked about a year or so ago. Ti-Lite stepped up and replaced the frame free of charge per the warranty and got me the new one pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by steveg View Post
    I went in to order some new tires and tubes and some front casters.
    No offense, but why in the world would you go in and deal with a company like that? Why not go to sportaid or bikeon if you're paying out of pocket?

Quote Originally Posted by taziar View Post
    No offense, but why in the world would you go in and deal with a company like that? Why not go to sportaid or bikeon if you're paying out of pocket?
    Good point. Just to clarify, I want to go through insurance for all of these. I need the tires quickly but can wait on the other items. Once I heard it might take a few months I said I'd pay for the tires out of pocket if there was an issue around getting them quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Donno View Post
    Guy answered my email right away and was happy to help. I called his office the next day, and when they found out that I was in Western Massachusetts, they suggested I deal with their Chicopee office. I sent them a referral from my doc, and they said that they would process it through my insurance company. A week later, I called, and they hadn't done anything because there were a few questions that I needed to answer - they would call back when they heard something. Two weeks later, they "would check again with the insurance company" again. Two more weeks later they promised to call right now and promised to call me back one way or another.

This process started out at the end of May, and the last time I heard from Hudson was the end of July. They have never made the promised return call. The referral? Frogleg forks and softroll wheels through Tilite.

If you are going to deal with HHHC, I would suggest that you refuse to deal with anyone except Guy.

Don
    Don, I am sorry you got put through the ringer, but I have only dealt with Guy and he is always pretty good with me with returning calls or emails and what not.
    Tough Times Don't Last...Tough People Do!

Hand Controls

I just got a set of Menox hand controls installed from Mark at Affordable Mobility he did an awesome job, and was very easy to deal with. He has a small shop just him, and his son, but it is a busy shop. I would use him before I use Ride-Away. Here is his website
    http://www.affordablemobility.com/hand_controls.shtml
    Tough Times Don't Last...Tough People Do!

Quote Originally Posted by spasticXfantastic View Post
    i went through ATG rehab for my quickie... i wasn't impressed with them. the sales person who was "helping" us didn't seem like he knew what he was doing. he ordered all these things i didn't need. i felt like he was trying to fill a quota or something. he insisted that i have e-motion wheels... i told him i didn't want them, but he ordered them with my chair anyways. he kept saying "oh, these are the new thing, you'll love these, everyone loves them, i've never had anyone tell me they don't like them!" guess what. i don't like them. i've never even used them outside of the house because they're too heavy to put in the car.
    because he ordered them, my insurance denied regular wheels... i had to pay out-of-pocket for the other wheels i have.
    they also ordered all these random things that i just ended up taking off the chair... like, i said i used crutches sometimes so they stuck a crutch holder on the back... i told him i was in school, so they ordered a backpack (!?)

we also deal with apria on a monthly basis for tube feeding things... they've been really good about getting the stuff we need (they usually only deal with mic-key buttons/extentions but they special order AMT buttons and extensions for us) and i've never had a problem with not getting enough supplies.
    we used to have coram and they were awful. the only good part about them was that the nurse who came to the house once a week basically kicked ass.
    they were terrible about getting supplies out on time and many times we would get a shipment of supplies where some stuff was missing, or the wrong size or brand had been sent.
    We use ATG too...but we have always had a good experience. Toby listens to us and if we tell him we do not want something...we do not get it. He never forces a type of chair or piece of equipment on us. Guess it all depends on who you go to within the company.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

TD Medical in Hollywood, Fl , (Dave & Jay especially) the best!
    "The sweet is not as sweet without the bitter"
    ~"Vanilla Sky"~

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Have you looked into the TopEnd Crossfire Titanium? I've never tried one, but as far as I can tell from pictures and descriptions, there's not a whole lot of difference between it and a TiLite ZR.
    You are correct. I have a Top End Titanium and a TiLite ZRA. The chairs are relatively the same, but the price, TiLite is MUCH MORE expensive to purchase and get parts for.